Spyder Garage

Default PedalBox - sport mode doesn't seem to be different than city mode - OK or not??

I had the PedalBox+ (3 modes with Bluetooth) installed recently and haven’t played with it much due to the warnings from y’all and the tech that installed it.

The tech that installed it said one of the first things to try is to get going down a flat straightaway and keep the throttle still and put it sport mode and feel the bike accelerate and then ride around in that setting for a while. (He left me in city mode.)

So today I did exactly that. Got to about 40 mph in 3rd and switched from city to sport mode, and nothing. No shift in rpm, no speed increase. So I played around some from full stop and accelerated and nothing really impressed me.

More data: At the same 40mph in 3rd, I DO notice a jump when going from “off” to either city or sport mode. Also city or sport are generally more responsive than “off”. And a BIG jump when going from city or sport to sport +! (Like it swings my head back and I gain about 8-10 mph). I just don’t really notice difference between city and sport, even if I use sport tweaked up 3.

The other test that I’d like to run, but I will have to find some safe place to do it is find my top speed over a set distance using WOT in off, city, sport, and sport+ to see how sport mode compares.

For you installers or PedalBox+ owners, does this sound normal? Should I re-tune it? Should I unplug it and start all over? Or did I maybe get a bad PedalBox? Or does sport mode not affect the 3000ish rpm range in 3rd gear/ 40ish mph?
    Last edited by Allen42; 05-24-2024 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Fix title
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Slingmods USB and QuadLock phone mount with vibration dampener
    Highway pegs
    Rear GENERAL ALTIMAX RT45 SL 225/60R-15 tire
    Drink2Go front/rear Cupholders
    3D printed Turn Signal/Shifter caps
    KOTT Grill covers
    LED Headlights + LED Foglights
    High Mount Trunk brake/turn lights with brake strobe
    Pedal Box+ w/BT
    Show Chrome gas shock for rear trunk
    Foam Grips
    Red Rim Covers
    VIOFO MT1 Front/Rear Dash Cam system
    Upper Radiator Exhaust Block (SpyderPops)
    ShowChrome Heavy Duty seat shock

Spyder Garage

I reckon that's cos the tech misled you, probably inadvertently tho - mind you, it's late-ish here in Oz (well, for me after the day I've had! ) and I might not be explaining this clearly, but from my use and experience with these things, that 'test' he gave you/that you describe you did & then played around with really won't do anything/make any changes in speed etc, simply because the PedalBox only varies things once it's ON, and it's only once the PedalBox is ON, that it'll intercept the CHANGE in signal from the throttle as you twist it, when it'll 'enhance' that signal to give you a feeling of quicker response!! But if you get it up to any speed while if it's ON already and then you switch modes without moving the throttle setting at all, there's been NO change in the throttle settings at that speed; so there's nothing for it to enhance, so there's gonna be no 'extra' enhancement occurring, and consequently no change in anything!

But as you've found, if you turn the PedalBox ON to any enhanced setting from OFF, then suddenly your throttle input gets more responsive as you twist it from no throttle to some throttle - exactly as these things are designed to work! Remember, these things only intercept the CHANGE in the throttle signal to the ECU and they only enhance it to give you a greater % of WOT throttle setting earlier in the twist... if that makes sense to you?!

So what you're experiencing sounds perfectly normal to me....

And if you're chasing a change in your 'final' or ultimate top speed achievable by your Spyder at WOT given enough time &/or distance, then you won't get one - the ECU settings haven't changed, your gearing hasn't changed, and unless you've made changes to wheel rolling dia or aerodynamics etc, your ultimate top speed won't change!!

But you MIGHT, if you're extremely quick on your timing/speed measuring devices, be able to detect a speed increase in the speed (less than your Spyder's ultimate top speed) that your Spyder can achieve over a relatively short distance, because the PedalBox will be delivering the WOT signal to the ECU & on to the throttle body juuuusst a smidge sooner in the degree of twist you've applied to the throttle! Does that make sense to you too??

Just Sayin'!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2024 at 05:27 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks as always Peter, but I think I didn't describe things well, or you missed it in your tiredness:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    ... simply because the PedalBox only varies things once it's ON, and it's only once the PedalBox is ON, that it'll intercept the CHANGE in signal from the throttle as you twist it, when it'll 'enhance' that signal to give you a feeling of quicker response!! But if you get it up to any speed while if it's ON already and then you switch modes without moving the throttle setting at all, there's been NO change in the throttle settings at that speed;
    But, it does make a LARGE change when it's already on and am at speed, and I go from either city or sport to sport+, so ....

But as you've found, if you turn the PedalBox ON to any enhanced setting from OFF, then suddenly your throttle input gets more responsive as you twist it from no throttle to some throttle - exactly as these things are designed to work! Remember, these things only intercept the CHANGE in the throttle signal to the ECU and they only enhance it to give you a greater % of WOT throttle setting earlier in the twist... if that makes sense to you?!
    It makes perfect sense, but what I'm saying is that I notice NO difference in city vs sport, mode. Only Sport+ seems to make any difference.

And if you're chasing a change in your 'final' or ultimate top speed achievable by your Spyder at WOT given enough time &/or distance, then you won't get one - the ECU settings haven't changed, your gearing hasn't changed, and unless you've made changes to wheel rolling dia or aerodynamics etc, your ultimate top speed won't change!!
    Yep, understand... that's not what I'm expecting. (Although that would be nice.)

But you MIGHT, if you're extremely quick on your timing/speed measuring devices, be able to detect a speed increase in the speed (less than your Spyder's ultimate top speed) that your Spyder can achieve over a relatively short distance, because the PedalBox will be delivering the WOT signal to the ECU & on to the throttle body juuuusst a smidge sooner in the degree of twist you've applied to the throttle! Does that make sense to you too??
    *THIS* is what I'm hoping for... faster acceleration. So, yes, a faster top speed, in say, 1/4 mile, or 1/8 mile, or whatever.

Basically, I expected some noticeable difference between City and Sport mode, and I don't notice much of any, if any at all, even when I bump the Sport mode to +3.
    Last edited by Allen42; 05-24-2024 at 08:15 AM.

Highway pegs
    KOTT Grill covers
    Pedal Box+ w/BT
    Foam Grips
    Red Rim Covers

Spyder Garage

All the PedalBox, Pedal Commander, etc. do is change the exponential of the throttle curve. Either slow it down or speed it up. Min and Max remain the same, only the percentage of actual throttle changes for a given grip position. It will not increase maximum acceleration or top speed. What it is meant to do is increase the sensation of acceleration when used in the upper sport modes because you have to twist the grip less.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    All the PedalBox, Pedal Commander, etc. do is change the exponential of the throttle curve. Either slow it down or speed it up. Min and Max remain the same, only the percentage of actual throttle changes for a given grip position. It will not increase maximum acceleration or top speed. What it is meant to do is increase the sensation of acceleration when used in the upper sport modes because you have to twist the grip less.
    ..... and have said so many times that for about the same money you could have gotten the ECU re-programmed by Monster Fuel and actually gained approx. 25 HP which you certainly would notice .....good luck ....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-24-2024 at 10:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... and have said so many times that for about the same money you have gotten the ECU re-programmed by Monster Fuel and actually gained approx. 25 HP which you certainly would notice .....good luck ....Mike
    The ECU ( stage 1) I did years ago is great. It also did enhance throttle activation some. Decades ago I did add a device on my poor, old, slow V-Max to have the V-Boost open much earlier, kinda like the throttle boosters talked about here. It's one step above useless. I seldom turn it on............

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... and have said so many times that for about the same money you could have gotten the ECU re-programmed by Monster Fuel and actually gained approx. 25 HP which you certainly would notice .....good luck ....Mike
    Yes, yes, yes. I understand all this and didn't expect a better top end or max throttle. That's not what I'm asking. I just want to know if I should see and notice a difference between CITY and SPORT mode.

Sounds like I probably need to ask PedalBox themselves.

Highway pegs
    KOTT Grill covers
    Pedal Box+ w/BT
    Foam Grips
    Red Rim Covers

Spyder Garage

It might not be working correctly. Sometimes that will happen with electronics. I never even considered the city setting. I bought the PB to come up to rpm faster between the turns. I've got mine set on sport level 3, and with that setting it does exactly what I bought it for. When I whack the throttle coming out of a turn it gets with the program. It still has a little delay but it's much better.
    For me the sport+ will probably never be used. I tried it, but its to sensitive unless your on a straightaway. No way would I use this setting in the twisty's or inside my garage.
    Last edited by Dasmoetorhead; 05-24-2024 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Sp

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    Yes, yes, yes. I understand all this and didn't expect a better top end or max throttle. That's not what I'm asking. I just want to know if I should see and notice a difference between CITY and SPORT mode.

Sounds like I probably need to ask PedalBox themselves.
    Yes you should notice a difference between City and Sport. My suggestion would be to pull over, stop the Spyder, make your change, then try an acceleration test. I'm not sure you should notice any difference at all if the throttle is held constant. I could be wrong.

And yes you will notice a greater mph and less time to cover a given distance between the different settings. I have done all the tests and there is definitely a difference.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!