Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Bore Kits

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    +1 too.

It is interesting how the same folks that cry when someone throws a verbal rock at a Spyder, don't hesitate for a second to berate the HD logo. I rode a panhead drag bike 155 mph, forty years ago. No matter how you cut it, that commands respect. I have also raced bikes that twisted 14K, some 45 years back. That was amazing, too. Brand loyalty is fine, but calling someone else's ride lousy just because it is different than yours, is not a nice thing to do. Even a steam engine can have a place in the sun. Try a little tolerance, folks!
    I'll go with that, Scotty. My Nephew got a Nightster when he came home from Iraq and it's one the coolest looking machines I've seen. He's done some nice mods etc. and now that I'm certified he's gonna let me ride it! I can't wait. It may not be the fastest, may not turn as well as some, but so what? I figure that's why there are so many different kinds of machines out there. There is something for everyone. When I go up to Alice's I spend 99% of my time just admiring everyone's machines. I respect them all.

Spyder Garage

+1 too.

It is interesting how the same folks that cry when someone throws a verbal rock at a Spyder, don't hesitate for a second to berate the HD logo.
    Understand what you're saying -- but this is a Spyder forum afterall...

I mean-- can you imagine if one of us Spyder owners went on an HD forum -- with a pic of our Spyder for our Avatar and bragged up the Spyder? It would be a full-force-foul-mouthed attack!

We got a taste of that reading that Volusia site the other day.....

----------------

The V-rod engine is pretty neat technology and now that they've been on the road awhile-- they have many with well over 100,000 miles that have had nothing done but oil changes. Pretty reliable-- of course one would expect that from German engineering.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I had no idea that we were growing Spyder fan-boys.

With 20/20 hindsight, I guess that's to be expected.

Interesting phenomenon, but nonetheless disappointing.
    From Wikipedia:

"Fanboy" :

A fan, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person with a liking and enthusiasm for something, such as a band or a sports team. Fans of a particular thing or person constitute its fanbase or fandom. They may show their enthusiasm by being a member of a fan club, holding fan conventions, creating fanzines, writing fan mail, or by promoting the object of their interest and attention.

God forbid someone who's a member of a SpyderLOVERS site actually be a fan-boy of the Spyder.......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    From Wikipedia:

"Fanboy" :

A fan, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person with a liking and enthusiasm for something, such as a band or a sports team. Fans of a particular thing or person constitute its fanbase or fandom. They may show their enthusiasm by being a member of a fan club, holding fan conventions, creating fanzines, writing fan mail, or by promoting the object of their interest and attention.

God forbid someone who's a member of a SpyderLOVERS site actually be a fan-boy of the Spyder.......
    A fan is different from a fanboy. Further down in the Wikipedia entry:

"Fanboy is a term used to describe a male who is highly devoted and biased in opinion towards a single subject or hobby within a given field."

"Fanboys are often experts on minor details regarding their hobbies, such as continuity in fictional universes, and they take these details extremely seriously. The term has also been applied to criticize perceived fan elitism. The term itself is often used in a derogatory manner by less serious fans of the same material."

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

+1 too.

It is interesting how the same folks that cry when someone throws a verbal rock at a Spyder, don't hesitate for a second to berate the HD logo. I rode a panhead drag bike 155 mph, forty years ago. No matter how you cut it, that commands respect. I have also raced bikes that twisted 14K, some 45 years back. That was amazing, too. Brand loyalty is fine, but calling someone else's ride lousy just because it is different than yours, is not a nice thing to do. Even a steam engine can have a place in the sun. Try a little tolerance, folks!
    +1 more

Harleys and Spyders make their power in different ways but, hey, the diversity is one of the things that makes motorcycling so much fun. We all have our opinions, our likes and dislikes, and discussing them is fun and informative. But downgrading someone else's ride just isn't necessary.

Cotton

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

A good debate is one where everyone comes out a little upset.

It does seem however that everytime we begin to discuss performance technology someone tries to turn into a trip down memory lane instead of the topic at hand
    Occasionally when someone pushes back they all get bent outta shape.
    Perhaps it's the demographic

When I lived in York,pa I drove a 2 stroke rz250 and the HD guys gave me and endless amount of crap but hey it just rolled right off

Well welcome to Spyderland
    I don't talk about sports cars here there are other forums for that

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    Back to the topic at hand. I'd love to hear from those few who have done this type of engine work to their Spyder. It seems like a less expensive and more reliable way to go with an engine mod for more power.
    Orange, there is a member who goes by "2333" that did the whole hog core upgrade. He seems pretty darned happy with it. He had just picked her up and was still in the shakedown process so we are anxiously awaiting the next update from him. But from what I could gather the difference was pretty dramatic. So now that the tuning aspect of the job has been solved it is now a viable option.

Spyder Garage

For those of you old enough to remember, for some reason I have the tune from Lambchop in my head. You know the one that goes "this is the song that never ends"
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Nobody should take it too seriously the only difference between a HD, a Spyder and a vacuum cleaner are the positions of the dirtbag

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Our opinions on propulsion may differ but we all wanna go fast and that puts us in the same club

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by altonk View Post
    Our opinions on propulsion may differ but we all wanna go fast and that puts us in the same club
    +1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MizMuffet View Post
    My husband had one on his Streetglide along with a compression kit. Performance was significantly more but mpg went down the tank. He said he wouldn't do it again.
    Wow just the opposite with my Harley Street Glide on my 4,00 mile 7 state ride I averaged 47 to 50 mpg.question did you husband have the bike dynoe"d and a proper map done to the engine after the mods. Correct mapping is essential.my bike had 105 hp. and 107 tq.Of course along with the big block kit I also had cams air cleaner true duels and a larger throttle body installed.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Interesting read, that basically says old school, 2 valve, rpm limited, pushrod engines can still be as efficient and effective as their modern 20,000 rpm F1 counterparts.......
    Yep it's all about mass air flow and getting the energy out of the fuel and there are many efficient ways to do it

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

With the old drivetrain you trade lower rpm to keep them moving slower for a larger displacement so you can move more air
    The modern materials help a lot too

Spyder Garage

add should read "Big Bore Kit Aprilia RSV Mille/Tuono/Falco/Futura/Capo Nord/ SPYDER 1103ccm"

http://kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog.htm?...l&artikel=1870
    03ccm

Spyder Garage

I wonder if we could combine the 1103 bore kit with the 1200 stroker for a total of around 1303 cc .

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I own a motorcycle shop that works on pretty much nothing but harleys, I have four full time master certified harley techs doing the wrenching. They have done service, tire changes etc on my spyder and absolutely love taking turns riding it. I ride with pretty much all harley's and the funny thing is those guys will spend 10k building "performance" motors (which is good for business) but at the end of the day if you want to go fast go buy a $10k hayabusa and be done with it.

I can have mutual respect for all forms of motorcycles for what they are.

I will say after racing countless screaming eagle street-glides, road-glides, big bore softails, etc I have yet to find one that was able to beat my spyder stop light to stop light back when it only had a hindle. The only harley to ever "smoke" me was my friends v-rod muscle, since I put a turbo on the spyder those tables were turned and I can put a couple bike lengths on him by 100mph.

But as I said before, if you want to go fast save yourself the time and money and go by a 7-10k sport bike that runs 9s-10s bone stock. Speed is relative and the spyder will never be what I consider "fast", even with 250hp it will never have the traction needed to be seriously fast.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WrapFactory View Post
    I own a motorcycle shop that works on pretty much nothing but harleys, I have four full time master certified harley techs doing the wrenching. They have done service, tire changes etc on my spyder and absolutely love taking turns riding it. I ride with pretty much all harley's and the funny thing is those guys will spend 10k building "performance" motors (which is good for business) but at the end of the day if you want to go fast go buy a $10k hayabusa and be done with it.

I will say after racing countless screaming eagle street-glides, road-glides, big bore softails, etc I have yet to find one that was able to beat my spyder stop light to stop light back when it only had a hindle. The only harley to ever "smoke" me was my friends v-rod muscle, since I put a turbo on the spyder those tables were turned and I can put a couple bike lengths on him by 100mph.

But as I said before, if you want to go fast save yourself the time and money and go by a 7-10k sport bike that runs 9s-10s bone stock. Speed is relative and the spyder will never be what I consider "fast", even with 250hp it will never have the traction needed to be seriously fast.
    I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. That is the direction I am headed. Not sure I want to jump right to the Motus or FJR so I am considering puttin in a year on a FZ1. That will teach me to manage big power while still having great agility in a platform that is lighter in weight and easier to handle. Seems like a logical progression to me. I decided it just wasn't worth dumping that kind of money trying to make the Spyder faster...
    Last edited by Raptor; 05-27-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WrapFactory View Post

Boy oh boy does that ever put it into perspective....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, the top speed of this machine isn't my main interest and to take it even farther, you don't need to go spend 9~12k on a Busa or pretty much any other 2 wheel machine either. They're out there, some with turbo already installed 3~7k. Getting tired of your current 2 wheel machine, throw a turbo on it.
    Anyways, to me, the Spyder has a very fun speed and great handling. I've never been much for infinite straight lines, twisties are my passion.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Big Bore Kits

Quote Originally Posted by daddydarko View Post
    Does anyone have experience with Big Bore kits- (not specifically on a Spyder)? Are the performance gains significant?

I had a 1958 sporster and did a big bore kit on it. Heads Pistons,carb, bigger valves Cams.
    Ran like a bear. I fixed it up for the street and strip. Great on the strip BUT on the road it would choke up if the RPMS weren't up. I had to go through some towns in first gear because it would load up. Then grab the clutch and race the motor up just to clear it. Although I would love to have it back today.
    So don't think a big bore kit is the answer for you. You might end up with more problems than you can think of.