Thread: Belt question

Spyder Garage

Default Belt question

3 weeks ago my front sprocket went. The belt pulled hard into engine/trans. It wore about 1/8th inch off belt. I had it towed to dealer. They had no idea what it could be. They never saw this before. Anyway. It was the splines and BEST covered it. They replaced the sprocket and belt. Now my question is, does the belt need adjusting/tensioning after so many miles? Thanks

John

Full Moon 08' SM5, Luggage rack, back rest, Kewlmetal mirror extensions, trunk spring, hidden trunk release cable, ride-on, remote garage openers, header wrap, Lamonster's air box catch can, CHAD, NMN double play w/ LED running/signals, heated gloves (gerbing), dzus fasteners, led fender tip lights, spyderpops missing air dam, tric rings, tric fender strips, spyderpops heat shield and missing air damn, Nexx X1R1 helmet.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

BRP calls for belt adjustment at the 600 mile interval, and at each 6K interval. I check it, at least with the twist test, at every oil change. IMO, most shaft failures are caused by the front sprocket becoming loose. Excessive belt tension makes the problems much worse. There were two service bulletins that addressed the Spyder belt drive. Failing to carry out either one could have been the root of your problem. One greatly reduced the belt tension over the initial specification. If your belt was not retensioned, the wear would have been accelerated. The second bulletin called for retorquing the sprocket bolt at the 600 mile interval. The bolt should be loosened, retorqued, then marked with an "X" to show it was done. The loose sprocket wears the shaft, increasing play. High belt tension makes this worse. More play wears the sprocket and shaft further, and so on, until there is a disastrous failure. This is an area few owners pay close enough attention to if they do their own maintenance.