Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand gesture.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hand gesture.

I know it sounds kind of corny, but anyone ever think of a hand gesture specifically for Spyder owners to greet each other. I was thinking something like the way spider-man shoots his web out. Or does it look like a gang sign?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always give three fingers. You can guess why.
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Every motorcycle I pass gets the 3 finger wave.

arntufun

Spyders get the three finger wave, and Harleys get the one finger wave !!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    LOL!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You know what though? Harleys are usually the friendly ones that I meet and more willing to ask about the spyder. The sport bikes are a little more snobby.

Spyder Garage

Kind of mean thinking I'd say.Harley riders are the first to assist if needed unless one has an agenda like "1 finger wave" attitude. I only hope my acceptance and help by "Spyders" is the same as when I rode my HOG. Anyway thats my story and I'm keeping to it!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

the 3 finger wave ... its what i've done for years , hard to break good habits

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by illuzion View Post
    I know it sounds kind of corny, but anyone ever think of a hand gesture specifically for Spyder owners to greet each other. I was thinking something like the way spider-man shoots his web out. Or does it look like a gang sign?
    Heck first time I saw another RT on the road, I waived (hand up) and smiled ear-to-ear. I'm pretty sure they saw it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

And be careful. Wiggling all fingers and thumb at same time is an encrypted one-finger salute.

Spyder Garage

Or it's also known as "A Bouquet" of one fingers.. Right Yol Bolsun?

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post
    Or it's also known as "A Bouquet" of one fingers.. Right Yol Bolsun?

SilverFox
    Hadn't heard that one.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I guess the 3 finger hand gesture would be cool.

Spyder Garage

Default wave...

How about the "Hallmark, or one pinkie finger wave"... For those who don't care enough to send their very best.

Spyder Garage

When I wave I don't give it much thought. My thought is busy scanning for any traffic trouble.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

When you see "Spyder Five":

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How about?

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by 3pod View Post

Kind of mean thinking I'd say.Harley riders are the first to assist if needed unless one has an agenda like "1 finger wave" attitude. I only hope my acceptance and help by "Spyders" is the same as when I rode my HOG. Anyway thats my story and I'm keeping to it!!!

Lighten up, it's a joke !!! If I needed help I would want them to stop, only if they showered within a week though !!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You know what though? Harleys are usually the friendly ones that I meet and more willing to ask about the spyder. The sport bikes are a little more snobby.
    I got my spyder yesterday, and when I stoped at a local mom and pop store, the HD guys were friendly amd askin Q's.. The sporty's comment was " nice almost bike"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When riding in the hill country of Texas (where I live), everyone hand signals. If they don't, I think it's because some of the curves are hard at the higher speeds - they are concentrating on the ride.

I watched a sports bike take one of the curves a bit too fast, and wiped the concrete barrier. Great case of road rash on his left arm. He did walk away, so that's a good thing.

RT-S PE#0391
    Spyder Garage

Default Just blend with other motorcyclists

... I was just thinking when I first saw the Illuzion's Spiderman example, that the gesture is a modified 'devils horns' thing like the Hollywood set (remember Richard Dawson from Family Feud) used to do in the 70s. ... And indeed, some might have just as much trouble ryding and putting their fingers in that configuration in time to pass a wave, just as Trekkies fumble with the Vulcan 'Live Long and Prosper' gesture.

IMHO, we Spyder folks should just blend in with the customs and courtesies of other open-road riders. I love my Spyder and ride quite a bit ... but I never sense I represent a "culture" of Spyder people; I do feel that I represent motorcyclists (having nothing to do with the debate on whether or not a Spyder is a motorcycle) ... in that we're all out in the open, accepting the risks and owe each other mutual respect in 'living to ride.' The hand gesture should reflect that. When motorcycles pass from opposing directions, the universal greeting is your left thumb, index finger and middle finger, palm forward and/or down, extended and below the handle bars.

I'd noted the comment about sport bikers being more 'snobby' than Harley riders. It's interesting what happens when people form into groups, aye? I ryde my Spyder with all types of other bikes. I belong to three groups, including Blue Knights and my Veterans group ... and I have my Maxi-Scoot stuff. I'm welcome and respected; as they are with me. But then again, I was at SITS last September: While I had a great time, was I the only one who noted that we were even 'snobby' amongst ourselves? I mean ... "this restaurant is where the SpyderTalk People hang out ... and that restaurant is where the Spyderlovers folks are," and there was a little bit o' clickiness ... just enough to notice and go hmm.

Bottom line is that no matter what someone rydes or with whom they're affiliated, they are a motorcyclist and will get a respectful, recognizable gesture from me, as we pass on the road, never really strangers; and bonded by a mutual experience.
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 06-11-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    ... I was just thinking when I first saw the Illuzion's Spiderman example, that the gesture is a modified 'devils horns' thing like the Hollywood set (remember Richard Dawson from Family Feud) used to do in the 70s. ... And indeed, some might have just as much trouble ryding and putting their fingers in that configuration in time to pass a wave, just as Trekkies fumble with the Vulcan 'Live Long and Prosper' gesture.

IMHO, we Spyder folks should just blend in with the customs and courtesies of other open-road riders. I love my Spyder and ride quite a bit ... but I never sense I represent a "culture" of Spyder people; I do feel that I represent motorcyclists (having nothing to do with the debate on whether or not a Spyder is a motorcycle) ... in that we're all out in the open, accepting the risks and owe each other mutual respect in 'living to ride.' The hand gesture should reflect that. When motorcycles pass from opposing directions, the universal greeting is your left thumb, index finger and middle finger, palm forward and/or down, extended and below the handle bars.

I'd noted the comment about sport bikers being more 'snobby' than Harley riders. It's interesting what happens when people form into groups, aye? I ryde my Spyder with all types of other bikes. I belong to three groups, including Blue Knights and my Veterans group ... and I have my Maxi-Scoot stuff. I'm welcome and respected; as they are with me. But then again, I was at SITS last September: While I had a great time, was I the only one who noted that we were even 'snobby' amongst ourselves? I mean ... "this restaurant is where the SpyderTalk People hang out ... and that restaurant is where the Spyderlovers folks are," and there was a little bit o' clickiness ... just enough to notice and go hmm.

Bottom line is that no matter what someone rydes or with whom they're affiliated, they are a motorcyclist and will get a respectful, recognizable gesture from me, as we pass on the road, never really strangers; and bonded by a mutual experience.
    I guess my intentions were to let other Spyder owners know you are a Spyder owner as well. I saw someone on their RT the other day while I was in my car and I was thinking if I showed them some kind of hand gesture, they would also know I have one too.

I always wave back whenever I see someone give a thumbs up, etc. But it would be cool if we had our own hand gesture. We are rock stars!

RT-S PE#0391
    Spyder Garage

Default Cool

I guess my intentions were to let other Spyder owners know you are a Spyder owner as well. I saw someone on their RT the other day while I was in my car and I was thinking if I showed them some kind of hand gesture, they would also know I have one too.

I always wave back whenever I see someone give a thumbs up, etc. But it would be cool if we had our own hand gesture. We are rock stars!
    Oh yeah ... if that's the context I'm all for it. Problem is, on the occasions I've not been on my Spyder and I see one go past, I'm usually too busy pointing it out to the person(s) I'm with exclaiming, "Hey look! There's an RT like mine! ... or "There's an RS version of what I have!" I'll try to remember though ... hmm ... lessee ... the middle fingers go ... innn and the thumb goes out ... and the pinky goes ouuttt (ooops one of my middle fingers moved *drat!*) and ... and ... *sigh*

Restless Member
    Spyder Garage

ALWAYS!! Give them 3 thats what you ride!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lighten up, it's a joke !!! If I needed help I would want them to stop, only if they showered within a week though !!!
    You're just having too much fun with this...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black