Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is the RT stable at highway speeds?

You tell me, I'm passing this semi at 85 mph with one hand and it's a windy day.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure I've had mine up to 85 going around a semi, but it's been close and had the same results.

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Only time I had to do some corrective moves on the steering was when passing trucks with high side winds.
    But my friends Harley sure moved behind me and he was scared ****less, and signaled me to pull over at the next coffee shop.
    He was surprised the Spyder did not really moved around like his Harley

I have noticed a lot of riders sit loosely on the Spyder so the wind pushes them and they grab the handle bars hard, giving it input.
    I have my knees against the "tank".

Spyder Garage

I have not had any handling issues with any of my ,s. Two RS's and the RTS.

I thought the RTS was quirky at first--but once I got comfortable with the changeover--(150 miles or so)--I do not feel there are any handling issues with this vehicle. IMO--overcontrolling causes most issues--but there will be the occasional set up, tire pressure, shock adjustment issues that happen.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

In the 3 years i had my Spyder handling was NEVER a problem. I think a lot of the perceived handling problems are quirk's of a reverse trike.
    [except for the first autopilot DPS]
    It ain't a car guys.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Yes I have found the RT stable at highway speeds, but, I have elka shocks on the 2011 RTS.. and it is very stable as compared to the 2010 with OEM shocks IMO. However, the 2010 was quite good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stuffing the knees into the sides of the tank definitely helps hold things calm and quiet in the left lanes...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Yes I have found the RT stable at highway speeds, but, I have elka shocks on the 2011 RTS.. and it is very stable as compared to the 2010 with OEM shocks IMO. However, the 2010 was quite good.
    I will add that if the suspension is set too soft, especially on the 2010, the difference will be even greater. Also, if the toe-in is not set correctly (or better yet at the newly revised spec), or the steering sensors are not zeroed properly, the Spyder won't be as stable. A Spyder RT that is set up properly will be stable and handle well at speed.

Footnote: It is my understanding that Lamont's Spyder has Elka shocks, so your results may vary. I have done exactly what is shown in the video with my 2011 with stock suspension, though...even with the shocks preloaded at #3, so you can achieve this level of handling performance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I seen Lamont's video and was thinking he's a mad man. I'll just say this, it's a lot easier now that I have installed Elka shocks.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.061718,-87.555861

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did not like the way my 2010 handled wind and semi's at I- 75 speeds. But after installing an Evoluzion sway bar every thing has changed.Bike handle,s so much better in all respects. I am not a hard rider and 90% running two up. I have no plans to spend $$$ for better shocks. In my case better shocks would be a waste of hard earned money.If you are not a speed demon try sway bar first. Front shocks set on 5 and 18lb on front 28 on rear tire as the have been since first day.

Spyder Garage

As it was pointed out I do have the Elka's on my 2010 RT. I've driven the 2011 RT and I would expect the same handling with the upgrades 2011 shock body.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RT with Standard shocks, set to 5.

But have placed an order for the Elkas, after my owner/backseat driver complained in some corners of the leaning.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Handling

I just returned from Sturgis and riding the roads in South Dakota! Handles beautifully. Rode behind 2 whaeelers on the curves and kept up without problems....

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default High speeds

Took the 2011 RT Limited on the interstate today for the first time. Took it up to 75, passed semi's and some passed me. Had no problem with stability. I was very impressed. I did think twice about the interstate before I went on it but knew I had to do it some time or another. I just relaxed and let it rip.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I am a newbe too, at least with a third wheel. I think it is a matter of learning, especially if you are a two wheeler. You are going to have to unlearn some things. My tendency is over control, as I finally figured out yesterday driving through the mountains. Once I let go just a little bit and went with the flow of the machine all was good.

Spyder Garage

Let me think about this... Why would I want to pass a semi at 85- as a matter-of-fact, I'm not sure I can think of a time I would have my scooter at 85. Guess I'm too much of of a grandpa driver.
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    Let me think about this... Why would I want to pass a semi at 85- as a matter-of-fact, I'm not sure I can think of a time I would have my scooter at 85. Guess I'm too much of of a grandpa driver.

at any speed.. to ride behind a semi or on the side of semi in time is asking for problems... What do you think those black rubber things on the side and on the road are? Candy... nope they are tires, pieces, and treds of those semi trailers and you sure don'twon't to be around those when they come off. So get around those semi's as quick as you can.
    Just an ole peeps thought.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow... We must be in the minority....

Kim & I both only have around 14,000 miles on our RT's, So we have sort of gotten our minds wrapped around them comfortably, so to speak. We cruise on the super slab at 80 - 85... consistently. We have had our 2010 RT's, no Elka's, over 100 mph several times when conditions would allow, just for fun. We are both extremely comfortable at 80+ with cruise control set, passing semi's and other road blocks for hours at a time. When we rode two wheel BMW's... over 100k miles... His & hers... we cruised at the same speeds. No problemo or concerns. Comon sense and conditions prevail of course. ie...heavy rain...heavy traffic.. high wind.. etc. Cruising at 70 mph on most of the interstates we have been on means you will be blown off the highway by anything from grandma to 18 wheeled road rangers... If I can get my RT out of the shop anytime soon, we'll be out there doing it again. Is it me... or do most of us out there find the speed limit boring??? ... and I don't mean in a school zone or in the middle of Mosheim Tennessee... I'm talking open road riding.

Happy trails.... It seems we will be seeing many you guys and gals out there in our rear view mirrors.... Len, Kim & Shaba the Spyder Dawg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    Kim & I both only have around 14,000 miles on our RT's, So we have sort of gotten our minds wrapped around them comfortably, so to speak. We cruise on the super slab at 80 - 85... consistently. We have had our 2010 RT's, no Elka's, over 100 mph several times when conditions would allow, just for fun. We are both extremely comfortable at 80+ with cruise control set, passing semi's and other road blocks for hours at a time. When we rode two wheel BMW's... over 100k miles... His & hers... we cruised at the same speeds. No problemo or concerns. Comon sense and conditions prevail of course. ie...heavy rain...heavy traffic.. high wind.. etc. Cruising at 70 mph on most of the interstates we have been on means you will be blown off the highway by anything from grandma to 18 wheeled road rangers... If I can get my RT out of the shop anytime soon, we'll be out there doing it again. Is it me... or do most of us out there find the speed limit boring??? ... and I don't mean in a school zone or in the middle of Mosheim Tennessee... I'm talking open road riding.

Happy trails.... It seems we will be seeing many you guys and gals out there in our rear view mirrors.... Len, Kim & Shaba the Spyder Dawg
    Yeah, and I used to fly with an A-6 driver who maintained that if you couldn't handle a 135 knot over-take joining up on a tanker you had no hair on ....
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Spyder Garage

Default My problem summed up in a few words....

Being a retired aeronautical kind of person.... Four years in Navy flying and 34 1/2 years of airline flying.. I suppose my mind set is way above the posted speed limit from the git-go. Something about feeling the "Need For Speed"... Guilty as charged on this end.. Len

Spyder Garage

With the speedos being way too fast, 80 mph is not much over the speed limit anyway. About all the cars/trucks on I85 in my neck of the woods run that speed. And if you get stuck behind a convoy of 18 wheelers the wind buffeting is pretty bad, so you drop back or pass. Thats my take on it.

Spyder Garage

now she runs stable (RT2010 with 2011 shocks) .. had a problem with unbalanced front wheels and needed new adjusment of the front-bearings .. tested the speed-limit = around 110 mls/hour = OK
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    With the speedos being way too fast, 80 mph is not much over the speed limit anyway. About all the cars/trucks on I85 in my neck of the woods run that speed. And if you get stuck behind a convoy of 18 wheelers the wind buffeting is pretty bad, so you drop back or pass. Thats my take on it.
    My speedo is about 2 mph faster than my GPS. As far as passing big trucks, I've had a tire come apart while I was behind a big rig and I pass these guys anytime I get the chance. It's not fun dodging chunks of rubber coming at you at highway speeds.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lamont, that is a neat video. When I am going west out of Kerrville, TX and the speed limit on IH10W changes to 80, and I am running 80, I have a hard time getting out of the 18 wheelers way...and then there are the rednecks...I just stay in the right lane.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Anything over 65 and my RT starts wandering and swaying. Took it to the shop for 600 mile check and they took it on the interstate and confirmed what I told them. Their response was thats just how the spyders are, you will get used to it. My shocks are at 5 and front PSI 18 and rear 28. someone suggested outting some weights in front trunk. I love my spyder but the interstate still freaks me out.