Spyder Garage

Default SM5 2010 RT Won't shift

This is a new one on me. I did a thread search and found one reference to a similar problem back in 2009. Here's my problem. When attempting to shift from 1st to 2nd gear, the transmission will not shift into 2nd.... nearly all the time. If I put the trans. in neutral and try and up shift to 2nd it will not shift at all and you can hear the gears lightly clashing.

The interesting part, Kim & I just finished a 4,973 mile, two month Spyder trip that included Lamonster's BBQ, Maggie Valley and a bazillion other places. Both our machines ran and preformed flawlessly. We get home, rested up for a few days and decided to take a short ride down to the Everglades... My Spyder wouldn't shift into 2nd gear 50 feet out of my driveway... Go figure!!! Anyone ever heard of this problem with the SM5 tranny. BTW.... my Spyder is at my dealer as we speak... I'll let you know what they find out...

My Spyder mileage.... 13,700 .......... Happy trails.... Len

Spyder Garage

Default Update...

I was told today by my dealer service department that major Spyder surgery is required on my machine to fix the shifting problem. The engine will have to be pulled out and the transmission gone into.. OMG... That will be the 3rd time my clutch/transmission is being opened up.. Len

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default same problem, found easy fix

I had a similar problem, sometimes the first to second shift would "miss". found the shift lever would touch the casting that the foot pegs mount to when you would upshift (only first to second though). Took a dremel to the casting and made a little relief for the shifter, you can also rotate the splines on the shifter but if you have Kewl Metal highway bar mounts the toe space is already limited. Maybe you have the same issue. Haven't missed a shift since doing this. Good Luck!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've heard that the shift lever will bend (?). Don't know that for sure. Third time in the tranny, I'd have to ask for a new one. Under warranty????