Thread: Handheld CB ???

Spyder Garage

Question Handheld CB ???

Anyone use one of these handheld units for your passanger (the boss) to communicate with your riding friends using there $1500 cb's. Don't know much about cb's as you can tell. but would like to learn and don't have the $1500 to keep up with the Joneses. http://www.wearecb.com/store/midland...ter-p-789.html Looked at the Amazon rating reviews on this unit and they are all over the place from "JUNK" to "GREAT".
    Last edited by redfox; 08-06-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: more stuff

Visionary Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    Anyone use one of these handheld units for your passanger (the boss) to communicate with your riding friends using there $1500 cb's. Don't know much about cb's as you can tell. but would like to learn and don't have the $1500 to keep up with the Joneses. http://www.wearecb.com/store/midland...ter-p-789.html Looked at the Amazon rating reviews on this unit and they are all over the place from "JUNK" to "GREAT".
    Bought this exact unit, so the wife and I could talk from our vehicle and her Spyder...The CB itself is a good unit for what it is...For the BEST function it really depends on which antenna you get to go with it...CB works well and clarity of voice was real good!! It got some good reviews from CB magazines so that's why I bought it...

Just remember it's the antenna that will make or break the CB from actually being good or not...

Spyder Garage

One of my riding friends has the same radio.
    You can get a headset/PTT button for it that makes it a semi permanent set up so that you can talk to the other riders directly, in the event you should be riding single.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Visionary Member
    Spyder Garage

After re-reading your post...Are you talking about using this as an INTERCOM on the SAME BIKE????

If so, I wouldn't recommend that as there are a several wires (power and external antenna) flopping around and not a SAFE set up for a passenger...There are better choices for just an intercom for same bike communications...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joe schmoe View Post
    After re-reading your post...Are you talking about using this as an INTERCOM on the SAME BIKE????

If so, I wouldn't recommend that as there are a several wires (power and external antenna) flopping around and not a SAFE set up for a passenger...There are better choices for just an intercom for same bike communications...
    No just want wife (primarily) or self to be able to talk to other very near-by bikes on our group rides. Don't care about intercom.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joe schmoe View Post
    Bought this exact unit, so the wife and I could talk from our vehicle and her Spyder...The CB itself is a good unit for what it is...For the BEST function it really depends on which antenna you get to go with it...CB works well and clarity of voice was real good!! It got some good reviews from CB magazines so that's why I bought it...

Just remember it's the antenna that will make or break the CB from actually being good or not...
    Curious how it would work with the little antenna it comes with for talking to bikes within a few hundred feet. We ride in small groups of 2, 3 or 4 very close to each other and the other 3 bikes have the $1k can am set ups. If that's totally out do you have a rec for another antenna that worked for you.

Spyder Garage

I've got a handheld Radio Shack CB with the short antenna and used it to communicate very effectively with a friend who had a $1,000 system on his BMW. We tried it up to about a half mile with no problem and very clear reception.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    I've got a handheld Radio Shack CB with the short antenna and used it to communicate very effectively with a friend who had a $1,000 system on his BMW. We tried it up to about a half mile with no problem and very clear reception.
    Now that's great to hear. Just what I was hoping for. My backseat navigator may just become the cb radioman too.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Intercom plus CB radio

http://imcmoto.com/intercom-kits.html

The MIT100H is for the Half helmet and the other is for the full helmet.

Both will use a Midland Hand held model 75-822 CB radio or you can use a FRS radio

But the big par is you can do it all for under $300.

J&M also makes a Single user CB setup for the same price.

Spyder Garage

Default Cobra Handheld

I have a Cobra Handheld with head set and PTT that I have used on my Harley for years. It works quite well; however, I cannot find a way to mount in on the Spyder RT. Any suggestions?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Mounting CB

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredCGRider View Post
    I checked out the site. Mounting looks like what I had on the HD. How would you fit it on the larger Spyder handlebars.