Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust Pipe Wrap

Last summer there was a lot of talk about wrapping the left pipe to mitigate heat reaching the rider. For those that have had the wrap for awhile now...was it worth the effort and expense? If so, what brands do recommend?

Thanks,

Tripod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

glad you brought this up i have been wondering the same thing. i read about it last summer and was going to do it but then i heard some say it was good to do and others say its bad because the pipes cant dissapate heat or something ( think i read this on spydertalk.com ). I am going to be doing this to mine soon because sitting in traffic and having my legs sweating is not a fun thing and wearing shorts on my bike all the time probably isnt the smartest thing either. anxious to see what others are saying. I know the ones that did do this though really liked it ( again on spydertalk.com ).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
    Last summer there was a lot of talk about wrapping the left pipe to mitigate heat reaching the rider. For those that have had the wrap for awhile now...was it worth the effort and expense? If so, what brands do recommend?

Thanks,

Tripod
    I am glad I did it. It does reduce heat noticabley and probably a bit of sound as well. It it time consuming and you don't want to be in a hurry. I used the narrow stuff, 1" wide but I've also used the 2".

The 1" takes longer to do because it covers less area per wrap but it is easier to get around bends and tends to give a nicer finished job.

I like the black. Some are impregnated with graphite or a silicone compound. Any of them will work better than the bare pipe.

Just take your time and use it as therapy, bonding with your bike!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I wrapped mine last year and have not had any problems. Used 1" black exhaust tape. My wife and I both noticed the difference when riding. It cut down the heat substantially.

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 412Spyder View Post
    glad you brought this up i have been wondering the same thing. i read about it last summer and was going to do it but then i heard some say it was good to do and others say its bad because the pipes cant dissapate heat or something ( think i read this on spydertalk.com ). I am going to be doing this to mine soon because sitting in traffic and having my legs sweating is not a fun thing and wearing shorts on my bike all the time probably isnt the smartest thing either. anxious to see what others are saying. I know the ones that did do this though really liked it ( again on spydertalk.com ).
    You don't want the pipe to dissipate heat. Heat dissipation does several negative things and not 1 positive thing.

1-Hot gasses move more easily, quickly than cooler gasses. You want the exhaust to exit as quickly as possible. This means all the way out the tailpipe. If the pipe dissipates heat this translates to cooler exhaust gas and less efficient exhaust removal.

2-The heat that is dissipated goes into the engine compartment heating up every component including the incoming air (more or less depending on mods). This also has a negative effect.

3-Heat that is dissipated can make it unconfortable for the rider, especially in stop and go traffic.

The whole idea of the wrap is to keep the heat in so your engine will run better. This is probably a minor effect on our Spyders. But keeping the heat off the rider is a big plus.

There are just no negatives to wrapping your pipe other than the time and expense, both of which are not that big a deal.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

We have 4 rolls for sale. 2 in black and 2 natural color. Give us a call on Monday if you would like some.