Thread: CAN YOU HELP?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default CAN YOU HELP?

Here's the deal. We have a corbin seat. The drivers is heated. We also have Kewl Metal handlebar risers so we sit upright. The problem is the drivers seat. It causes us to slide forward plus the passenger's is not all that comfy. I could attempt the Lamonster Cut and have it recovered or go with BRP's comfort seat. Does the comfort seat fix this sliding forward problem. Is it more comfortable as the name suggest for both rider & passenger? I don't want to spend the time & money to fix the corbin if spending $430 on the BRP's seat will solve all problems with the one exception of losing the heated portion. What da think?

Spyder Garage

Drivers backrest on the Corbin seat keeps the passenger in place. No sliding issues experienced with the backrest. As mentioned by Firefly below--break in period seems to be about 1000 miles before the seat feels good. I have 12,000 miles on my seat now. Corbin will work with you to get exactly what you want. You should contact them. You will have to send them your seat, since I notice you are not in their area. We have the comfort seat on our RS and the Corbin on the RTS. Never ridden two up on the Comfort seat--so have not experienced sliding issues.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-07-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've been meaning to post about this exact same issue. I've put a few thousand miles on my Corbin seat and it still feels like I'm sliding forward and I can also feel the passenger sliding forward also. I have the dual heated version. Is there a way to put more 'dip' in the seats to help with the sliding forward? I'd really like to keep the seat since I got such a good deal on it. I'd hate to lose the dual heat zone but really tempted to just get rid of it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tneagle View Post
    Here's the deal. We have a corbin seat. The drivers is heated. We also have Kewl Metal handlebar risers so we sit upright. The problem is the drivers seat. It causes us to slide forward plus the passenger's is not all that comfy. I could attempt the Lamonster Cut and have it recovered or go with BRP's comfort seat. Does the comfort seat fix this sliding forward problem. Is it more comfortable as the name suggest for both rider & passenger? I don't want to spend the time & money to fix the corbin if spending $430 on the BRP's seat will solve all problems with the one exception of losing the heated portion. What da think?
    Mine felt like that too-- just took putting miles on it-- they say break-in is 2,000 miles.... mine felt good after 1,000.

As far as the passenger goes-- not sure who you have riding back there-- but I like my passengers sliding up on me------

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

at 250 pounds there is no where to slide on my RT's Corbin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

annie in deland had the same problem with new corbin seat and hated it, but Corbin worked with her (she got the Lamont cut) and made it perfect for her. Now she loves it and no sliding forward. You could search for that thread for help..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have never owned the Corbin, but me and my passenger (my wife) are very satisfied with the BRP Comfort Seat. The way the passenger seat is dished, she doesn't slide unless I brake pretty hard.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Question really relates to driver's seat

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Mine felt like that too-- just took putting miles on it-- they say break-in is 2,000 miles.... mine felt good after 1,000.

As far as the passenger goes-- not sure who you have riding back there-- but I like my passengers sliding up on me------
    I'm TNEagle's wife (dragonheart). The seat has a little over 10,000 miles on it as we rode to LA and back from TN to the Owner's Event in 2009. I am only 100 pounds wet and the previous driver, whereas hubby is around 175 and only now starting to drive it. So I didn't have the issues he is having now. The problem isn't the passenger seat with me sitting there as much as it is an issue when he is in the driver's seat. We would like feedback on whether similar slippage issues have been experienced on those of you that have BRP's comfort seat. If it still occurs with the comfort seat, we might as well have our Corbin reworked - that is what we are really trying to figure out. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I use two things to keep me planted in the seat. As I too had a slippery seat from the material (shinny Alligator) when
    I got my Corbin seat in January.

This has worked very well.

and also my floor boards keep me pushed back in the saddle more securely. I have also noticed that the seat is
    less slippery to me than when I first got it. I have put approx 4k miles on it now. Hope that helps, Maybe if you go to
    Spyderfest you can try out the comfort seat, as I have heard good things about it too.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I used to have a comfort seat and now have the Corbin.
    When I had the comfort seat I felt as tho I was being pushed forward on the comfort seat, until I had my risers installed. I enjoyed the comfort seat MUCH more once I was sitting more upright. I too am heavy so I don't seem to have a problem w/ slipping forward as described w/ the Corbin.
    I enjoy both seats - I feel more stable w/ the Corbin because the smuggler trunk I bought provides some back support, but the comfort seat was more cushy and comfortable.
    Last edited by musicarcade; 04-07-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've not been able to compare the corbin but I have a stock and my hubby has the comfort.

There is no doubt, to me anyway, that the comfort is WAY more level and the stock pitches forward.

Spyder Garage

We had a Corbin on our '08 RS. Had the same problem of sliding forward. Solved the problem with Airhawk cushions. They helped us sit level and made the Corbin seat a lot softer to ride on. Since we have an RT now,we don't need the Airhawks. I still have the Airhawk for the driver. I lent the passenger Airhawk to a lady customer for her and her husbands ride to Sturgis. Haven't seen them since.
    Call me if you would like a deal on a used Airhawk.

Bob
    PowerSports4Less
    913-592-3493

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dragonheart View Post
    I'm TNEagle's wife (dragonheart). The seat has a little over 10,000 miles on it as we rode to LA and back from TN to the Owner's Event in 2009. I am only 100 pounds wet and the previous driver, whereas hubby is around 175 and only now starting to drive it. So I didn't have the issues he is having now. The problem isn't the passenger seat with me sitting there as much as it is an issue when he is in the driver's seat. We would like feedback on whether similar slippage issues have been experienced on those of you that have BRP's comfort seat. If it still occurs with the comfort seat, we might as well have our Corbin reworked - that is what we are really trying to figure out. Thanks!

Ahh-- okay... I think you're going to need it re-worked by Corbin. When you ordered it they took your specs down and made it catered to you -- that might have something to do with this-- but many have had the 'sliding forward' feeling-- including me-- especially when I first tried to use the backrest--- but I've now got 26,000 on the Corbin and love it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    I use two things to keep me planted in the seat. As I too had a slippery seat from the material (shinny Alligator) when
    I got my Corbin seat in January.

This has worked very well.

and also my floor boards keep me pushed back in the saddle more securely. I have also noticed that the seat is
    less slippery to me than when I first got it. I have put approx 4k miles on it now. Hope that helps, Maybe if you go to
    Spyderfest you can try out the comfort seat, as I have heard good things about it too.

Interesting idea-- but what about when you want/need to slide on the seat during extreme maneuvers?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Have a Corbin with about 2K on it now -- when I first put it on I found that I slid all over the place - a bit unnerving at times. I thought for sure I had made a mistake in the purchase of the seat. I had only been on the stock seat before this and found it quite comfortable even on long rydes. However I did like the firmness of the Corbin and decided to give it time. Now that I have a couple of thousand on the seat I find that I will slide forward under heavy emergency braking (I try to avoid this); but as I am aware it happens I can brace for this. I have ESI risers also and I sit more upright now too. Took a 200 mile ryde last weekend and was rally amazed at how comfortable the Corbin has become and how well I stay seated now. I am planning on getting the T-back rest by Corbin in the near future as I feel that something supporting my back will make the ryde even better. I have considered sending the seat back to Corbin and have it reworked for the Lamonster cut but am finding the seat is molding to me and will just be fine. Hope you get things comfortable for your ryding enjoyment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teacherbob View Post
    We had a Corbin on our '08 RS. Had the same problem of sliding forward. Solved the problem with Airhawk cushions. They helped us sit level and made the Corbin seat a lot softer to ride on. Since we have an RT now,we don't need the Airhawks. I still have the Airhawk for the driver. I lent the passenger Airhawk to a lady customer for her and her husbands ride to Sturgis. Haven't seen them since.
    Call me if you would like a deal on a used Airhawk.

Bob
    PowerSports4Less
    913-592-3493
    We have 30,000 + on our Corbin seats. We always had a sliding issue. At first we cut a piece of black rubbermade shelf liner to fit the seat and my wife used a gel pad for extra cusion. Now we use the airhawks all the time and love them. When I got mine I took it from the box and closed the air valve without adding any air, rides great and solved the hot seat problems in summer and no sliding. this is where I bought them. Dennis

http://www.derbycycles.net/productde...gId=1673&fpg=1

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sell the Corbin and buy the Ultimate seat, problem solved

Spyder Garage

Default contact Corbin

My wife and I had the same problem (slipping forward) with our Corbin seats even after putting on 3,000 miles. Sent them back to Corbin to be reworked and now they are great.
    When life throws you a curve - aim for the apex.