Spyder Garage

Default DPS Part Numbers

The DPS (dynamic power steering) part numbers are not the same for the 2008 GS and the 2009 GS. They are same, however, for the 2009 GS and the 2010 RS. The 2010 RT has a different part number.

It would be interesting to know how the parts themselves are different. Manufacturers do not change part numbers without a reason. Sometimes the reasons pertain to functionality, and sometimes not.

It would also be interesting to know how many of the steering failures occurred in 2008 models as compared to 2009 models.

It seems that when a steering failure occurs, BRP typically swaps out the DPS unit. Because the part numbers for the GS/RS models have not changed since the introduction of the 2009 models, it would seem that BRP views the problem simply as one of defective manufacturing at the vendor level and not as a design flaw. There appears to have been no engineering changes for more than a year, if ever. We don't know why the part number changed in 2009.

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    The DPS (dynamic power steering) part numbers are not the same for the 2008 GS and the 2009 GS. They are same, however, for the 2009 GS and the 2010 RS. The 2010 RT has a different part number.

It would be interesting to know how the parts themselves are different. Manufacturers do not change part numbers without a reason. Sometimes the reasons pertain to functionality, and sometimes not.

It would also be interesting to know how many of the steering failures occurred in 2008 models as compared to 2009 models.

It seems that when a steering failure occurs, BRP typically swaps out the DPS unit. Because the part numbers for the GS/RS models have not changed since the introduction of the 2009 models, it would seem that BRP views the problem simply as one of defective manufacturing at the vendor level and not as a design flaw. There appears to have been no engineering changes for more than a year, if ever. We don't know why the part number changed in 2009.

From my experience with selling OEM parts, it appears that one reason part numbers are "superceeded" to a new number is to justify a price increase. Another reason is a change in who manufactured the part. The parts are often identical. Only the number has been changed. Of course the part could also have evolved into a new and improved type replacing one that was originally defective. Probably only BRP knows why the DPS numbers were changed on some bikes and not on others.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

In the case of the RT-S, the steering geometry and shaft/handlebar components are quite different from the GS/RS. At very least that has required different connections and dimensions. That may or may not be all that has changed, but I suspect there may also be a change in ratios or programming. The RT-S steers quite differently from the GS/RS, and I don't think it is entirely the extra weight and the wider track (with resultant changes in steering geometry). I doubt even a trained tech knows for sure. The DPS is purchased from an outside supplier, and is not considered to be a serviceable part. It is just changed out when it fails. JMHO

Spyder Garage

I am not concerned with the RT. The significant observation is that the 2010 RS is using the same DPS as the 2009 GS. This would seem to mean there have been no engineering improvements at least since the introduction of the 2009 model. The solution to the problem has not yet resulted in any physical change to the DPS.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So far, from what I remember of the postings on this forum, almost everyone who has had steering issues has had them with the 08 models. I am not sure how many 09 models have experienced the same problem, if any.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

In order for a P/N to roll...there has to be a change to "Form, Fit, or Function".

Spyder Garage

My Spyder is a 2009 SM5 in the shop right now having the DPS changed out because of locking up issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bubbahetzel View Post
    My Spyder is a 2009 SM5 in the shop right now having the DPS changed out because of locking up issues.
    Thanks for the info. I wonder how many other 09s are having the issue then?

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Only saw 2 on NHTSA

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Dave01 is a 2009.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Smylin and Doc.