Spyder Garage

Default Cheesy airbox 2.0

Since many have asked if my vents are 'real' and wanted to know what is under the hood.... here it is....

This is my "cheesy airbox 2.0" prototype.

Been running this one for around 3,000 miles and seems to work very well at keeping the Evoluzione intake noise quiet while bringing in cold air for the intake. Both vents feed cool air into the new airbox-- which is simply 2 parts held together with zip-ties (hey-- I did say CHEESY didn't I).

My main goal was to quiet things down as the Evoluzione intake setup is LOUD! This cut noise down easily 50%-- probably closer to 75%-- I can hear my Hindle again!

Inside the box is the Evoluzione Race intake foam filter/manifold plate.

I used:

3" Fresh Air duct rated up to 400 degrees

2 Stainless steel marine cowl vents

2 Intake Duct Mounting plates

DEI Heat Shield and heat tape.

The entire box was made by using the sticky-back DEI heatshield-- 2 layers stuck to each other. I had leftovers so I used that on the Y panel. This stuff is amazing--- REALLY sticky, fireproof, heat shield.

Still hoping someone will come out with a new airbox setup.. or might go with an Aerocharger setup... but for now this is my current airbox prototype.

Any questions or ideas--- post away.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

and more....

Spyder Garage

and more.....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Very cool work, I like it. Have you compared running it without the intake hose's? I've noticed in previous projects very much ducting of intake air creates too much turbulence in some cases. Just try it with out tubing let the hot air in see if you are leaner if you are leaner without tubing then tubing is too restrictive. This is just a test I would do if it were mine.

Very cool
    Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice write up Dan!

Where did you get the marine intakes?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i been thinking about this for long time but i can not think of a real good way to do this without spending a lot of money. k&n makes universal cold air intake but it's 208 bucks each and that's nothing compared to money needed for air intake part on spyder. i can get cheaper intake hose but every flex and every spiral bump inside will cause turbulence and loose air pressure. i did experiment with 3" hose(ridged plastic) with big scoop but it did not perform better. i may just do a air intake on y-panel but no cold air intake directly to throttle body. i have no problem with air intake noise of evo's race air system. actually, with tipless two bros muffler, i don't hear much of air intake noise anyway.

i know firefly did this more to quiet down the air intake noise so mission accomplished i am assuming.
    Last edited by aka1004; 05-09-2010 at 09:59 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

I've run with just the vents, just the vents and hoses, etc. and found no major difference in performance. For sure not running lean right now.

Haven't decided what I want to do with it all next--- just gonna ryde with it like this for awhile and see if anything else comes out in the way of intakes.

Then again there's always that Aerocharger that hopefully will really hit the market--- just wish it wasn't so dang expensive.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Very cool! Thanks for posting this (I have been out of town for a week)
    I think I am going to try some silicone turbo hose fittings and PVC pipe (if I can find 2.5 inch PVC)
    They are available on Ebay and is for intercooler piping and such Then I am going to install a UNI filter on the end of each and just eliminate the Evo filter but keep the Evo intake.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RShrimp View Post
    I think I am going to try some silicone turbo hose fittings and PVC pipe (if I can find 2.5 inch PVC)
    They are available on Ebay and is for intercooler piping and such Then I am going to install a UNI filter on the end of each and just eliminate the Evo filter but keep the Evo intake.

Interesting... please post pics of what you end up doing!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RShrimp View Post
    hehe. i have been pondering with same idea for over a year.

time and money is keeping me from doing it.
    not only making scoops out of fiberglass hard work and expensive to paint and i will be making scoops and duct in the dark without any scientific test. if you don't have brp fogs, at least you can run the ducts to there.
    also i will have to make a airbox on top of evo's intake so about same amount of air will go into each cylinder rather than one duct feeding one cylinder. i guess if i keep the duct the same length, may be that will do the trick without a airbox.

there are some polyurethane tubing that are rigid but somewhat flexible in all kinda sizes and elbows will be real good for ducting and cheaper than k&n universal duct but silicone ones will be about the same i guess.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Do a quick ebay search for "intercooler pipe 2.5" and you will se what I intend to use. Looks like $100 will get you what you need (plus the uni filters for the ends of the pipes)