Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: belt tension

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by czdaryle View Post
    I just noticed mine is too. Do I follow the steps early in the post to loosen the belt? Then move it over, tighten again. If so I guess that would mean loosening the axile nut, turn both hexs nuts equal turns to the left to loosen belt. Move the belt over 1mm and then turn both hexs nuts equal turns to the right until proper tenision and then tighten axile nut. Is this correct?

I could take this to the dealer but I would like to learn to do the belt tension myself as I already have purchase the tool.

thanks
    You are correct that the axle nut needs to be loosened to adjust tension or alignment. If your belt tension is good right now, but the alignment is off, loosen the axle nut, then adjust only the right adjusting screw. If your tension is too tight or too loose, do both screws in slightly different amounts. For instance, if you want the belt to track further right at roughly the same tension, loosen the right adjuster ever so slightly, pull the wheel back sharply to seat the adjuster, tighten the axle nut, and test by riding or by running with the Spyder securely jacked up. I suggest adjustments in increments of bolt flats. Try half a flat or a whole flat first. For the same tension with the belt tracking too far left, tighten the right adjuster. It may take a few tries to get it exactly where you want it.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Do not adjust the belt position after backing up your Spyder: the belt is 5-10 mm away from the flange.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by czdaryle View Post
    I just noticed mine is too. Do I follow the steps early in the post to lossen the belt? Then move it over, tighten again. If so I guess that would mean losening the axile nut, turn both hexs nuts equal turns to the left to losen belt. Move the belt over 1mm and then turn both hexs nuts equal turns to the right until proper tenision and then tighten axile nut. Is this correct?

I could take this to the dealer but I would like to learn to do the belt tension myself as I already have purchase the tool.

thanks
    BTW... if you have a hydraulic jack... jack up the rear end so that the tire is off of the floor... start it and place in third gear... and adjust the gap while the wheel/tire is rotating. That saves the "adjust-a-little, ride-a little" scenario. Makes it very quick to adjust.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

thanks guys....gonna try to get today...love this place!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tension gauge question

When measuring belt tension with the Krikit gauge, I assume the measurement is taken at the center of the belt. That being the case, how much deflection of the belt should there be before the guage clicks?

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Default today

i found a 36 mm socket at sears for only 9 bucks, it was a craftsman too.
    i wasnot able to lift the rear of the bike so i just rolled it back and forth to set the
    adjustment. my belt was running against the flange so i turned the right
    side allen head 1 full turn clockwise. i marked the top of the allen with a
    marking pen to make sure i only turned it one turn. one the left side i
    turned the allen head one turn counter clock wise to loosen the belt.
    my torque wrench only goes to 75 lbs. so after using it i took my half inch
    breaker and tightened it a LITTLE BIT more. i did not have guage so i used
    the belt twist method , the belt loosened a little. you will also need a big
    crescant or a pipe wrench to hold the left hand nut. i knew i would not be
    able to ride the spyder untill monday so i made miner ajustments.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ecalabre View Post
    When measuring belt tension with the Krikit gauge, I assume the measurement is taken at the center of the belt. That being the case, how much deflection of the belt should there be before the guage clicks?
    The gauge clicks with 10 Lbs of pressure.
    The amount of deflection (which is what the gauge is measuring at 10 Lbs of pressure) tells you the tension of the belt.

Clear as mud?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default That makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Latemarch View Post
    The gauge clicks with 10 Lbs of pressure.
    The amount of deflection (which is what the gauge is measuring at 10 Lbs of pressure) tells you the tension of the belt.

Clear as mud?
    Thank you. Perhaps if I had bought the Krikit and read the instructions first, I would have answered my own question. I'm off to NAPA.

Spyder Garage

Default Just bought the little gage...

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Naw, 25 bucks and they work great. I've been using them for years on my Boss Hoss. :bigthumbsup:

Amazon.com: Gates 91132 Belt Tension Tester: Automotive

Just bought the Gates Green Stripe Krikit II Gage.

To say that its instructions and small sketches are confusing is an overstatement...

Anybody out there with clearer instructions / pictures on how to properly use this gage...?

Thanks in advance, Pilo
    Last edited by Pilo; 04-13-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Notifications

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    Just bought the Gates Green Stripe Krikit II Gage.

To say that its instructions and small sketches are confusing is an overstatement...

Anybody out there with clearer instructions / pictures on how to properly use this gage...?

Thanks in advance, Pilo
    Did you read the directions by the first poster here? - http://www.amazon.com/Gates-Krikit-V.../dp/B000CRDLZM

I don't have one; but, his/her instructions seem straight forward. I also noticed Baja Ron had a post there.
    Last edited by wyliec; 04-13-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Did you read the directions by the first poster here? - http://www.amazon.com/Gates-Krikit-V.../dp/B000CRDLZM

I don't have one; but, his/her instructions seem straight forward. I also noticed Baja Ron had a post there.
    Thanks Wyliec, thatīs exactly was I was looking for.

I did not buy it from Amazon, so I did not see any reviews.

Saludos, Pilo