Spyder Garage

Default Limp mode/code upon start up

The past 3 times I fired up the Spyder to let her warm up I got a VSS/ oil light and limp mode message. If I shut it down and restart it goes away and is fine. All I can think of is that the oil is really cold and not flowing but that does not make sense to me.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Check your relays to see that they are seated well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEZL600EFI View Post
    The past 3 times I fired up the Spyder to let her warm up I got a VSS/ oil light and limp mode message. If I shut it down and restart it goes away and is fine. All I can think of is that the oil is really cold and not flowing but that does not make sense to me.
    How long do you let it run before you turn it off?
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Under normal operation the oil light on the cluster should go off between 2-5 seconds. Mine goes off usually in 2-3 seconds, even when it has been sitting on the cold winter parking lot at work in -20C.

As Scotty mentioned, it could be a relay, but possible oil temp/pressure sensor, if the oil light stays off for more then 5-6 seconds.

Hope that helps - please let us know more. A trip to the dealer may be needed for BUDS testing/diagnoses.

Spyder Garage

I will check the relays tonight. I normally fire it up and go in the house to suit up. The past three times I can back about 2 mins later to find the condition I speak of. Power it down and restart, all is fine at that point.

Not sure if this could be related or not but lately it seems that I need to hit the starter button a little longer to start it. It used to fire immediately, now it seems you need to have to hold the starter button for a solid 2 seconds to get it to start.

Could it just be that the battery is finally going? I bought it last November, however it's a 09 so the battery has some shelf life to it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

mine was the oil pressure/temp sensor, and it happened after shutting down in the parking lot for a preride meeting RIDE FOR DAD ( cancer ), hope it helps, was done under waranty but still a pain.

Spyder Garage

Tried the relays. It went away then came back. It does it about every third cold start up or so. Talked to the dealer, he said he needs to scan it for soft codes. I guess I have no choice at this point.

I did notice this morning that it does not seem to "high idle" much the past couple of start ups. Could that be related? Or is it just the warmer weather causing that, since I picked it up last Nov, I have not seem many warmer temps that I rode in yet.

Spyder Garage

Tried the relays. It went away then came back. It does it about every third cold start up or so. Talked to the dealer, he said he needs to scan it for soft codes. I guess I have no choice at this point.

I did notice this morning that it does not seem to "high idle" much the past couple of start ups. Could that be related? Or is it just the warmer weather causing that, since I picked it up last Nov, I have not seem many warmer temps that I rode in yet.

Did you replace a reply and try it - could be just a bad relay that needs replacing?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default limp home mode

installed tail gunner exhaust took it for a ride and check engine light came on and limp home mode came on what should i do

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ticking Sound

Sometimes when I first start the Spyder, it makes a tick and will not start, then I try again and it will start?

Can anyone know what can cause this?

I have cleaned the Battery, but still doing it.

Thanks

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steven gio View Post
    installed tail gunner exhaust took it for a ride and check engine light came on and limp home mode came on what should i do

Check the wire to the co2 sensor.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arana View Post
    Sometimes when I first start the Spyder, it makes a tick and will not start, then I try again and it will start?

Thanks
    Battery.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arana View Post

Thanks
    could be battery, starter solenoid, or starter or loose connection on any of these

Spyder Garage

Default Limp-Home-Mode

Bluezl600EFI , I,m glad for ya after ya shut it off, start up again the limp code's are gone!! Mine had no problems till I, had the steering recall done, & now been back to dealer 3 times ??? for a d.p.s. steering fault code, which puts it immediately in limp mode!! dealer's, & b.r.p. havent got- a fix yet!! after 3-week's, & boss-web updates ( 3 ) , & many new steering parts , kinda frustruating here in colorado

Spyder Garage

If I leave mine parked on an incline I sometimes get the oil light and limp mode. Getting back on a level surface makes it go away.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydeeBite2 View Post
    If I leave mine parked on an incline I sometimes get the oil light and limp mode. Getting back on a level surface makes it go away.
    Check you oil level...sounds low.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steven gio View Post
    Hopfully you are not having this problem anymore. When you first replace the exhaust, you need to let the Spyder idle for 15 minutes. Then shut it down for 15 minutes, and idle it for 15 minutes again. This is supposed to give the ECM time to adjust to whatever differences the new exhaust caused with the air/fuel ratio. If you changed the exhaust and went for an immediate ryde, that could be the cause of the issue.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Limp mode at start

My problem is similar to what is stated above, always happens on start up, so far it clears by turning off and restarting. (The bic has rough idle, misses, dies, idle surges and no power will not shift up - this is limp mode to me) Yesterday it happened at operating temp. Had stopped to go in store for about 15minutes. It did the limp at start, turn off and restart and it purr like a cat.

Talked to my BRP dealer serviceman today, he does not think it is limp, may be bad plug or a computer problem, no real answer. Going to take it in a couple weeks and have them check it out???? My bic is a 10 RT S that is stock, the DPS was done and they added the trailer wiring harness and rode it 2k miles after DPS before the problem started.

I have checked the relays and battery.

Sure like to know what is going on.

Spyder Garage

When mine does it, it actually scrolls LIMP MODE across dash. Has not happened in the last few times I used it so............