Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default no motorcycle driving permit???

Hi all spyder lovers ...

I'm a new member from canada and does'nt have my spyder yet .it will probably next spring .Each time i see one of these machine it tear up my stomach..... year is gonna be long .Congratulations for the site and to all members that give the "missing " experience a got..

Stupid question: in quebec it's seems that you don't need a motorcycle driving licence ..ok ...but what about the rest of the continent??is it the same for the USA and the rest of canada?? the dealer say yes !!! but i would like to be advise by the real people on the streets

Tanks

Mbaloo

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I can tell you that here in California USA no M-1 is needed. Just your valid class-C driver's license. I am not sure about other states though. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Default MC Permit

In Maine you need a learners permit to drive a Spyder and Licence to carry a passenger.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default no motorcycle driving permitt

Well, I live in NC, and have had my Spyder for 3 wks. I have a learners, and was told by the DMV here in NC that I would never pass the motorcycle test on this bike. However, I can renew the learners forever, so I will drive on it, I just can not have a passenger. What is up with this, some Spyder owners have never ridden a two wheeler, and never will.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

welcome
    Here in the state of Colorado USA. One needs to have a motorcycle license and or driver license with motorcycle endorsement.

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind that each state will recognize another state's valid driver's license. In addition, I believe all states recognize a valid driver's license issued in one of the provinces of Canada.
    Dan

BillGargan

If you are valid to drive where you live, all US states offer what they call reciprocity. That is to say, you are legal everywhere in the US if you have a valid Canada license.

That does not extend to state laws . . . For example, if helmets are not required in Canada, that does not carry into the states you travel through.

So, if you were in -- say -- Massachusetts, you would be required to wear a helmet even though you are not required to wear one elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Keep in mind that each state will recognize another state's valid driver's license. In addition, I believe all states recognize a valid driver's license issued in one of the provinces of Canada.

Spyder Garage

taken directly from BRP's site:

License - Ohio

Operators must have a valid:

* Motorcycle license, or
    * Motorcycle 3-Whl license, or
    * Learners permit

To obtain a Learner's permit, operators must successfully pass both:

* Vision test, and
    * Written exam

To obtain a full License, a Skill Test will be required. The test can be taken on a Spyder Roadster, but license may be restricted to 3-wheelers.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default License

Quote Originally Posted by mbaloo View Post
    Hi all spyder lovers ...

I'm a new member from canada and does'nt have my spyder yet .it will probably next spring .Each time i see one of these machine it tear up my stomach..... year is gonna be long .Congratulations for the site and to all members that give the "missing " experience a got..

Stupid question: in quebec it's seems that you don't need a motorcycle driving licence ..ok ...but what about the rest of the continent??is it the same for the USA and the rest of canada?? the dealer say yes !!! but i would like to be advise by the real people on the streets

Tanks

Mbaloo
    In NY you need a Motorcycle license. You can take the test on the Spyder, but will have a restriction to 3 wheels only.

It varies by state.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Motorcycle license needed in New Jersey.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

South Carolina no longer requires a motorcycle endorsement, nor 3 wheeled vehicle endorsement, in order to operate the Spyder. We used to need 3 licenses, but they have now cut it down to just the standard drivers license.

However, as others have stated, that really doesn't matter because as long as you are legal to operate it where you live, and are licensed, you are supposed to be legal everywhere.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

In general, US states and other Canadian provinces honor the licensing requirements of the issuing state, province, or nation. There are exceptions. At least four states either do follow the international (or US) reciprocity agreements, or have entered into their own agreements. It pays to check the requirements of the state or province you choose to enter. Most travel is governed by the local traffic laws, in conjunction with the appropriate Foreign Reciprocity Agreement. The AAMVA Foreign Reciprocity Guide gives detailed information on the use of these agreements.

If you are properly licensed in your home province, have a properly licensed personal vehicle, and are properly insured (with an international insurance card if crossing the border), you should be fine, as long as you follow the local traffic laws. It may take some explaining to some officers, but you should normally be able to travel without much trouble. Even the states without reciprocity don't often rattle any cages.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MN a MC end. is needed.

Spyder Garage

welcome Need one in Ontario .
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Illinois, USA

Quote Originally Posted by jmaynard1986 View Post
    taken directly from BRP's site:

License - Ohio

Operators must have a valid:

* Motorcycle license, or
    * Motorcycle 3-Whl license, or
    * Learners permit

To obtain a Learner's permit, operators must successfully pass both:

* Vision test, and
    * Written exam

To obtain a full License, a Skill Test will be required. The test can be taken on a Spyder Roadster, but license may be restricted to 3-wheelers.
    Illinois seems to have the same requirements as Ohio. I have been told that we no longer have to complete a figure 8 which caused problems passing the driving test. They now even show a drawing of a Spyder in the driving instruction manual.

welcome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    Illinois seems to have the same requirements as Ohio. I have been told that we no longer have to complete a figure 8 which caused problems passing the driving test. They now even show a drawing of a Spyder in the driving instruction manual.

welcome
    I currently only have my permit, so Im not even 100% sure what the actual license test consists of here, but If it can be taken on a Spyder, it can't be too bad...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

In Canada, motor vehicle liceneses are governed by the individual provinces. You are lucky to reside in Quebec. In April 2010, the government of Quebec created a special classification for three wheeled motor vehicles.

BRP is leveraging this new law to stimulate sales of Spyders.
    http://spyder.brp.com/en-CA/SAAQ.htm

Follow the link to the Quebec government's official website. There you will find details to the information you are seeking.

Hope this helps.