Spyder Garage

Default My First Cold Ride!!

Upper 40's this morning, but upper 60's this afternoon!! I decided to get in a trip to work at least one more time before it gets to cold and rainy here. I put on my ski pants and ski gloves and made it to work just fine!! I managed not to get too cold. My hands were a bit chilled and my face from the nose up. I had my neck gator on too--covers the chin!! Won't be able to do that much longer!! I have asthma, so the cold temps get me.....

I am going to give it a go at least once when there is a couple of inches of snow on the ground though!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vampyregirl View Post
    ...I am going to give it a go at least once when there is a couple of inches of snow on the ground though!!!
    First - congrats on riding in the cold. With the right gear it's amazing how low the temps can get while you stay comfortable, especially with electric clothing.

Just a word of caution. Although the Spyder is stable in the sense that it's hard to tip over, the various traction control devices can conspire to make driving on slick surfaces tough or impossible. Also keep in mind that you're vulnerable on a Spyder and cars don't have very good control - especially in the first snow of the season. Just a caution to be careful.
    Dan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been riding for about a month or so now in 40-60 degree temps. The days get nice by the afternoons, but those 45 degree dawns are chilllllly!

Anyway, my secret is simple: heated gear. Yay Gerbing!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I am going to give it a go at least once when there is a couple of inches of snow on the ground though!!!
    I think you'll find that 1/2 inch of snow is about the limit, on level ground, And like said before it's the other guy
    in the 4 thousand pound SUV that you have no control over that you have to worry about.
    I ride all winter but when it snows i wait till after the plows go by then i ride.

Spyder Garage

Default Gerbing

Not to jump the thread but a friend of ours was using her gerbing this last weekend and her side started feeling too warm. Turned out the control had malfunctioned and her jacket was actually starting to burn. Gave her a little thrill but all is ok. Gerbing is sending her all new......hooray to a good vendor.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just a thought, and don't have a ton of experience ( first year ). But would a full face helmet help you in the cold weather? I use one, and even tonight coming home, low 50's the inside of the helmet was pretty warm ( seals well ) ... like I said...just a thought

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Riker View Post
    Just a thought, and don't have a ton of experience ( first year ). But would a full face helmet help you in the cold weather? I use one, and even tonight coming home, low 50's the inside of the helmet was pretty warm ( seals well ) ... like I said...just a thought
    Yep, The full face will definitely keep you warmer than a half or 3/4 helmet. But they do tend to fog up a little in very cold weather so you have crack open the shield every now and then.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Yep, The full face will definitely keep you warmer than a half or 3/4 helmet. But they do tend to fog up a little in very cold weather so you have crack open the shield every now and then.
    Full face only fogs when you breathe!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There's an old expression "There is no such thing as bad weather only bad equipment!"

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I tried not breathing , but my Sons asked me to stop that, I guess they found out that I'm worth more alive than dead.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Full face definitely helps, but as mentioned, they can fog. Either diligent application of anti-fog or (if your helmet accepts it) a Pinlock visor solves that problem for most cold weather riding. If it gets REALLY cold-- sub-zero-- if you're still insane enough to be on the road, you'll probably do better with a heated visor (snowmobile helmets have them, and some manufacturers-- HJC comes to mind-- have ones you can add to their motorcycle helmets).

Adding a chin skirt, a neck sock, or a balaclava also helps (I find the neck socks more comfortable-- all my helmets are too snug to accomodate balaclavas as comfortably as I like).

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default check out the Buff's

This year I have added a Bajaron full suit and a couple different weight BUFF multifunctional headgear. Really like the Buff's...wear them many different ways....today will be coolest (temp that is) ryde this fall (27 out right now...be heading out in a couple hrs)...so will have my Michelin man suit and polortec buff on...if to warm on head/neck will switch to thinner Buff...check Buff's out...cool patterns/colors and work realllllly well. I wear the thinner (cool max) material under my full face helmet...only thing that gives insulation without compressing my head!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Gear makes the difference. I have ridden in 10 degrees above zero here--but its not for the faint of heart. I have first gear with full liners (jacket, pants). Wear good winter grade gloves, have a face and neck protector inside my full face helmet. The heated hand grips are not bad either.

I do not recommend riding on snow--the does not seem to like it. A couple years ago, I backed my 2008 out of the garage onto about 3 inches of snow and we ended up having to push it back in the garage. The back wheel just spun and would not get any traction.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Gear makes the difference. I have ridden in 10 degrees above zero here--but its not for the faint of heart. I have first gear with full liners (jacket, pants). Wear good winter grade gloves, have a face and neck protector inside my full face helmet. The heated hand grips are not bad either.

I do not recommend riding on snow--the does not seem to like it. A couple years ago, I backed my 2008 out of the garage onto about 3 inches of snow and we ended up having to push it back in the garage. The back wheel just spun and would not get any traction.
    To be fair, the Spyder doesn't like losing traction, period. It's just that we're all spoiled by having three wheels versus two so when the rear wheel inevitably slips all we do is slide instead of fall over and go ouch. I've learned through experience that if I'm approaching gravel or sand in the road to either swerve out of the way or take it with the front tires-- if my rear tire hits the gravel, the Spyder can slip n' slide like a snowboard. Sometimes that's "wheeee!" brand fun; at 60 mph+ racing down a narrow back road, not so much

Spyder Garage

Hey everyone!

Upper 40's this morning, but upper 60's this afternoon!! I decided to get in a trip to work at least one more time before it gets to cold and rainy here. I put on my ski pants and ski gloves and made it to work just fine!! I managed not to get too cold. My hands were a bit chilled and my face from the nose up. I had my neck gator on too--covers the chin!! Won't be able to do that much longer!! I have asthma, so the cold temps get me.....

Thanks for sharing - very cool (pun intended ).

I ryde my RS Spyder SM5 year-round here in Newfoundland. It is indeed challenging, but can be very rewarding!

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Anyway, my secret is simple: heated gear. Yay Gerbing!
    Heated gear is a key element of ryding in cold weather. I use heated grips every winter and wouldn't be able to go very far without 'em!

... it's the other guy
    in the 4 thousand pound SUV that you have no control over that you have to worry about.
    I ride all winter but when it snows i wait till after the plows go by then i ride.
    You're right on both accounts, IMHO. I ryde through the winter, but not when there is loads of snow around. I think that is asking for trouble, so I ride when the snow has been cleared. Battling for traction is not a fight I think I can win, but battling the cold is, for me. Yep - have to be very dilligent on doing head-checks and watching the other guy, totally right about that.

Yep - opening it a crack, at red lights (after head-checks and knowing there is nothing around coming at you) is something I do also. I don't tend to fog up when I'm moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandgrouchy View Post
    There's an old expression "There is no such thing as bad weather only bad equipment!"

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Gear makes the difference.
    !!

Cheers and stay safe out there!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And with a little practice you'll be able to hold your breath long-enough to empty the tank and have to stop for fuel anyway!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I do wear a full face helmet!!! Year round!!! It only got a little foggy once yesterday!!

Yeah, I was thinking up and down my street (a dead end street even!!!) in the snow. Just for ****es and giggles!!

I would love to get actual official cold weather gear, but due to the economy, and the scary job situation I'm in, I won't part with the money right now......

It's pouring here now. It's supposed to be that way through Friday here, I believe. Then upper 40's and lower 50's for highs.... Booooooooooo!!!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default cold

the last two weeks I've been riding 25 miles to work in 20 to 25 degrees, I wear my full face ski-doo helmet, a leather ski-doo coat,carhart gloves and rain pants over jeans and t-shirt, (hand warmers are great)dont know if Im riding in the morning or not, it's sposed to be 5 degrees at 5 am.

Spyder Garage

Update: we had our first snow this morning. Drove the SUV to work in the slushy stuff--but it had all melted by afternoon. The mountains are getting full of snow at 2000 ft. and above. I live at 680 ft above sea level so still am okay. Last year, got parked for the winter on Oct. 30th--the first good snow. It would be nice to ride one more time this weekend, if the weather cooperates.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm still riding my scooter and Butch is will most likely ride the all winter again. I ride until the warm-up time gets longer than my ride to work! the Vespa doesn't like temps lower than 35. Butch hasn't switched to his total winter gear yet, but when he does he uses a BRP heated full face helmet, aerostich heated vest and snow bibs. He said the vest was his best purchase!
    --Paula
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12