Spyder Garage

Default 2023 F3-Limited Side Panels no longer Align - what's the trick, or what am I missing?

On my 2023 F3-Limited I removed my side panels to install LED bulbs, and it appears they don't want to line up correctly after putting them back on. There is more gap near the top than the bottom. Is there a trick to this other than the 4 screws and the 3 plastic retaining rivets? I looked at it closely, and I'm not seeing anything I may have missed. I have removed and installed plastic bodywork on other various motorcycles over the years, so this is not my first rodeo. Am I just anal and this is normal, or did I miss something? Thanks.

IMG_4071.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2024 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Looks OK to me. But if you want to see if you can even the step and gap up, loosen all 4 screws, get it where you want it, and snug up the screws at that end first.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2024 at 04:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by djh3 View Post
    Looks OK to me. But if you want to see if you can even the step and gap up, loosen all 4 screws, get it where you want it, and snug up the screws at that end first.
    That’s how I put it back together. It minimized the misalignment as seen in the picture. I just want to make sure that there wasn’t a “trick” to reassembly. I really didn’t pay attention to the alignment before I took it apart.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2024 at 04:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

I found the same thing with my 24 RT Sea-to-Sky panels. You kind of jockey them into place, and then quick snug down the screws before they move again.

More of an art than a skill.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

I would say you're lucky you got them that close!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Leave be, as is for now. Get eyes on several other Spyders, possibly even a new one on the dealers floor. Then compare.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check that the panel is nested into the notch/catch features on the Fuel Tank cover (long one down the center of the Spyder, in front of the seat). I just reassembled a '23 F3-L after full body paint and had similar issues. Fiddled with the fit, checked the "nesting", getting it as good as I could. It still looked crappy and had a small gap, but after a day or so, everything improved. Also, temperature change and normal movement of the plastic used in the panels affect the imperfection of the alignment. In my experience, the older models (2015 - 2018) had better alignment and fit.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

I made it a little better. I checked the fitment to the center piece on the tank. I held the side panel in place while the wifey tightened the two screws by the seat, then the others. It was probably a little misaligned from the factory, and I never noticed.