Thread: Rear Tire

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire

Fam,

It's time for me to change the rear tire on my 08 GS after 20,000+ miles. It's my first time, so could you please give me some feedback on where to find a replacement and how much it's gonna cost. I'm not trying to break the bank, but wanna enjoy my future rides as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

If you got 20,000 out of a stock tire, that's the way I'd go again. That is phenomenal mileage. See your dealer for the stock Kenda tire. Cost will depend on whether he mounts and balances it, and whether you bring in just the rim, or the entire Spyder. He can advise you.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice.

Spyder Garage

There are a few good alternatives out there that many SpyderLovers are using with good results. These will usually give you longer wear and for less money than a stock tire, (thought 20k is amazing as Scotty said, it's about twice the average).

I highly recommend getting the same size, directional tire specifically designed to run will in wet conditions. Hydroplaneing is the biggest issue with that rear tire so you want to stick with something designed along the same lines as the stock tire if you do go elsewhere.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Falken ZE912 here...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If you got 20,000 out of a stock tire, that's the way I'd go again. That is phenomenal mileage. See your dealer for the stock Kenda tire. Cost will depend on whether he mounts and balances it, and whether you bring in just the rim, or the entire Spyder. He can advise you.
    I get about 12K no matter what tire I use. If you got 20K I would stick with stock.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Falken ZE912 here...

Not yet it aint Bob !!!

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

stock tire I got 10,000 miles....2nd tire Kumo something and I got about 18,000 miles....had to change on the road in Dodge City, Ks...$140 for tire at tire store and $120 for installation at Harley shop.....but when on the road...you do what you have to do...I now run a different Kumo with about 3,000 miles....ordered from Discount Direct $80 bucks...took rim and tire to tire changer store $6 buck plus 2 bucks to get rid of old tire.....I'll check the #'s and edit....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well it's on... Only problem is that the swingarm ain't...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I just had my rear tire on my 2008 PE replaced; I had 21K on it. Like Lamont, I felt that if it lasted me that long I was going to replace it with the OEM Kendra. It cost me $149 for the tire and $56 to mount and balance. Given what others have paid, I thought that was a fair price. I'm happy and the bike is smiling.

ken tompkins

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire

You can't go wrong with a Michelin,I just chunked the front out of round Kendas with 2500 miles on them. Any problems on the road, dont need a Can Am dealer. Good Luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wattsmyname View Post
    You can't go wrong with a Michelin,I just chunked the front out of round Kendas with 2500 miles on them. Any problems on the road, dont need a Can Am dealer. Good Luck
    Which Michelin did you get?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Michelin Tires

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, I went with the 185/60R 14's on the front, they are a snug fit but others have said 185's fit and they do. I have only taken it out once with 28 PSI, all is well. First impression was it seemed to turn with less effort but can't say for sure, they were $100 each mounted/balanced. With these new Michelins and my 30 tooth sprocket, it is such an improvement I am starting to like this thing better, so much better that I took it off Craigs List.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Which Michelin did you get?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went with the Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra tire and LOVE it. Has a very similar tread pattern as the OEM tire but is a performance auto tire. Here is the link: http://www.onlinetires.com/search/ve...ds/page_1.html