Spyder Garage

Default General We Are Still Around

Hi, it's been quite some time since I took part in anything here. I am not much for giving my 2 cents (I don't have lots of sense to spare).

First it's a shame about all the problems I hear people are having with their units. I remember when we were thinking of and then first got our Spyder how so many people were having problems. It made me wonder why in the world are we getting one?

We had a few small things not right in the beginning but nothing major. Then we decided to take our trip to prove to ourselves that this is going to be a great machine and get us where we wish to go. Well, we went, we saw and we conquered. I wish all of you had had the great machine that we have been fortunate to receive. Ours is so tried and true it makes me shake my head when Dudley talks about getting a "new" one. I am not ready financially, and am not ready to be rid of such a reliable asset. Maybe in a few years...then there will be new machines with new glitches.

This didn't say much except that I still enjoy the Spyder, wish I could do something about my pegs and seat..I am having spine/back issues from this and other things that I participate in too avidly.

Have fun, enjoy what you can when you can.

BillGargan

Replace your seat with a Comfort Seat and replace your stock pegs with the SFB floorboards. I did and could not be happier.

I -- like you -- have had no major issues that prevented ryding . . .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Kjen, you and Dudley could give us all lessons on how to really enjoy our Spyders. Joyce and I are trying to have as much fun with ours as y'all do and, like you, we haven't had any problems but we only have a little over 8000 miles on ours. We rode over to a little Mexican food place today for lunch. About 140 mile round trip. They make Navajo fry bread that is delicious. They also had a sign that said: "If you have a sour outlook on life - Go out and sit on the front porch until you can change it."

Sounds like good advice to me.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    Kjen, you and Dudley could give us all lessons on how to really enjoy our Spyders. Joyce and I are trying to have as much fun with ours as y'all do and, like you, we haven't had any problems but we only have a little over 8000 miles on ours. We rode over to a little Mexican food place today for lunch. About 140 mile round trip. They make Navajo fry bread that is delicious. They also had a sign that said: "If you have a sour outlook on life - Go out and sit on the front porch until you can change it."

Sounds like good advice to me.

Cotton

That's about as well put as it could ever be.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BillGargan View Post
    Replace your seat with a Comfort Seat and replace your stock pegs with the SFB floorboards. I did and could not be happier.

I -- like you -- have had no major issues that prevented ryding . . .
    Thanks Bill, I have a Corbin seat which we drove up to Hollister to get fitted. My footboards were something Dudley came up with. Our modifications did work for me, but as a passenger I find there is more hip action (movement) on the Spyder as compared to our past bikes and it gives my lower area trouble at times. May have something to do with age and body changes. Hope to scoop out my seat somewhat and give more thought to floorboard mods.
    Last edited by Kjen; 09-29-2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: picture didn't load

Spyder Garage

This picture was supposed to go with the previous post. Had a senior moment and forgot to hit upload. We actually have a couple thousand more miles than what shows since we changed the display due to sun damage at the very beginning.

Spyder Garage

Cotton, going out for a bite is a great excuse to ride; if we need such. Dudley and I traverse the same roads constantly and it always seems I find something new to admire or see differently. This could be due to times of day and play of sunlight. Mainly this is why I am the passenger, I love to LOOK.

Spyder Garage

Hi Kjen haven't saw a post from you since your North American tour. { rode with you out of Niagara Falls } One sure fix for your back troubles is a new RT. Unbelievable comfort on stock seat and you can grab a little shut-eye on those long trips while being safe and sound . With Dudleys bargaining skills I'm sure he will get the best price possible .
    Happy Owner

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kjen View Post
    Cotton, going out for a bite is a great excuse to ride; if we need such. Dudley and I traverse the same roads constantly and it always seems I find something new to admire or see differently. This could be due to times of day and play of sunlight. Mainly this is why I am the passenger, I love to LOOK.
    I testify to this. I have followed these guys, and Jennifer is always swiveling in the seat, looking about, pointing out things to Dudley, and snapping pictures as they roll. Come to think of it Kjen, maybe all that swivelling is hurting your back?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I testify to this. I have followed these guys, and Jennifer is always swiveling in the seat, looking about, pointing out things to Dudley, and snapping pictures as they roll. Come to think of it Kjen, maybe all that swivelling is hurting your back?
    HMMM. How to mount this to the back of the Spyder....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Bring it over! I have a welder!

Spyder Garage

Awesome, you guys are real helpful. Thanks Dan I enjoyed meeting you and Bruce. Loved that trip and wish we could do it again. Dave's chair looks pretty awesome too; maybe hitch a trailer and bolt the seat in there and I will truly be the "backseat" driver?
    Scotty, no, no, no we/me do/does not need a new ride at this time. All the moving with being nosey to see and the hip pivot and such does wear on the body; I tend to do other stuff at home that contributes to that. Everyone seems to have good ideas, but being the passenger is way different than the driver as to position and such. Maybe I'll just have to get my own and have a different posture all together.
    Not going to happen. It's not always bad; more good than not. Just have to remember when dismounting to look like I'm having a great time in case some interested spectator sees me; wouldn't want them to think it's not a great bike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Always good to have you here Jen. Wish you posted more since you have such a good common sense outlook on things!

Wish you luck solving your passenger issues. I hate to think that your aches and pains could just be "getting old". But we are all at that point eventually in our lives, like it or not!!!

If Ron and I get back into action next year I want to get the passenger footpeg extentions and backrest for him. He hates to spend extra money on things. But he gets cramps in his hip. Not good when the passenger practically has to stand up to ease the pain!!!

I envy you your trust and sense of security on the Spyder. I have had nothing go wrong with mine. I just haven't put on the miles yet to develop that trust. The new DPS is going to help a lot of my concern. I was not looking forward to dealing with a steering failure!!

Good luck to you and Dudley in deciding what to do as far as a trade or keeping the SE5 you have. You sure have put it to the test and it has come through a winner!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    HMMM. How to mount this to the back of the Spyder....

OH WOW that must be the new Road Sofa seat I've been hearing about!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jennifer, have Dudley get the ISCI armrests.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Default We fixed the seating issues

A while back there was talk of different methods to get better seating. All had good suggestions. Dudley used the aching situation to get his new toy; as many of you already know. Guess it was to be expected.

Years ago when I had a flat tire on my bicycle, he went and bought me a new bike. Next time I got a flat our daughter wanted to know if he was going to get me a new bike.

I wasn't ready financially for the RT at the moment, but oh well, it's only money and the deal was too good to pass up considering all the miles we had on the RS. Have to admit that the seating is a lot better. The trunk/back rest cups my back and almost halts the spinal play I'd been used to with the RS; this is a great plus. All around it seems to have a better, smoother ride. At present it is in the shop! due to a leaking rear shock; thank goodness for warranty.

Spyder Garage

Nice to see you posting again, Kjen. It's been awhile.
    Wishing you the best with your new RT, and hope it will be as reliable and as much fun as the RS
    Just a little reminder of you trip last yr. Enjoy !!!!

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

and enjoy your new ride . Going to get a RTS myself . If you are ever up this way again would love to ride with you and Dudley again .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reminder picture Larry, it was a wonderful ride. Dan we wish we could revisit everyone and then some more! We hope to take another ride to put the missed states onto our map. It won't be the same as all the miles on just one spyder, but we'll know it was accomplished.
    I still revisit the journal and check out all those pictures. We did it all so quickly that some times it's difficult remembering being in some places. Anyway, enjoy the ride time, ours will come again soon.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Hi Kjen! I'm not much of a talker on here either anymore but saw you and wanted to say HI! I hope your back problems subside - those are no fun - I know all about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjen View Post
    Hi, it's been quite some time since I took part in anything here. I am not much for giving my 2 cents (I don't have lots of sense to spare).

First it's a shame about all the problems I hear people are having with their units. I remember when we were thinking of and then first got our Spyder how so many people were having problems. It made me wonder why in the world are we getting one?

We had a few small things not right in the beginning but nothing major. Then we decided to take our trip to prove to ourselves that this is going to be a great machine and get us where we wish to go. Well, we went, we saw and we conquered. I wish all of you had had the great machine that we have been fortunate to receive. Ours is so tried and true it makes me shake my head when Dudley talks about getting a "new" one. I am not ready financially, and am not ready to be rid of such a reliable asset. Maybe in a few years...then there will be new machines with new glitches.

This didn't say much except that I still enjoy the Spyder, wish I could do something about my pegs and seat..I am having spine/back issues from this and other things that I participate in too avidly.

Have fun, enjoy what you can when you can.