Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spyder trnsport

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default spyder trnsport

i have seen many say you cant put a spyder in your pickup,what about this,can i or not,my truck is a 8 ft bead and this one looks to be 6 ft. so should i try or not./??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have seen this done numerous times in Daytona for bike week. Make sure the ramps cant move, or as one person said, go to the back of some stores and use thier ramps.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I would not do it, but everyone has his/her own level of comfort over such things. Here are some pitfalls to be prepared for:

1. Very tight clearances on side and at front of truck bed. The smallest movement, or misalignment when loading, is likely to cause damage.

2. Low clearance will cause a need to load/unload from a dock or hill. It would take tremendously long ramps to accomplish otherwise.

3. The wind can break your windshield when towed "backwards". The windshield should be removed.

4. No room for tie-downs through the wheels, as required. You'll have to tie the rear wheel toward the front of the Spyder, and the fronts toward the Spyder's rear. Access to the tie-downs will be severely limited. Blocking the wheels, with chocks attached to the truck bed, is a good idea.

Spyder Garage

You're better off buying a trailer. This is a pretty expensive toy that you're messing with.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

My concerns would be the back of the Spyder going through the the back window of the truck if you had to stop quickly and that is a lot of weight on the tailgate.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I would not do it, but everyone has his/her own level of comfort over such things. Here are some pitfalls to be prepared for:

1. Very tight clearances on side and at front of truck bed. The smallest movement, or misalignment when loading, is likely to cause damage.

2. Low clearance will cause a need to load/unload from a dock or hill. It would take tremendously long ramps to accomplish otherwise.

3. The wind can break your windshield when towed "backwards". The windshield should be removed.

4. No room for tie-downs through the wheels, as required. You'll have to tie the rear wheel toward the front of the Spyder, and the fronts toward the Spyder's rear. Access to the tie-downs will be severely limited. Blocking the wheels, with chocks attached to the truck bed, is a good idea.
    Too expensive of a toy to try for me . If I need a transpoprt I will rent or buy the proper trailer to tow it. But let us know how you make out

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

In an emergency i guess you can do it?
    But i would imagine after you went though the hassle of getting the Spyder on the truck and then getting it off the truck,
    The next time you have to transport the Spyder, You'll use a trailer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i would love to have atrayler but the least amount of money for one the bike will fit in is 1275 dollars,and i got 200.dollars saved so its going to be a long time for my trayler.the ones ive found are 12 by 6.they dont make 8 by 6 traylers.but those would be a little less money,and i think the bike would fit. so it gos for the poor boys.

Spyder Garage

There has to be a good used snowmobile trailer in your area you could use or even rent when needed!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    i would love to have atrayler but the least amount of money for one the bike will fit in is 1275 dollars,and i got 200.dollars saved so its going to be a long time for my trayler.the ones ive found are 12 by 6.they dont make 8 by 6 traylers.but those would be a little less money,and i think the bike would fit. so it gos for the poor boys.

8 Foot won't be long enough, You'll need at least 10 feet to close the gate. I use whats called a landscape trailer and the gate is also a ramp.
    The trailer i have for the Spyder is 10 by 6 1/2 feet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would agree with the others about tying it down, towing backwards and the weight on the tailgate.
    Have you looked at farm supply store, like Tractor suppy ? Some are called landscape trailer, that come with a ramp. I have one, but it does need the front raised on the jack to allow the RT to be driven on. ( block under the back or it gets interesing ) Look in the paper at used ones or just look around to see if one is sitting in the weeds. Many people buy trailer and quit using them.

Good Luck, ride safe.
    OldManZues

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

8 Foot won't be long enough, You'll need at least 10 feet to close the gate. I use whats called a landscape trailer and the gate is also a ramp.
    The Spyder is 8 3/4 feet long, so unless you have a way to modify the 8 foot trailer it will not work. It could be worse though, I am currently looking for a trailer that can haul 2 Spyders at once so 20 foot is the minimum length for me.

Good luck with your search.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't trust all the weight on the tailgate cables either...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

Eight-foot is fine, but you have to think outside the box:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=19717

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    I feel your pain, but stop and think about what you paid for your. Is it worth the risk?
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

I don't know guys and gals.. I'm thinking possible, now don't beat me up to bad here just hear me out he would do fine ALMOST the way you see it with some modifications.. I agree 100% that the windshield would have to be removed---so once it is off the spyder (4 bolts right?) Now comes 3 other concern's--- Strapping it in----Tailgate weight------Loading and un-loading..

Stapping it in---Not the book method however, why couldn't he put a strap on each of the front tires (on the back side) and hook the other end to the front of the bed tie downs that are provided? Then as for as the rear tire he could strap it using the same tie downs or Chalk it??

Tailgate---This would be somewhat of a concern for sure, BUT having said that I'm sure the cable can hold the weight, the problem could possible be in the hardware that holds the cables in place, I'd take a good look at that for sure, but again, I'm thinking it would be fine..

Loading and un-loading---Pain in the butt for sure and you would need to use a LOADING DOCK at a store,, not impossible to find, they are all over the place, one big enough to manuver around a bit as well..

I'm just saying folks.. I think with some very important STEPS it is possible, even when we haul our spyders on a trailer there are risks,, this method is just a bit more risker I know..

Remember don't BEAT ME UP to bad--I by no means plan on attempting this I have a trailer but this person is trailerless and sounds as though he's somewhat in the market for one but for now I'm just thinking yah maybe, Not giving the GREEN light, just my 2 cents worth.. There ya have it..

xpeschon

PS: By the way, how did you get it loaded and unloaded, you never did say?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xpeschon View Post

PS: By the way, how did you get it loaded and unloaded, you never did say?
    That's not his Spyder in the truck,
    And If I'm not mistaken [my wife thinks I'm always] It was put in with the use of a flat bed tow truck.

Spyder Garage

Just saw that.. He's on a blue one and there's a red one in the truck.. I think your on to something here...................

xpeschon

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

i like a trailer, the Featherlite all Al 10foot that weighs 600lbs rated to 3000lbs have pulled it 7000miles and it follows like a puppy dog. Have enclosed trailer that i prefer that is 12foot total weight with bic is about 3000lbs. The enclosed trailer is easier to tow as it has a lot less wind resistance. See you in Cuba
    Dave Mc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thats a sweet one there but i would have to sell something to buy that how much are these going for.?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Aluma's are $1,400ish, but there's an Eagle Light 6.5x12' about $200 less. A decent (used) 7x12 covered is $3,500+

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Here's an idea.....take GI Joe's ramp system from post #14 and adapt that to the inside of your truck box so that you could load your Spyder facing forward and clearing the wheel wells inside the box. Another great benefit of having it in the truck is it'll stay a lot cleaner up there.
    .....and if you happen to have a receiver style hitch, you could fabricate a T-bar type of support out of square tubing. Extend the receiver so that it comes up just behind and across the width of your open tailgate. The top of the bar would be a bit higher than the gate. Now you can attach plywood from the T-bar forward, over top of the gate, and partway into the box. This way there won't be any stress on your tailgate. Ramps could also be attached to the T-bar instead of the tailgate when loading. I've had great success hauling snowmobiles this way.
    Last edited by spyryder; 01-27-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Feather Lite was having a sale last summer and think I paid $2100 and it is 2011 model. This was from the feather lite dealer in NC. As I said the feather lite is sweet to tow but takes more energy to tow because of the open wind drag and your bics get really dirty. We pulled it to Texas and back.
    Then pulled the enclosed trailer to FL and back and I could easily tell that the enclosed trailer took less power. I may sell the open trailer, it is sweet though. One person can move easily when unloaded.
    The concept was that if I got stopped for double towing I could move the bic trailer with the bic. So far I have not been bothered(knock on Wood).
    Dave Mc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

that t bar deal looks like a deal,man i love this site,so many grate minds working with grate ideas.i wonder if cuba has a dock so it would be easy to unload.the nathenal gaurd here said i could use the dock to load and unload.they know i was in the navy,army and airforce,so they are gald to help an old.milt. dude.thanks for all your help.

Spyder Garage

Problem with transporting a Spyder of either configuration, RS or Rt, is that if you break down somewhere and don't have access to a dedicated trailer or car trailer of some description you are generally stymied.
    To solve the problem (for my RS) I have just ordered a break neck golf cart trailer which, with minor modification to the side rail and an added middle ramp, does the job perfectly. And might I add, at below half the price of a "CanAm Spyder" bike trailer being marketed locally. Worth checking out !