Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    I was kind of going along with this "Dimple" thing until I read this....and I quote...."With an O Ring seal that does not ever have to be replaced. Guaranteed not to leak".....

Is there a soul out there anywhere that knows of an "O" ring that "NEVER" has to be replaced??? It's rubber, All "O" rings eventually have to be replaced. Another thing to ponder, I can't answer this but is there a relief machined in the female threaded boss in in the engine and oil tank for the "O" ring to be pressed into... If not you could easily crush a rubber "O" ring if you torque the drain plugs to specs. I think I will stick with the $9.99 X 2...plug with the metal washer....that would be about $20 bucks on my calculator and Lamont has already shown that the magnets are approxmately the same strength. Hmmm $20 vs. $60.... Len
    What you say is generally true, but my old Hondas have O-ring seals for the drain plugs, and they are holding after up to 50 years of oil changes. I have only had to replace a couple. Same goes for the O-ring seal on the tappet covers. The race bike got the oil changed after every race weekend and the valves checked after every single race, so the plug and covers on that one were on and off a lot. Drain plug O-rings hold up very well in the real world...as long as the mating surface is nice and flat. O-rings are cheap to replace if they do not.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

I am sold..
    Now which vendor?
    Sizes needed??

Duh !!

Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    I am sold..
    Now which vendor?
    Sizes needed??

Duh !!

Thanks
    Me too but for the Gold Plugs, the price is right and should do the job just as well.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baja74vw View Post
    Hi,

This is Tim from Gold Plug.

I am not advertising for my company, just setting the record straight.

Gold Plug:

Uses the same style custom high temp high strength magnet. (As shown by Lomanster) We stand by our custom made Gold Plated magnets. This is also true with magnet size vs. drain plug diameter.

Are handmade in Montana, USA. Also uses by the military in Humvee drive hubs (each wheel). Used by the assembly line hydraulic systems that make all of our cars in Japan. Used OEM by a major US manufacturer of aftermarket racing and street performance parts. Used by machining companies in their high dollar equipment. Sold to the public by multiple retail vendors.

Washers are cheap and replacement guarantees no leaks. Not a problem.

Hex head is the best and only way in our opinion.

We only sell magnetic drain plugs. Nothing else.

Shipping is cheap and fast. Ask "dave01" Customers never lie.

Preferred. Well, debatable.....

Has 30 sizes. We have been around for 10 years. Never stopping development, still around, seen every other seller come and go. We will be there tomorrow and beyond.

Please test our product and let us know if we can improve. We have been for 10 years.
    I just placed my order, thanks for your well formed rebuttal, you just saved me $40...Though I do have an affinity for o-rings, I'll get over it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Do these plugs get torqued to OEM specs?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post
    Do these plugs get torqued to OEM specs?
    Apparently so. I have sent for a pair of Dimple plugs so I e-mailed the company and they said to use the same torque as the stock item. Good enough.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Spoke with Tim at Gold Plugs, and had some extra washers added to my order since they are cheap. He upgraded the shipping for a buck to ensure I get them by Friday for my 600 miles service appt on Saturday.

I like these guys more and more...

http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Mot...lugs/MP01.html

Spyder Garage

A testimonial for "O" ring longevity - I have a 1998 Cadillac Catera that has an "O" ring seal for the oil pan drain plug - the oil has been changed many times by me - the "O" ring has never been changed and it has never leaked.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    I was kind of going along with this "Dimple" thing until I read this....and I quote...."With an O Ring seal that does not ever have to be replaced. Guaranteed not to leak".....

Is there a soul out there anywhere that knows of an "O" ring that "NEVER" has to be replaced??? It's rubber, All "O" rings eventually have to be replaced. Another thing to ponder, I can't answer this but is there a relief machined in the female threaded boss in in the engine and oil tank for the "O" ring to be pressed into... If not you could easily crush a rubber "O" ring if you torque the drain plugs to specs. I think I will stick with the $9.99 X 2...plug with the metal washer....that would be about $20 bucks on my calculator and Lamont has already shown that the magnets are approxmately the same strength. Hmmm $20 vs. $60.... Len
    They don't have O-ring seals on them----- just a reusable washer.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

spydee owner

Default stock oil drain plugs

The only problem with these plugs is that people tend to over tighten. You don't over tighten you are good to go.

spydee owner

Default gold plug

Hi,

Gold Plug:

Uses the same style custom high temp high strength magnet. (As shown by Lomanster) We stand by our custom made Gold Plated magnets. This is also true with magnet size vs. drain plug diameter.

Are handmade in Montana, USA. Also uses by the military in Humvee drive hubs (each wheel). Used by the assembly line hydraulic systems that make all of our cars in Japan. Used OEM by a major US manufacturer of aftermarket racing and street performance parts. Used by machining companies in their high dollar equipment. Sold to the public by multiple retail vendors.

Has 30 sizes. We have been around for 10 years. Never stopping development, still around, seen every other seller come and go. We will be there tomorrow and beyond.

Please test our product and let us know if we can improve. We have been for 10 years.
    Certainly sounds like an advertisement to me, not just setting the record straight.

Spyder Garage

Default Dimple drain plug

I tried the Dimple brand drain plugs and did not like them. You need two different size sockets. When inserting the plug from below, the plug slides down into the socket and has to be supported. The o-ring prevents a reliable torque "feel" or reading. The o-ring on one of the plugs was crushed with only one use. Overall, it seemed like a hassle which could be avoided with the stock plugs. I will try the other brand that does not use o-rings.

Invalid Emails
    Mississauga Ontario Canada Alamo Texas jan to may
    Spyder Garage

I have a set and have had them in my 08 Se5 for about a year.They work great and belive me the magnets are very strong.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi,

Gold Plug:

Your web site does not list the Spyder and your Motorcycle Search page does not appear to work. Could you please list here the correct part numbers to order for the Spyder RS and RT?

Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Default What Size Gold Plugs for SE5?

Looked at the site and see the plug nrs. Which two nrs fit the SE?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    Your web site does not list the Spyder and your Motorcycle Search page does not appear to work. Could you please list here the correct part numbers to order for the Spyder RS and RT?

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Looked at the site and see the plug nrs. Which two nrs fit the SE?
    Not going to do all the work for you but it's a simple look up on their site: http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Plu...motorcycle.php

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

For a 2011 RT-S, for the Gold Plug, I believe I would need to order MP-01 (oil tank plug) and MP-02 (crankcase plug). Can anyone confirm that?

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder part numbers

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    For a 2011 RT-S, for the Gold Plug, I believe I would need to order MP-01 (oil tank plug) and MP-02 (crankcase plug). Can anyone confirm that?
    I also had a problem with the links on their web-site so I sent them an email asking for the information. Tim responded almost immediately with the following:
    Rick,

Thanks for your question!

I just tried the search engine and it seems to be working.

All Can-Am Spyders uses our MP-01 in the engine.
    http://www.goldplug.com/Motorcycle_Drain_Plugs/MP01.html

All spyders use our MP-02 in the oil tank.
    http://www.goldplug.com/Motorcycle_Drain_Plugs/MP02.html

If you can spread the word on Spyderlovers, we would appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Tim
    Gold Plug LLC

Spyder Garage

AZ Spider......thanks for the info; thats what I needed to order a set.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    That's what I just ordered. So we're in the same boat.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Good Price

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    I ordered from here:

http://www.goldplug.com/

Got a set here too. $9.99 each. very reasonably priced!