Spyder Garage

Default Cheap mod for drink holder

Everyone likes to Mod their rydes, and I am no different, however, I could not see spending20 to 60 dollars on a drink holder that I deemed a necessary addition to my Spyder. So here I am walking aroung walmart picking up a few things for my girl( industrial strength velcro to fix the trunk liner, loctite superglue to fix the weather stripping in the trunk ) and generally feeling a little down cuz a smart guy like myself can't figure out a cheaper way to put a drink holder on my bike, when it hits me, I had drink holders on my bicycles when I was a kid, so I head to the sporting goods section and find the bicycle accessories and what do you know, a drink holder that will not only go where I want it to go, it fits " my budget". Six dollars later and I have a functional drink holder that I can use and still afford that bottle of water to go in it.

bottle holder.jpg

The Zip ties in the pic are overkill, I just wanted to make sure it would not slide up or down on me as I am too lazy to move the resevoir to get the little rubber piece on the clamp.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like it.....thanks for the idea.

Spyder Garage

Default No Problem

Thanks ... I like to use my mind creatively to overcome a problem like this .... plus with 2 sons in college and a daughter in high school .... every penny counts.

Spyder Garage

Or you could spend $9.76 including free shipping and get this one at Amazon! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NGD56G
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stutzmason View Post
    Thanks ... I like to use my mind creatively to overcome a problem like this .... plus with 2 sons in college and a daughter in high school .... every penny counts.
    I can almost feel your pain. I am retiring from the USAF in a few weeks and have 3 kids myself. Gotta find a job so they can continue to be spoiled brats!!

I do like the cupholder spyder-dude mentioned at amazon. It appears to be well made.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-dude View Post
    Or you could spend $9.76 including free shipping and get this one at Amazon! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NGD56G
    I have one of those... not 100% happy with it, when you have a drink in it (like a Gatorade bottle), mine doesn't like to stay on the bar without loosening a bit and rotating.

Alas, since I've put on risers, I don't have enough space on the bars any longer, so I have to figure out a different solution now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii808 View Post
    I can almost feel your pain. I am retiring from the USAF in a few weeks and have 3 kids myself. Gotta find a job so they can continue to be spoiled brats!!

I do like the cupholder spyder-dude mentioned at amazon. It appears to be well made.

I agree, it looks really well made and very versatile too. Might have to go that route when I look for a way to mount my iphone cheaply .... that way I can have my TomTom there for directions and to monitor calls and texts to see if anyone is trying to get ahold of me while I am out. (Disclaimer: I will always pull over and stop when I take a call or text when ryding, don't need to add to the bad statistics out there)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-dude View Post
    Don't think this one would fit on the RT hangs too low and would hit the tupper ware on turns. And the clamp won't go arouond the handle bars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    I have one of those... not 100% happy with it, when you have a drink in it (like a Gatorade bottle), mine doesn't like to stay on the bar without loosening a bit and rotating.

Alas, since I've put on risers, I don't have enough space on the bars any longer, so I have to figure out a different solution now.
    Check the bicycle section at your local walmart ... several different choices all for about 6 bucks .... mine does not slide up or down ... however I did put white zip ties over the top and bottom just for extra protection from that slippage .... I didn't want to have to react to my drink slipping while ryding .... be sure to get one that will fit your water bottle or drink container requirements as well ... I usually carry only a 20ounce soda bottle or water bottle so for me this was like gold baby ... it will hold a medium size cup as well .... if you want to carry a canned soda you would have to wrap it with something as the can will fall through the bars.... btw .... the clamp is only about a 1/2 inch wide so there is plenty of room .... and no wobbling either

bottle holder.jpg
    Last edited by stutzmason; 08-15-2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: more info

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stutzmason View Post
    Everyone likes to Mod their rydes, and I am no different, however, I could not see spending20 to 60 dollars on a drink holder that I deemed a necessary addition to my Spyder. So here I am walking aroung walmart picking up a few things for my girl( industrial strength velcro to fix the trunk liner, loctite superglue to fix the weather stripping in the trunk ) and generally feeling a little down cuz a smart guy like myself can't figure out a cheaper way to put a drink holder on my bike, when it hits me, I had drink holders on my bicycles when I was a kid, so I head to the sporting goods section and find the bicycle accessories and what do you know, a drink holder that will not only go where I want it to go, it fits " my budget". Six dollars later and I have a functional drink holder that I can use and still afford that bottle of water to go in it.

bottle holder.jpg

The Zip ties in the pic are overkill, I just wanted to make sure it would not slide up or down on me as I am too lazy to move the resevoir to get the little rubber piece on the clamp.
    Oh Man! I love it! Jealous for not thinking this up on my own, but love it-And it works great!
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Spyder Garage

Did the same thing in 2009 on my cross country trip on the RS. Picked it up at a bike shop near Sturgis, still works great.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I have one attached to the roll bar on my Rhino, Great for water bottles,

Spyder Garage

Smile

I have the one from Amazon but got it somewhere else for a lower cost. Google is wonderful! Also put a small strip of soft rubber under the clamp and it will stay put and not roll with the weight of the drink.