Thread: Questions

Spyder Garage

Default Questions

Greetings:

I am almost ready to make the switch from a Gold Wing to a Spyder. I have a few questions that the dealer could not answer.

1. How does the performance compare between the Gold Wing and the Spyder?

2. Combined rider weight will be 460 lbs. and we will be pulling a Lee-sure Lite trailer. We spend a lot of time in the mountains. Are we going to have a problem pulling the trailer there?

3. I would love to hear from Lee-sure Lite owners and their experiences pulling them behind a Spyder.

4. How much trouble am I going to have trying to wire the Lee-sure Lite trailer to the Spyder?

Thanks to all!

Regards,
    Al Alvord
    Arcadia, FL/Grand Rapids, OH
    Last edited by copper; 04-20-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

welcome from Fl...

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by copper View Post
    1. How does the performance compare between the Gold Wing and the Spyder?
    This is the only one I can answer. The stock 1800 GL will outperform the stock Spyder in a straight line by at least 3/4 second in a quarter mile.

However, as your experience grows with the Spyder, it may be fairly comparable in the twisties... except for the extra effort the Spyder requires. It will tire you out quicker in continual switch-backs.

The Spyder is a very "active" ride for twisties. Lots of leaning in and possibly butt-shifting are needed to really push it.

Last edited by ataDude; 04-20-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder is pulling the trailer very good. I have installed two kayaks on it.

Use trailer mode on the Spyder it works very good

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

Greetings:

Thanks for your post. Have you pulled the trailer in the mountains? How much trouble was it to wire the trailer to the bike. I assume there is some kind of trailer mode on the bike you are talking about....

Regards,
    Al

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by copper View Post
    Greetings:

Thanks for your post. Have you pulled the trailer in the mountains? How much trouble was it to wire the trailer to the bike. I assume there is some kind of trailer mode on the bike you are talking about....

Regards,
    Al
    The SE5 version of the RT has a trailer mode that you set to change the shift points when towing.

Spyder Garage

I have found the RTS to very comfortable to ride and as long as you don't mind keeping it in the power cure it has enough power.

It won't be like your GW, leave it in high gear and roll on the gas to go. The RTS will require you to shift more often for sure.

As you will be riding two up most of the time, have the dealer put it in the parking lot. Then make sure the air pressure in the front tires is set to 15 psi (they handle way better at 15 psi which is where BRP says to set it anyway) Then make sure you can live with what it takles to steer it while at a standstill. two up.

Big guys solo is marginal, but you need to be sure to bring your wife and check it two up at 15 psi for sure.

Being you will be pulling a trailer and will need to do this sometimes while backing, make sure you're OK with the effort this is going to take to do while two up with the air set correctly.

That and it needs better shocks and springs are the only "major" beefs I have with ours.

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 04-21-2010 at 07:44 AM.