Spyder Garage

Default New to the world of Spyder

This is my first post on this forum and very new to the world of Spyder. I personally ride a 2002 Goldwing that I'm very happy with but I've begun doing some research on Spyder on behalf of my best friend who is now ready to get a bike. He is committed to three wheels because he suffers from vertigo. Vertigo and two wheels would not be a good match.

My buddy Jim is looking into buying a Spyder rather than a trike and I definitely agree he will have more fun with a Spyder.

I did have the opportunity to test ride a RT at Cowtown Powersports in Ft. Worth this past weekend. Got to ride for nearly an hour and liked it a lot. The one thing thing that did seem to bother me was the "squirrelly" feel of the one back wheel. Is that a suspension issue or something to get used to?? Everything else was a kick in the pants and really fun to ride.

From my limited intel at this point I am thinking my buddy should get an RT-S SE5 with the semi-automatic transmission (hopefully I'm saying this right).

I'm asking help in what I/we need to be aware of to make sure he makes the right choice in this or anything else in the RT line??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi,

I have had both the RS SE5 and now a 2011 RT SE5. For this old gimp it is the best of all possible worlds. I love the creature comforts of the RT. The RS was sportier and quiker, but can't compare in plain ol' comfort.

Ride in comfort,

John
    sealfloorboards.com

Spyder Garage

Not sure what you mean by the feel of the back tire. If you mean it feels funky steering, that just takes a couple hundred miles to get used to, then its like second nature.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Almost everybody feels that the Spyder is "squirrelly at first. It is usually a product of the combination of being used to a motorcycle, and of trying too hard. The Spyder steering is very sensitive, and it responds instantly to those little "adjustments" to the wind and road that you are used to making subconsciously on a motorcycle. Holding the grips too tightly enhances this effect, and the Spyder ends up all over the road. Worry not...most riders get used to it in a couple hundred miles, and it tames right down. The Spyder is very stable in reality.

Spyder Garage

Back in the day (I'm 72 now) there were a few bikes I trusted to ride with no hands on the bars. I wouldn't dream of that today except perhaps for my RT.

My wife and I (she also has an RT) were touring around northern Georgia and the wind was gusty about 15-18 mph. At no time did the bikes feel squirrely or that we were not in control. In fact, I did set the cruise on one long stretch, then sipped my drink and scratched an itchy spot simultaneously.

The Spyder just kept on keepin' on.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Scotty has it covered about the "squirrely" feel. That was my initial complaint the day I drove mine home.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

As a novice with a new 2011 RTS SE5 with just over 1000 miles, I'm liking it better every ride. I agree that most everyone feels the "squirrely" feel during the demo ride or after buying it. I was skeptical, but I agree, after awhile, I don't notice it much because I'm holding the handlebars with less tension. I think the bike like mine is the way for him to go.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with Scotty about 'squirrely' effect. As a new owner (from 1 July this year), this is no longer a problem.

I would definitely encourage your friend to buy a . I have suffered from vertigo for 4 years and never thought I'd feel the freedom of ryding a motorbyke again.... then I found the !!! It's ideal and I couldn't be happier. In fact, I'm 64 and my wife thinks it's taken years off us being able to ryde at speed and feel the elements around us once again. There's nothing quite like it!!

I love my RT Ltd.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leslee View Post
    As a novice with a new 2011 RTS SE5 with just over 1000 miles, I'm liking it better every ride. I agree that most everyone feels the "squirrely" feel during the demo ride or after buying it. I was skeptical, but I agree, after awhile, I don't notice it much because I'm holding the handlebars with less tension. I think the bike like mine is the way for him to go.
    160 miles in on my new RT, so my offering up any experience is a bit limited. But, I found that the demo RT that I rode on felt more nervous than the actual bike I bought (which seems pretty rock-solid to me). Having read through the forum here, I suspect that the tire pressures on the demo bike were probably not quite right, as the RT seems very sensitive to that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Forgot to say previously but I need to use a walking stick because of my vertigo balance problems. Before I bought my , I discussed the need to be able to carry a walking stick on the bike with my dealership. We agreed an ideal place for it alongside the saddle and the dealer had velcro tabs professionally attached to the saddle before I collected it. (An upholsterer unstitched part of the saddle to attach the velcro tabs and restitched it again, so looks like part of the .) I'm well pleased with the bike and the dealer.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=dandan;352134]The one thing thing that did seem to bother me was the "squirrelly" feel of the one back wheel. Is that a suspension issue or something to get used to?? Everything else was a kick in the pants and really fun to ride.

QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you describing the sensation when you are in some way turning and go over say a sewer cover, or some kind of slightly raised object with the REAR wheel and it seems to jump a bit. I've experienced that sensation and I guess it just goes with the territory of going over something like that.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dan!
    Welcome aboard! Now go get your buddy and tell him to jump on it because the water's fine...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

PE-1294
    Spyder Garage

Hello Dan welcome aboard.

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Talking Here's a little more than you asked for

I've never ridden a two wheeler, so my perspective is what it is. Bought a 2010 RT-S SE5 & had it 11 months & almost 14000 miles. Used it as my daily driver, year round.

As many stated here, that squirly feeling was even worse in the 2010 RT's than the now up-graded front shocks on the 2011's. Tire pressure is also very sensitive along with your grip. IMHO, It seems BRP designed the SpYder to be perfect on it's own, without a Ryder. The more input you have, the more you fight yourself.

Think the best advice I ever read here about this was: Imagine you have a baby chick in the palm of your hand, you don't want it to get away, but you also don't want to crush it. Once I got that thru my head, the SpYder has been a different machine altogether

We now have a 2011 RT-S SE5 SpYderFest Limited EdDition 1of5 in Viper Red from Len at Cowtown in Cuba MO& in a little over 14 weeks we have almost 10,000 miles on the OD THIS IS THE MOST ADDICTIVE & FUN MACHINE I'VE EVER OWNED!

The up-keep & maintenance on the SpYders are not cheap so keep this in mind for your friend. Some dealerships offer Service Plans at an up-front, often well discounted price that if your friend isn't mechanically inclined to do his own oil-changes & service, may also be worth looking into. I also highly suggest looking into getting the BEST Extended Warrantee. Its still a new product & we're all going thru the growing pains of being early adopters.

With all that said, THIS FORUM IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET ANY AND ALL IMFORMATION ABOUT THE SPYDER THAT YOU COULD ASK FOR Lamont, the Adminstrator of SpyderLovers.com is one of the BEST Ambassadors BRP could have EVER asked for IMHO. He is genuine in his passion for the SpYder & in also in bettering himself in his knowledge of the SpYder, & he doesn't even work for BRP. I've personally met him (camped out at his place after SpyderFest even) & many of the other SpyderLovers Forum members, & it's much more than just a website. We are all an extended family doing whatever we can to help another forum member outI've personally never experienced anything like this before & can say I'm truly amazed how one machine can bring so many different people from all different cultures & walks of life together

It's more than a machine, it's a passion. I hope your friend makes the right decision for himself & that we get to welcome him into the family soon

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RTS SE5 and love it . The air ride suspension is very comfortable and the seating position is comfortable for me too . My wife is comfortable in the co-pilot seat . The SE5 shifts buttery smooth as long as you don't let off the gas to shift .

Spyder Garage

..........SE5 (semi-automatic) is the way to go........one less thing to think about and as all said, gentle on the steering!

Spyder Garage

Went from a BMW K1200LT to a RT-SE. Got tired of holding up the Beemer. Have had the Spyder for about 2 months and have almost 8,000 miles on it. Just rode from San Fran to here in Newport Bch. And head Ed to San Diego today then on to Colorado and home on Fri. Your friend will love it and just like the folks above said he will get use to it in a flash. Tell him to go for it.. He will never regret it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The tire pressures are important for a "positive" ride. You seldom know what pressures the demo Spyders have. Once I brought mine home and started experimenting with the pressures, I found my "sweet spot".

I started with 25 pounds in front and 30 in the rear. I rode for a few miles, dropped the pressure in front to 22, rode again, went to 20 and loved it. I keep 20 in front and 28 in the rear....it works for me. I ride solo so it will be different for different folks. I set my shocks on #4. I like a firmer ride.

In fact, I took a 1.5 hour spin in the hill country this morning and BR1 was solid...like on a rail.

Spyder Garage

[quote=MouthPiece;352348]
    Quote Originally Posted by dandan View Post
    The one thing thing that did seem to bother me was the "squirrelly" feel of the one back wheel. Is that a suspension issue or something to get used to?? Everything else was a kick in the pants and really fun to ride.

QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you describing the sensation when you are in some way turning and go over say a sewer cover, or some kind of slightly raised object with the REAR wheel and it seems to jump a bit. I've experienced that sensation and I guess it just goes with the territory of going over something like that.

Chris
    Chris,

The sensation I spoke of is the feeling the rear tire is sliding from side to side. Mind you it's a slight side to side movement but after riding my Wing 140 miles to the dealership and jumping on the Spyder it was very apparent to me.

Since he has no frame of reference, my buddy may not even notice it.

I can definitely tell when it's time for me to switch from 2 wheels to 3, a Spyder will definitely be in my garage.

I did speak with someone at Cowtown and they said my buddy/I would be able to do most of the maintenance work ourselves. True?? I do almost all maintenance type items on my Wing myself for cost savings and knowing it was done the way it should be done (not that any dealership might cut a corner or two).

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess I can only say that sometimes when making a turn or cornering, I may ride over a small pot hole or a slightly raised sewer cover, and it is then that I experience a very slight slide on the back tire. I attribut this to simply a different surface and not anything wrong with my spyder. I wouldn't describe it as a side to side slide as you have described. Hope this helps.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    With all that said, THIS FORUM IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET ANY AND ALL IMFORMATION ABOUT THE SPYDER THAT YOU COULD ASK FOR Lamont, the Adminstrator of SpyderLovers.com is one of the BEST Ambassadors BRP could have EVER asked for IMHO. He is genuine in his passion for the SpYder & in also in bettering himself in his knowledge of the SpYder, & he doesn't even work for BRP. I've personally met him (camped out at his place after SpyderFest even) & many of the other SpyderLovers Forum members, & it's much more than just a website. We are all an extended family doing whatever we can to help another forum member outI've personally never experienced anything like this before & can say I'm truly amazed how one machine can bring so many different people from all different cultures & walks of life together

It's more than a machine, it's a passion. I hope your friend makes the right decision for himself & that we get to welcome him into the family soon
    Yes, I know Lamonster is an ambassador for the forum. He also monitors the gl1800riders.com forum where I participate in and I've learned much about my bike from there. All of the mods I have done to my bike are a direct result of reading that forum, most of which I would never had attempted on my own without the knowledge gained there.

Thanks for the welcome from many of you. I look forward to learning a lot more about this machine they call Spyder.

I am really excited that my buddy will be able to experience the thrill of riding. It's so hard to describe to someone that's never experienced what motorcycle riding is all about. We've been best friends for over 30 years so I know it will be a great new chapter in my riding life.

Spyder Garage

Hey Dan!!!
    Great meeting you in Austin Saturday!!!
    As you know... we're all here to help.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Another first time poster here. My wife and I just completed a trip to BC a couple of weeks ago and we met a lot of bikers. We have had 3 two wheelers before. We saw our first Spyder last week and had our first rides ( as passengers ) on Saturday. After paying off a few things we will be purchasing a Spyder RT next spring/summer.

I have noticed that some people spell the word RIDE as RYDE. Is that this forums culture? I do not want to step on any toes here, so please forgive any errors on my part.

I do not post much on any other forums but I will try to take an active part on this one when we get our RT.

Spyder Garage

Welcome Lorne!!
    Ride or Ryde.... Doesn't matter. Lots of do it as a culture thing paying homage to our Spyders. Many of us feel that they are so different, it deserves a different spelling

---
    - Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk