Thread: Extra Keys

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Extra Keys

Anyone know where to get an extra key for the Spyder. Dealers charge too much.

Spyder Garage

Default KEYS

My understand is that only a dealer can program one, I know our lock smith dosen't have the blanks. Even without the chip.

Spyder Garage

I think it's probably a dealer only item. It will also need to be programmed and you need to have all your keys at hand for the reprogramming because they will all be given the new coding. A bit of a hassle.

When I bought my extra key, the dealer sold me the blank but could not cut it. I had to go the a key shop to get it cut and then return to the dealer for the re-programming. The lesson is to buy all the extras you want at one time.

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Default Keys

You can purchase the unprogramed key from your dealer and there is a procedure in the owners manual for programimg it. If cutting is required, any good key shop can help you out and my local key shop even knows the program procedure. Requires a key that is already programed. Hope that helps.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I checked the operators manual and could find nothing about being able to program the key yourself. If you are able to post the procedures here that would be great as I need a extra key and don't want to pay the ridiculous prices the dealers want to program it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Found the procedure in the shop manual, but it requires a master key for reprogramming. I am pretty sure that the only people that have a master key are the dealers, so you are stuck paying them to do it.

Spyder Garage

Your original keys are the master keys. If you lost both then you are SOLed. So be sure to always have a spare to copy from. Once copied, the copy becomes the master as well.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A blank key will cost about $40. Cutting the key about $5+ (Home Depot & Lowes COULD NOT do the job 2 years ago because they did not have the right die and did not want to do it with the chip inside, I had to have a mobile locksmith do the job at the dealer). Programming the key cost $40. An expensive mistake for losing the key 2 weeks after buying the bike. My wife carries the extra key in her purse when we rYde together.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

acccording to the shop manual the master key is a red colored, intentionally uncut key. It also list a specific part number for the master key. If you haved tried programming a new key with one of the keys you got with the Spyder please post those procedures. Looking at the shop manual procedures I don't see any way it can be done without the specific master key.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bozzzz View Post
    Anyone know where to get an extra key for the Spyder. Dealers charge too much.
    Do you have an RT or RS? I have a 2008 SE5 and received 2 keys at purchase. Both are cut and programmed. Do you need an extra key because you only got one when you took possession?
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My spare key cost $60 at my dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Spare Key

Spare key was less than $30 from dealer and he reprogrammed all my keys for free. You guys must have some really crappy dealers if the charge you for something that takes less than 2 minutes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought my RT used and the seller claimed to have only received one key when he bought it he also didn't give me the cylinder for the trailer lock. Today I was at my dealer getting my trailer hitch installed and I inquired about extra keys and a new lock for the trailer. Bottom line is about $150 plus programming. This would give me a trailer lock and two keys programmed alike. Sounds really high to me.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3whlLefty View Post
    I think it's probably a dealer only item. It will also need to be programmed and you need to have all your keys at hand for the reprogramming because they will all be given the new coding. A bit of a hassle.

When I bought my extra key, the dealer sold me the blank but could not cut it. I had to go the a key shop to get it cut and then return to the dealer for the re-programming. The lesson is to buy all the extras you want at one time.
    No big deal. Good to have.