Spyder Garage

Default transmission choice? opinions?

Just starting the thought process of moving from 2 wheels to 3. As to the 2 tansmissions, would appreciate folks opinions pro or con. Also, as to the manual, is the clutch cable or hydraulic, can't find that anywhere? Current ride is BMW with great clutch feel - in the past had some real hand issues with Harley clutches.
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Clutch is hydraulic with vacuum assistance, therefore quite light. I avoided the SE5 for reliability reasons. Do some reading on this forum and you'll get a good idea youself of possible issues.
    Last edited by Freddy; 06-25-2011 at 04:31 PM.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Had a 2008 SE5 for 23 months, put 43,000 miles on it without any Transmission issues. When we traded for the 2010 RT, I went to the manual. The automatic is a great transmission (my experience), but I like the manual just as well. In the end, it really comes down to personal choice.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It's a personal choice. I had the SM on my RS, and I have the SE on my RT. Didn't know if I'd like the SE transmission - my prior bike was a K12LT, but I bought my RT "lightly used", and it came with….. It shifts faster than the SM, works better in heavy traffic, and I have had no problems whatsoever with it.

Now that I've had both, I'd always opt for the SE on any new Spyder.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I agree that transmission selection is a very personal choice. If you can, test ride both, then decide. The clutch is hydraulic with vacuum assist, as was said earlier.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Have a 2011 RT SE5 and love it, great in traffic, shifts fast. Only have 2K on and have had no issues. But as earlier indicated. To each his own.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

When I was looking to buy my Spyder I never thought I would want the SE5, but I knew I wanted a yellow one. The only yellow one available at the time was an SE5, and I almost passed on it but the salesman told me I needed to take it for a test ryde before I passed judgement on it. I am glad he did so as I now have a bit over 20,000 miles on it and have absolutely loved it. There is no way I would ever go to an SM after all of my experiences with the SE.

As with anything, your mileage may vary but this has really worked out well for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have an RT-S manual and love it but have never rode an electric shift. I have rode for years and like to shift. For me it is part of the experience.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I purchased an SE with the hope that my wife would spend some seat time on it. She had not ridden on the street before and I felt the auto would be an easier learning curve. Unfortunately, business and school have held her back from getting into any riding so I do get the majority of time on it. I only test rode the SM so was curious about how the SE would shift. If driven properly the tranny is very smooth and I doubt I could outshift it manually. I have had some issues with it, but not enough to say I wouldn't buy it again based solely on reliability.

Having said all that, I would buy a manual if I was to do it again for a few reasons; one major, two minor. Firstly, when I had my bike suddenly go into limp mode at highway speed it would have been safer and easier for me to pull in the clutch to remove the motor from the equation and coast to the side of the road. As I was slowing the auto shift was changing gears and I didn't like that added into the mix. I prefer to be TOTALLY in control of the gearshifting during any difficult situation. I also like to use the clutch when I am making a quick stop so I can focus on braking and direction alone.

Secondly, you can't leave the bike parked and in gear, you need to rely on the parking brake alone. Don't know why but that always makes me nervous.

Third, when I go from one of my other bikes to the Spyder I miss shifting. Makes it feel more like a true bike I guess.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

My personal choice was manual shift. However, in hindsight, I probably should have gotten the electric because my wife would have been able to ride it. She has foot issues and cant with the manual. It was selfish on my part. I just wasn't thinking.

Chris PE# 0004

Spyder Garage

I had more of a 'purist' opinion when buying my Spyder - so I went with the SM5 -- not to mention the SE5 was like 6 months longer wait than my already long 10-month wait for my PE Spyder.

I was skeptical due to previous bad rep that some 'auto' shift atv's had....

That being said -- the SE platform has proven to be quite reliable and pretty darn cool. My next Spyder very well may be an SE....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Love my SE5

Spyder Garage

My Boss Hoss was a auto so I've had the pleasure of not having to use a clutch.

I have the SM on my RS/GS and the SE on my RT and hands down I would go with the SE. First thing is it shifts faster than you can by hand and I love not having to work the clutch when stuck in stop and go traffic.

Spyder Garage

with Lamont..........SE makes life easier