Spyder Garage

Default Need suggestions on how to keep my RT radiators clean?

I just bought my 1st Spyder RT 2021. I need suggestions on how to keep the radiators clean. I have only ridden it 600 miles and can't believe how many bugs already. Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-26-2024 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Elbow grease water hose not necessarily power wash. There are aftermarket grills to help, suggest ride more & know more before upgrading.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by djs14534 View Post
    I just bought my 1st Spyder RT 2021. I need suggestions on how to keep the radiators clean. I have only ridden it 600 miles and cant believe how many bugs already. Thanks
    First off and

Use a leaf blower to clean the radiators. Then install front KOTT Grills, that will help to keep the bugs & etc out of the grills.

Check the vendors on this site.

They are easy to install.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-26-2024 at 09:11 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Kott grilles and Aluminum screen
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Spyder RTL- dark trim
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda 340-S Fastback
    1969 Barracuda, 6.1 Hemi restomod, convertible
    1970 Plymouth Superbird, 440-6bbl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you want a homemade grill filter go to your local hardware store and get a furnace pre filter. Not the kind that looks like a car air filter. Get the very fiberous? Looking filter. The kind I used is like forest green. Ace hardware has it most the time. Cut to fit nicely over radiator inlet. Make it fit tightly. Take out and spray paint black. I took a wire coat hanger and cut the straight part in half and stick filter in hole. Then take half hanger and stick across to hold it in. Works awesome. Take out wash out bugs as needed. Been doing this for 15000 miles. 105 degrees out pulling motorcycle trailer on vacation trips. No problem overheating at all.
    Last edited by Rockdog; 05-27-2024 at 01:39 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rockdog View Post
    if you want a homemade grill filter go to your local hardware store and get a furnace pre filter. Not the kind that looks like a car air filter. Get the very fiberous? Looking filter. The kind i used is like forest green. Ace hardware has it most the time. Cut to fit nicely over radiator inlet. Make it fit tightly. Take out and spray paint black. I took a wire coat hanger and cut the straight part in half and stick filter in hole. Then take half hanger and stick across to hold it in. Works awesome. Take out wash out bugs as needed. Been doing this for 15000 miles. 105 degrees out pulling motorcycle trailer on vacation trips. No problem overheating at all.
    nice idea!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Since there is no free lunch, best to learn how to effectively clean those radiators, accomplish the task frequently, and if desired use the least obstructive secondary screen possible.

Years ago, I learned from another person here, to use hydrogen peroxide to remove bugs from radiators. Simply, I use an old discarded sprayer from glass cleaner, trim the straw if needed, and screw that onto a plastic bottle of peroxide.

With radiators cool or cold, I spray them and keep them wet with peroxide for say 5 minutes. Typically whatever time needed to drag out the garden hose and possibly soap bucket if washing the Spyder.

Again, keep refreshing the wetness of the peroxide.

After those few minutes, use the garden hose, with a spray pattern and low pressure so not to damage or distort the radiator fins, and rinse the bugs and dirt out spraying from the aft side towards the front.

Super simple, no damage and low cost. Our 2014 does not run any secondary screens. Maybe some day I will regret that, but more than a decade without them has been fine for us.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by djs14534 View Post
    I just bought my 1st Spyder RT 2021. I need suggestions on how to keep the radiators clean. I have only ridden it 600 miles and can't believe how many bugs already. Thanks
    tooth brush and shop vac.... i would not use a leaf blower... might bend the fins

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) grilles are one of the best farkles designed for Can-Am Spyders. They were amongst the three accessories I added to my roadster when I first brought it home from the dealership. When I temporarily removed them to do a radiator cleaning at 44K miles I was amazed at how many bugs had NOT gotten to the radiator fins. There were not 10 bugs total on both radiators.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rockdog View Post
    If you want a homemade grill filter go to your local hardware store and get a furnace pre filter. Not the kind that looks like a car air filter. Get the very fiberous? Looking filter. The kind I used is like forest green. Ace hardware has it most the time. Cut to fit nicely over radiator inlet. Make it fit tightly. Take out and spray paint black. I took a wire coat hanger and cut the straight part in half and stick filter in hole. Then take half hanger and stick across to hold it in. Works awesome. Take out wash out bugs as needed. Been doing this for 15000 miles. 105 degrees out pulling motorcycle trailer on vacation trips. No problem overheating at all.
    Thanks for the great idea.....

I just did this simple mod. Radiator grills were clear as I give them a vac and blow after most rydes. Cut a little oversize so I don't need any extra supports. A 30 to 45 min job, including painting.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

After witnessing this mess when I had my frunk off I decided to install black fiberglass insect screen over the stock grilles on my 2015. I was afraid they might fill up with bugs and crap really fast, but they don't. I vacuum them out every 2 or 3 rides even though it's not necessary. Works better than I had hoped for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I took the frunk assy off removed the factory screens, stretched aluminum (screendoor) screen over them, misted them & the radiators with a couple coats of black laquer. I can brush the bugs off & vac them without worry. And, the blackout radiators give the 2020+ a more sinister look!

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants