Free Thinking Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Drift Stealth 170 Question

I got one for Christmas and been playing with it some. I know it is a very wide angle but when I take still pictures I get vignetting on the left side only. I find this odd. With a fisheye lens this happens but it is equal on all sides.

Is my lens out of alinement? Does anyone else have this?
    FILE0066.jpg
    Personally I am disappointed in the quality of the still photos compared to the high quality of video this thing produces. The stills look like pictures taken with a cell phone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your lens may be a little turned. Look at the rubber tab on the lens - make sure that is straight up.

As for the quality, you can set the zoom in and it seems to take care of some of the fish eye effect. Remember in picture mode it is only 5 MP and many phones are better.

Another option is to cut out frames in a video that you really like and save them as a single picture.

I've had mine a short time and I am still learning it's tricks. I will tell you that you get better video when you have it on your Spyder than inside a jeep ...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I ran into a similar issue when I was taking pictures with my newly received Drift HD mounted in various positions on my RT.

Due to the wide angle of the lens it was easy to place the camera in such a position that it picked up the edge of a panel, or windshield, that I thought were well out of picture taking range. With a little experimentation I solved this issue and now make sure not to take for granted that my line of sight is perfectly clear.

As mentioned previously, the 5 MP resolution of the Stealth 170 pretty well matches the resolution of most cell phone cameras. The video is excellent, but the camera is merely good.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage