Spyder Garage

Default Proposed Trip - Help Me Decide Where To Go, Visit, Stay

Okay, assuming I get the Spyder out of the shop in time, and I find a good dog sitter for a blind, diabetic dog, me and the wife are heading out for a 7-10 day trip from Buford, GA to New York, NY. Here is the proposed route: Google Map
    Of course, this is mostly Interstate and I will most likely avoid interstate as much as possible. Anyway, we are planning on just setting out and going until we feel like stopping, checking out that area during the day, maybe getting back on the road a little when the sun is starting to go down, find a place to stay (no camping, the wife needs civilization), and starting over the next day. Gonna drive until we have to turn around and come back. Not sure if we will make it all the way to NY or not. May stop by Philly on the way up or back. I have never really travelled and never up the east coast that far. I'm open to any suggestions!! Btw, we are starting the trip on Friday Sept 2nd.
    Last edited by Hawk; 08-22-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I highly recommend the following options if you haven't been there yet...

Asheville, NC - Biltmore Estate.
    Blue ridge parkway...

Or... This route...

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=ra...t&vpsrc=6&z=10

That route would allow you to circle over to NY and then back down the eastern seaboard. I took this very route southbound a few weeks ago. If you are looking for hundreds of miles of sweepers, and twisties as well scenery, I highly recommend it.

Otherwise, I would still make it a point to visit the DC area and see the monuments, the new air and space museum... Visit Gettysburg, Maybe run the flat lands of the east bay in Maryland(actually kinda nice).

So much to see.

So... Let me ask... What is more important to you. Seeing major historical sites or taking in the road, the scenery and the nooks and crannies? All are fun, but I think answering that will narrow the type of responses you get to just the genre of stuff you like to see.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I'll second the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. It parallels your planned route, anyway. Even on a holiday weekend, it is not hectic, but it is slow going, with a 45 mph limit on the BRP, and 35 on Skyline. Great curves, great raods, and minimal traffic with lots of scenic overview. Along the way ride up Mt. Mitchell and climb to the summit. We also visited Jefferson's Monticello, which was pretty neat. Other nearby attractions include several tourist railroads, and several Civil War sites. The holiday weekend will make your trip tougher, but it will be a great as long as you have no fixed timetable and avoid the Interstates. Set the Google Maps options to "avoid highways" if you want a route off the slab, but it won't route you along the Parkway without lots of coaxing.

Spyder Garage

Hawk, with the others regarding the BRP and Skyline Drive. They're well worth the extra time it will add to your trip! If you take that route northbound, you might want to do a return trip that hugs the coastline going thru NJ, Cape May/Lewis Ferry into Delaware, Delmarva Peninsula, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, and along the VA/NC/SC coasts. A trip like this would give you the most diverse terrain you could find on this side of the country. From Delaware you could still do a side trip to DC if you'd like; only two hours from the ferry in Lewes. Taking the north and southbound trip this way would allow you to avoid the coast during the holiday weekend, which I highly recommend!
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

Default Via Con Dios

I would strongly state NYC is not a fun place to drive during the week but if you must, get a Toll Pass and some Xanax. I grew up there and only go back because my kids & Grand kids r there. Ride safe, see u at te Willow.

Bruce

Spyder Garage

I have already been to DC so no need to go there. Good idea on going through Ashville. I think we are up for anything as far as sights.

Spyder Garage

Well, Irene threw a monkey wrench. I am now thinking of going up to Niagra Falls (Now I am regretting not getting my passport together yet, so no Canada), Then maybe driving back west around Lake Eerie to Cleveland or Toledo, then down through Ohio and Kentucky, down to Knoxville (we have some friends there) and back to Buford, GA. I have never been any of those states, so any suggestions on sights? I am thinking in Kentucky to visit the distillaries. Suggestions?

New proposed route
    NEW ROUTE
    Last edited by Hawk; 08-31-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I are leaving tomorrow morning for Buffalo NY, should be there by Friday afternoon staying till Sunday (for a wedding ) then two days in Cleveland for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Spyder Garage

Hawk, if you're going to Niagara, and have the time, go up to Alexandria Bay, NY, and check out the Thousand Islands, great scenery, boat tours, Google Boldt's Castle to get an idea.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good idea not to go with the NC coast. Lots of damage and NC 12 is closed due to damage in several areas. Upstate NY has major damage as well. We have friends in Windom NY and they are telling everyone they know not to come near there. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. By the way, Asheville, Maggie Valley area .

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I have heard that the Makers Mark tour in Loretto KY is pretty good.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ky trip

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    I have heard that the Makers Mark tour in Loretto KY is pretty good.
    Makers Mark is great, Jim Beam is around there also. The Lexington Horse Park is a nice day event. Believe it or not Lousville has some of the best live theater west of New York. When I lived there I learned that the founders of Humana (my employer at the time), put their money where there mouth was and gave big bucks to the fine arts of the city.

Spyder Garage

I'll drink to that!
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can get a brochure on the KY Bourbon Trail. The ride to different distilleries is nice. Buffalo Trace distillery (not actually part of the Bourbon Trail) in Frankfort is very interesting; Maker's Mark you can dip your own bottle of bourbon in wax. The Frankfort Capitol is a beautiful building, with tour taking about an hour. Vietnam Veteran's Memorial is quite unique--a giant sundial with veterans' names listed by date of death, and shadow falls on their name on anniversary of their death. We spent 4 days in KY and had a fabulous time. There's even a covered bridge close to Frankfort in Switzer. Have a great trip.

Spyder Garage

As a Maker's Mark Ambassador, I feel that I am obligated to go take a tour. Now if they would email me and let me know that my batch from my barrel is ready during this, it would be right on time!!!! I think I may be overshooting my goals. We only have 8 days to take it all in. Hopefully we make it, if not, I will have to cut it short and take the Interstate back home the last day or so. I envy you guys with weeks of weeks of vacation and/or retired!!!!