Thread: DPS Question

Spyder Garage

Default DPS Question

I am new to Spyderlovers but not cycling (riding sense 1972). I just purchased a used 2008 Spyder with all updates including the DPS update preformed two weeks before purchase. I live in WI so riding season is a few months away. What does the DPS problem feel like if the bike is at idel? I have an issue that at idel the lights on the front fender flickers a bit when turning the handle bars and there also seems to be a rough feeling when turning at idel. Is this normal because it is only ideling?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

welcome

There are quite a few threads on this forum that discuss the steering issue, and what it feels like. One thing they all seem to have in common is that it happens at speed. I have a 2009 SE5, and mine is hard to turn at an idle on the pavement as well. I am pretty sure it is just the friction from the tires at that point.

A very good thing to do, that I have read on here time and time again, is to make sure all of your fuses and relays are fully seated in their slots. If they happen to come loose it can cause some strange problems as well.

You may want to get the flickering lights checked out, as I am not sure what that could be.

Best of luck with your new Spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!

Also check that your battery cables are clean and firmly attached. It sounds like you may be having some sort of electrical "short" going on. That could in turn effect the DPS which is supposed to come on and assist at lower speeds only - since it really is not "needed" at high speeds.

Spyderwolf is right, most DPS steering issues seem crop up at speed - over 55mph for me.

Here is a link where I describe what I experienced:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=heads

I have seen several postings that were exactly like this and a few others that seemed to be a little different.

Tom

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I second the notion that you have a battery issue. Could be loose or corroded connectors, a tired battery, or just a run down battery. The Spyder magneto does not charge much at idle, and the DPS pulls a lot of juice. Could easily pull the battery down too far.

Remove the body panels, then remove, clean, and reconnect the battery terminals. Be sure to do the ones on the battery, not the jump start terminals under the seat. Be sure the bolts are properly tightened.

Make sure the battery is fully charged. A ride may not do it, especially in stop-and-go or cold weather. Use a Battery Tender or the equivalent. After sitting overnight, the battery should be above 12.7 volts if it is good. It should remain above 10 volts while cranking to start. If not, replace the battery.

Hope this cure your ills.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vforce View Post
    I am new to Spyderlovers but not cycling (riding sense 1972). I just purchased a used 2008 Spyder with all updates including the DPS update preformed two weeks before purchase. I live in WI so riding season is a few months away. What does the DPS problem feel like if the bike is at idel? I have an issue that at idel the lights on the front fender flickers a bit when turning the handle bars and there also seems to be a rough feeling when turning at idel. Is this normal because it is only ideling?
    welcome
    My 08 will act the same, if i let the battery run down. [too many elc. acc.at idle] = Like every body is saying check the battery.

Spyder Garage

Default DPS and flickering lights

Thanks; I thought it may be lack of charge and was going in that direction but input is always welcome. As for the DPS I will have to wait for the snow to melt.

Vforce