Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I had two Valkyrie's in my shop. So I sold one the buy the 08 SE5 for my wife. I figured she would enjoy riding her own and she had no interest in 2 wheels. I have fun on it also. So now I have a riding partner. So far she is loving it and she is getting better everyday.
    David
    David

Spyder Garage

I have owned over 30 motorcycles since 1965. Everything from 90cc to Vulcan 2000 cc.
    The last Vulcan 2000 was way to heavy for me to lift off the kickstand and hold up safely when at a stop sign. Running down the road--it was light as a feather though.

When I saw an article in a cycle magazine about the new spyder in about November 2007, I said I got to have one of these. I put a deposit down in December 2007 and had my first Spyder in June of 2008. I got the 2nd one to hit Alaska. I have had a total of 3 's now. 2008, 2009, and 2010 RTS--the first year for that model.

I like the three wheels, and all the comforts that the RTS offers. I did go back and buy a carryover 2009 Vulcan 900 LT last year though. With an aftermarket custom seat--that bike fits me like a glove and I can still ride 2 wheels when I get the urge. I put 5000 on the Vulcan and 8000 on the RTS this season. March-Oct.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Lamont told me I had to....

I had never taken his advise before but for some reason.... I decided to this one time. Glad I did!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Reason

Back when I was much younger, I had too many innear ear infections, and it destroyed my equillibrium. I can't even balance on a 10 speed bike. When we got the HD Tri-Glide in 2009, I really did enjoy riding with my husband. As time moved on, however, I began to want something more. I wanted to be in the driver's seat. After talking with a friend who has a 2008 RS, I decided to visit the Can-Am dealer who fortunately is close by to my house. What can I say??? I sat on the RT-A, and when hubby saw the expression on my face, and the rest is history! It was indeed love at first sight! The SE-5 semi automatic transmission was a bonus!

Spyder Garage

5' tall rode 2 wheels for years, Honda, Yamahas, Harleys and had kind of lost the enthusiasm. Always had to worry about gravel, how and where I parked to ensure I could get out and get the bike back up off the sidestand, my husband was my reverse by pushing me. Had a serious wreck in 2006 but still rode again and then the Spyders came out and my husband talked me into just trying one. I had tested trikes and wasn't ready for 3 wheels, had seen Lamonte at Bike Week on this funny looking thing and quite a while later finally rode one in the dead of winter and that was it. I thought it was fun and different and now I am having a ball riding again.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My wife saw one in a show called CSI Miami. She talked me into going to look at one at the dealer in Henderson, Nevada. I did tell her we were looking and not buying just yet. We walked into the showroom, she touched the handlebars, got stuck and couldnt unstick till the sold sign was put on. She made me buy her the SM5. Then when we got it home she wouldnt let me ride it. So I found a used SE5 with 400 miles on it and bought me one. She says it is a chick bike because Of the auto. I say I dont have to remember to downshift. One more thing my old mind doesnt have to worry about. We have Honda 1300s also so when the need arises, we go that way.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Why a spyder

Doesn't fall over at the light!!! Has REVERSE!!! tried a trike liked to put the thing in the ditch as I didn't have enough muscle to get it around a corner. Too close!!! Spyder a LOT safer!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had to give up two wheels at age 27 and the reasons bad ankle, both knees and a problem in my left ear effecting my balance. Walking is a problem and I should be using a cane but am to young for one of those, even though I have several.

I couldn't get into a sidecar and just gave up the thought of ever ryding again. Than 32 years later while checking out trikes a friend told me about the Spyder and I had been checking those out online for about 6 months.

One Saturday afternoon, I went to Pets Mart to get some dog food and knew the dealer was around the corner. With my history, I just can't go and look but decided I would take a chance and went to look only. The next thing I knew, I had done it again and signed the papers. I have no regrets in what happened that day in March 2009 and its the best move I made and now have to find time to get out on the boat, which I also love.

I made a few more trips to Pets Mart and even sat on a 2010 RT. The sales lady knew I was an easy sell but got off the RT and back on to my 2008 GS/RS. I like many have been through a lot with the GS/RS and now that its running great, I have no intention in giving it up and still enjoy it as much as I did the first time I first rode it. Its my main ryde now, even though I have a truck and living here I can ryde year round and I do, except when the weather is nasty. When its in the 90s with humidity in the 80s and it rains, it feels great.

Last year I was coming out of Winn-Dixie and next to my Spyder was a Royal Enfield with a sidecar. Looking at it closely I thought how cool is this? Funny how 34 years ago, I couldn't get into them and now I would love to have one. But, I'm happy with the Spyder and the hardest part of any night is hitting the kill switch and putting it away for the night.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default it was an easy decision

honestly, after jumping out of planes for almost 30 yrs, crawling in jungles all over the world, and playing in the worlds biggest sandbox, my knees, hips and back were in bad shape. I have rode for 50 yrs on 2 wheels. Didn't want to give up riding....bought it, and have never looked back. Retired now and I am loving it. Miss my guys, but this is the best thing to happen to me.

Spyder Garage

Default Why SpYder

It was the wife's decision. End of story!!

Spyder Garage

Default why i buy a spyder

well my reason for buy'n a spyder, is ole father time finally catch me, & after a ride'n 2-wheeler's for fifty-five + yrs, a artifical hip, & 3 artificial disc's in my back walla- a spyder !!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I first saw the Spyders close up in a NY dealer's showroom while having my BRP boat fixed there. Love at first sight, just had to have one. Went home, did some research on it and bought a new RS-S a couple of weeks later. Probably the most impulsive thing I've ever done and I have absolutely no regrets.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Just curious - whydid you buy a Spyder.

I had my Harley but was looking for a larger model than the Sportster. My wife also rides and we were considering what we should buy for her. She did not want a Harley. We were driving South from the Harley dealer and passed the Can-Am Spyder dealer. My wife 'mentioned' that she would like to look at the Spyder. We immediately turned around and drove into the dealership. Two hours later we owned a Spyder. Why? We are both in our 70's and she has two bad hips. She was afraid she would drop a two wheeler and the Spyder was tne answer to that problem. The Spyder was alright for her but I am a two wheel bike rider, or was! Two weeks after purchasing the Spyder I decided to sell my Harley and we would share the Spyder. It is working out great. When we go together she drives half the time and I drive the other half. I have grown to enjoy the Spyder and probably will not go back to a two wheeler.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why Spyder?

I broke my back 12/17/1987. Took three years to get back on my feet and when the doctors released me back into the wild they told me no more bikes (I was injured on the job but rode a friend's 550 super sport back in the day). I've also had numerous tumors removed from my head which caused balance issues. So I figured I was done with 2 wheels and made my peace with it. Or did I?!?

So June of 2010 I was waiting for an F1 race to start and I saw the add for the Spyder and I screamed THAT'S IT!! My ticket back into the wind. So we went and looked at Spyders, fell in love with and bought the white RSS. Then Kathy got "bit" and wanted her own Spyder and I got supremely lucky that 14 was there at the dealer waiting for me so I bought 14! And I thought I was done. Or was I?!?

After a year with 14 I couldn't get the notion of 2 wheels out of my soul. I just wanted better performance and I wanted to lean! Not a knock on the Spyder, just me being... me! So I got myself into shape, ignored the doctors, sold my truck to my Nephew and picked up the FA. I'm a free-range kind of guy now and I would not have it any other way. The Spyder changed my life in a way I never saw coming.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I saw one in the parking lot of Cabela's earlier this year. It was the first one I saw standing still. I just had to have one. Went home looked on craiglist found a 2008 GS/RS with 1200 miles on it and bought it two days later. No regrets. Now thinking about keeping the RS and buying an RT for a more comfortable two up riding with the wife.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    My wife could never get the feel for two wheels by herself. She rode her Trail 90 around, but wanted nothing more, and anything touring size was way too much for her. Scooters didn't do it, even the Burgmann. When she saw the Spyder, she knew it was the answer. Bought before either of us even rode one. Haven't regreted it in the least.

I swipe it every chance I get. I have been riding two wheels for 50 years, and have 22 of the two wheeled variety right now. I still love every minute on the Spyder, and may even get myself one someday. My BMW is great, but it is heavy. My vintage bikes aren't reliable enough for any distance. The overwhelming feeling of security on the Spyder, especially under adverse conditions, is incredible, and its comfort is hard to beat. The trick is not to think of it the same as your bikes. It is an entity unto itself. Shift your weight in the corners, and ride it like you stole it! You won't regret it in the least.
    -Scotty
    I guess I need to update this. Obviously, I have my own now. I swiped Nancy's GS so much that when the RT was introduced, she suggested that I get one. With a new knee and another serious medical issue requiring hospitalization, I found myself riding Nancy's Spyder a lot. I had always wanted a BMW LT, but they are just too huge for my liking, and the medical issues made me downright fearful of owning one. When we talked about the new RT, we realized that we missed riding two-up sometimes...something we hadn't done since Nancy got her Spyder. I pre-ordered my first RTS sight unseen, before any were even available for a test ride. My 2011 is as ideal as any vehicle I have. My BMW and my vintage bikes gather dust, while I ride my RTS everywhere. It is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I just got tired of not being able to ride most of the winter.
    Not very romantic i know,

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I began riding in the mid 60's. Started out on a Yamahamer 250. Graduated on up to road bikes. Rode for many years until about the mid 90's when I more or less gave up riding. Every couple of years I'd go lease a Harley touring bike and ride. In about 2006 I was in the mountains of North Carolina with my wife, Cindy, and just didn't feel comfortable with her on the back. Probably because I wasn't riding on a regular basis. Bottom line is that I told her that we would probably never be riding the mountains again.

2009 I saw a spyder, pointed at it and said to my wife. "That's the ticket". Went to the dealer in November 2009 and they had JUST gotten a demo RT-S. That's all it took.

Chris
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 11-04-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONI View Post
    I'm wondering what motivated Spyder owners to buy their Spyder?
    Because they would not give it to me, and if I stole it I would go to jail .
    After my accident on my two wheeler in Nov 06 that had me in hospital for 5 days; wife put her foot down, and said no more motorcycle. This lasted for three years until I saw, and sold her on the safety of the Spyder for her to say okay. Now she even rydes with me, and said someday she might want one when Orbit is paid off.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

After riding as passenger on my V-Star wife decided she wanted a ride of her own. Enrolled in Rider Safety Course, dropped bike twice during riding part, second time badly bruising her ankle and knee but still wanting her own ride. We opted for three wheels, bought her a beautiful Suzuki Boulevard w/Lehman trike kit. She was scared to ride it, wouldn't get over 35 MPH, finally got got the "Suzi" sold. Along came a Spyder, same price as we sold the "Suzi" for. Two weeks later we were headed of to Pigeon Forge and Tail of the Dragon. She's lovin' her Yellow RS

Spyder Garage

I got my Spyder because I had a bad right knee and after 4 years of worsening knee pain, it got to the point that I could not ride more than 40 miles without stopping on my Vulcan 800 or when I did stop, I couldnt get my leg down fast enough or have my knee/leg be strong enough to hold up my bike. I got sick (and embarassed) of laying my bike down at gas stations when we were on long rides and having to have hubby come and help me pick it up.

I had seen the Spyder at Americade and thought I would turn to it one day, and that day came, and yes, so did finally seeking medical attention and subsequent knee surgery for my meniscus. Its been almost 8 weeks since surgery and my knee is better for the most part, I have some pain and need to rebuild my leg muscles, but today I went out for a ride with Randy, Holly and my hubby and it was wonderful! If I was still on 2 wheels, I wouldnt have gone out today, I would have let this season go and waited for spring. Dusty as she was, she handled well and gave me freedom!

I know, I know, 4 years of knee pain... and I'm a nurse. lol
    I should have had my knee taken care of sooner, but hey, my "bad" knee got me interested in Syders and I am loving it!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mosslips View Post
    I know, I know, 4 years of knee pain... and I'm a nurse. lol
    I should have had my knee taken care of sooner, but hey, my "bad" knee got me interested in Spyders and I am loving it!
    Glad to hear your surgery went well and you are back on the Spyder again. If it makes you feel better, I went some 20 years on my right knee before the needed meniscus surgery, and I went 15 after my left one reached the bone-on-bone stage, before a partial replacement. If you think your knee feels better now, wait until a year after surgery....you won't believe how great it can be. This is the first time in 50 years that I have been able to walk and sleep without knee pain.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Glad to hear your surgery went well and you are back on the Spyder again. If it makes you feel better, I went some 20 years on my right knee before the needed meniscus surgery, and I went 15 after my left one reached the bone-on-bone stage, before a partial replacement. If you think your knee feels better now, wait until a year after surgery....you won't believe how great it can be. This is the first time in 50 years that I have been able to walk and sleep without knee pain.
    20 + years!!! I thought 4 was bad! Then you had the other one go bad too? I am not fond of aging...
    I look forward to a completely uninterupted nights sleep. I cant imagine not being woken up at night to have to move because my knee hurts!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default It was a COOLMACHINE

Hi Toni,
    I bought my Spyder at the time because it was the coolest gosh-darn machine out there. Still is IMO. (O​:

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

As I guess most of you have figured out by now (lol), I'm not going to be on two wheels. When Bruiser and I discussed getting a bike last year, I said I would be fine with him getting two wheels, but I wouldn't ride on it. We checked out the Spyder and both loved it! We have had a lot of fun riding together, and as so many of you have said, talked to a lot of people when they come up to you and ask about it. We'll continue to ryde together on the Spyder, and also ryde separately........me on the Spyder and him on the Kaw Vulcan.