Spyder Garage

Default Help with some problems a friend is having! with RT-S

Hi All,

A friend of our bought a RT-S and she is having a totally different issue with the transmission then we all had.

She did have the creep issue and the recall work was completed.

1.) Now when she comes to a stop her bike stays in 5th gear and the RPM's go hi. She stated that she can not shift the bike out of 5th gear and has to gas it hard to get up to speed where she can then shift down to 4th. This has happened numerous times to her and our mechanic is stumped so here I am asking for HELP!

2.) She also has an issue where she had her cell phone in the glove box and when she was done riding she opened the box and found that she could not even hold the phone it was so hot. My glove box stays nice and cool and I know people have talked about this but can't seem to find the threads.
    Chezeburger
    2010 - Orbital Blue RT-S
    2003 - Yamaha V-Star 1100
    2012 - White RT-S Limited added 4/30/13

Spyder Garage

Default Glove Box

I have a RTS # 444 and my glove box gets real hot to.

Spyder Garage

I have rts 0060 and you wouldnt want to leave a chocolate bar in there

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Diddo on the hot glovebox... Also... Ask her if she has tried putting it in reverse when this happens.

Additionally, there is a computer update that I was told helps this issue she is having with fifth gear. Will not fix the recall, but....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've actually had the heat in the glove box drain my phone battery. I had to turn the phone off, let it cool and turned it back on, had a full battery again.

I see that BRP has a full insulation kit for the glove box, insulation for the bottom and sides and an insulation insert for inside the glove box. It is available individual parts or as a full kit. My dealer is still trying to find out if this is a warranty fix or not, as it will require a fair amount of disassembly to put the insulation on the bottom of the glove box.

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CSX4350 View Post
    I've actually had the heat in the glove box drain my phone battery. I had to turn the phone off, let it cool and turned it back on, had a full battery again.

I see that BRP has a full insulation kit for the glove box, insulation for the bottom and sides and an insulation insert for inside the glove box. It is available individual parts or as a full kit. My dealer is still trying to find out if this is a warranty fix or not, as it will require a fair amount of disassembly to put the insulation on the bottom of the glove box.
    John,
    If you have a chance, please get the part numbers and any other info related to the "full insulation kit". I'd love to order one for my RT. If you guys think chocolate is a mess in that compartment, try leaving a tube of chap stick in there.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

# Part No. Description

100 705004427 Exterior Front Isolation Foam

101 705004428 LH Exterior Isolation Foam

102 705004429 RH Exterior Isolation Foam

103 705004424 Heat Shield

104 705004426 Internal Foam

Oh, and sorry, no full kit part number, the dealer showed it but it doesn't seem to be listed on the parts list I have, just the indivicual part numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by frank3 View Post
    John,
    If you have a chance, please get the part numbers and any other info related to the "full insulation kit". I'd love to order one for my RT. If you guys think chocolate is a mess in that compartment, try leaving a tube of chap stick in there.
    Last edited by CSX4350; 06-29-2010 at 06:13 PM.