Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My Spyder has had more than its share of visits to the emergency room, and I have talked to Carlo, at length, several times. He has always been professional and courteous to me. I wish you luck in your process and no-one, including BRP, would fault you for pursuing the lemon law. Obviously, replacing your Spyder voluntarily would be extraordinary, but from a business perspective would open up a huge can of worms. Morally the right thing to do, but highly unlikely.

spydee owner

Cool spyder lemon

In a case such as this, where it can be documented that the problems are numerous, companies should have some kind of a pro-rated system for replacing the defective vehicle.
    I talked to a guy today that had a similar experience with a new snowmobile (not bombardier). He got the same run around from the manufacturer. I guess manufacturers don't want to set a precedent for replacing a product, but hey..... its not like they are having 10s or 100s coming back for replacement.
    In a case like this, take it back to the factory and have their people go over it completely. If it cannot be repaired satisfactorily, replace it. This should go for cars, snowmobiles, jet-skis, the works! Once you lose a customer its hard to get them back. Replacing a machine or two isn't going to bankrupt the company!
    I can see exactly how this guy feels. Get all hyped up and look forward to a great experience, and then bam!! When it turns out bad, it really sucks.
    Also, yeah, studybaker bob's post was a little wordy but, hey, I didn't realize that it was a requirement to have an english degree to post.
    Last edited by spydee owner; 12-29-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder from hell

I want to thank all of my brothers & sisters, and Lamont, for letting me vent my nightmares. I will try to be more punctual correct from now on, but, give me a break, I only have a ged. Everything I have written is the truth to the best of my knowledge with no exageration, but, we all know there are two sides to every story.
    I will give a better update next year. Hopefully we will hear from BRP soon.
    It's good that ya-all are responding. That way BRP knows that I am not in this alone. I like the exorcist solution the best!
    Happy New Year
    Studybaker Bob

Spyder Garage

Any chance you're riding around with your foot on the brake?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Any chance you're riding around with your foot on the brake?
    from my experince of riding with bob this was not a issue he showed, I can see this being asked because of his problem.

Bob does just have a bad spyder, I did see several of the issues he lists.

for the people that are hounding bob about his long and non paragraphed rants. He is closer to 80 and is computer is from the 1980's.

He does write me long hand letters and such, just old school like that.

If I did not know bob it would be real hard to read the whole thing, just write it off and a bad owner but if you sent 5 minutes talking to bob in person you would see that is not true.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What good would it do me if I did have a genuine prob. From the way he treated this customer I'd say my previous comment was right on. I'm so sick of hearing about people buying what they think is the coolest thing they've seen since apple pie and then have to go through the probs they have with em and its not like there the first to have this many probs with it i cant believe how hit and miss the spyder is. Half are really well made and the other half are sub par built. and the guy who u think is there to help you out basically tells you your SOL. How is that right ??

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry when I read some one whows getting shafted after spending over 20k on a toy I get worked up and tend to go off the deep end. I'm sorry if I offended anyone :-((

Spyder Garage

Thank you Seth for your input. This adds another information dimension to the string. It might be good to have someone from the geographical area helping Bob with some of the details on getting the machine to BRP for testing.

I do hope that Studybaker Bob will go through the remaining options. It would be nice if BRP would send the truck now--as opposed to waiting 3 or more months. I don't understand that part from the information that has been posted. Maybe a mis-communication of details? Another possibility--maybe someone from the area would volunteer to transport the Spyder to the test facility by trailer or truck.

It would be nice to hear how this situation works out for Bob. No one expects to make such a purchase and have these many problems.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Thank you Seth for your input. This adds another information dimension to the string. It might be good to have someone from the geographical area helping Bob with some of the details on getting the machine to BRP for testing.

I do hope that Studybaker Bob will go through the remaining options. It would be nice if BRP would send the truck now--as opposed to waiting 3 or more months. I don't understand that part from the information that has been posted. Maybe a mis-communication of details? Another possibility--maybe someone from the area would volunteer to transport the Spyder to the test facility by trailer or truck.

It would be nice to hear how this situation works out for Bob. No one expects to make such a purchase and have these many problems.
    I, too, hope that everyone involved continues to explore the options until this can be resolved. Just so folks understand, the BRP tech center is in Wisconsin, and is snowed in this time of year. Test rides to chase problems and test repairs are out of the question until Spring, hence the wait, I suspect. No sense in throwing more parts at the Spyder, untested, as they have failed in time before. The tech facility has tools that are not available to the average dealer, like real-time data logging devices. Maybe they can shed some light on these repeated failures. They also have some of the best techs and engineers in existence.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Send the Spyder to Florida for repairs and test ryding (5 dealers around). I'll volunteer for test/exorcist after the fix.

Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Bob sorry to hear about all your electric / electronic problems. I'm glad that we all have this forum to vent on.

Now having read your post... and although I am no expert on anything... I have had success many times fixing things the mechanics weren't able to find.

From your post we know most, maybe all, of the electrics were replaced. I did not see if the battery and all the fuses/relays were replaced.

I personally experienced a popping then limp mode problem last year and found it was being caused by an 8 dollar relay. The way I found the problem was I took the relays from one 08 and installed them in the other 08. The problem moved to the other spyder.

After replacing the relays in that one machine I decided to replace them in all three spyders. I use the factory relays for emergency spares.

There are hundreds of years experience and tons of brain power on this forum and we can help with this problem. So let's get to work. Ken krb1945

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Send the Spyder to Florida for repairs and test ryding (5 dealers around). I'll volunteer for test/exorcist after the fix.

If doru can't scare the grimlings out of the bike noone can....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    Bob sorry to hear about all your electric / electronic problems. I'm glad that we all have this forum to vent on.

Now having read your post... and although I am no expert on anything... I have had success many times fixing things the mechanics weren't able to find.

From your post we know most, maybe all, of the electrics were replaced. I did not see if the battery and all the fuses/relays were replaced.

I personally experienced a popping then limp mode problem last year and found it was being caused by an 8 dollar relay. The way I found the problem was I took the relays from one 08 and installed them in the other 08. The problem moved to the other spyder.

After replacing the relays in that one machine I decided to replace them in all three spyders. I use the factory relays for emergency spares.

There are hundreds of years experience and tons of brain power on this forum and we can help with this problem. So let's get to work. Ken krb1945

I think based on all the guessing that's been done to this point, akspyderman and scotty have the best suggestion.

Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default wyliec is...

correct this spyder definitely needs to be at BRP Wisconsin test facility. I'm hoping BRP and Carlo will send a truck for it even if it has to sit in their shop until the weather warms up. Ken krb1945

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's exacty what they should do and imediatly I think the guy has gone through enough hardship :-((

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder from hell

Still been very busy dealing with too much snow.
    One of the reasons that I go into great, long, detailed, explanations & rant on & on is because no matter how hard I try to explain everything so percisely, is intermittent, sometimes electrical problems are so hard to diagnois & figure out, & some people still have questions.
    I am not computer litterate so my wife, Joan, has to do all my rants & raves on our old, antique, computer, and she was trying to safe space. We do not have a printer, copier or have the ability to receive or send pictures. We are very low teck, old school. Sometimes what I am trying to say does not come out right.
    We really do appreciate all of your input and encouragement. We will not give up.
    We are really, really hoping to here from Carlo and BRP. We previously wrote to the President, Mr. Jose Bisjli and his three VP's with good results.
    They have realty tried to fix it in the last 1 1/2 years. They have replaced everything they can think of more than once. The spyder from hell has put us all though hell. They can not fix it. It is time for them to step up to the plate and give us the brand new 2009.
    I will keep you all updated next year.
    Studybaker Bob

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder from Hell

After reading the posts, i agree that this Spyder needs to be at the Wisconsin facility for a complete shakedown. I think its unlikely that he will get a new 2009 replacement, unfortunately. Hopefully the BRP tech's and engineers can resolve the issues. As frustrating as it is, it looks like BRP IS
    making an effort to resolve the problem. Good luck and press on.

Old Dog

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder from Hell

Thanks to all for your good suggestions. Thanks to KRB1945 for mentioning the relays & battery, because I do not think they have been replaced. Why didn't the high tecks in BRP's brain factory think of that???. All they have done is through new parts at it.
    How dumb was that to build a test track facility in the ice belt. They can't do R & D work in the snow. Why not down south where they can work 12 months out of the year.
    I would be more than happy to let them have it through the ice cold winter here in MN so they could ride it every day, because thats the only way the ugly demons will pop their heads up. I would be more than willing to let them have it for as long as it takes, within reason, to fix it. It has to be ridden every day to know.
    If they told me, we know why it stalls out when you up shift & it goes rump, rump, rump, rump, like the computer is trying to figure out what to do next, and we know how to fix it and we will.
    If BRP was to say to me, we know why it won't start sometimes, and we know how to fix it and we will.
    If BRP was to say to me, we know why it back fires in the air box, with big explosions, we know how to fix it and we will.
    If BRP was to say to me, we know why your DPS keeps going out, and we know how to fix it and we will.
    If BRP was to say to me , we know what all your other problems are, we know how to fix them and we will, all in a very timely manner.
    But, I do not think they know whats wrong with it or how to fix it, because God knows, they have tried by throwing every new part at it they can think of.
    We offered to them to come and pick it up months & months ago and to take it up to their facilities. In our short riding season, they did not respond.
    It is obvious to me they do not know how to fix it. I am burned out.
    I have been more than patient and cooperative, and still making my 275 payment for nothing.
    If BRP cared for their beloved custiomes, and do the right thing, they would step up to the plate and show everyone they stand behind their product.
    I have had it, I am burned out with the spyder from hell. BRP needs to find the problems & fix the spyder, not me, the customer. The simple answer to all of these continous problems is to give me the brand new 2009 spyder.
    Thanks to all of my brothers & sisters.
    Studebakerbob