Spyder Garage

Default I got another New Helmet!

I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundations 3-Wheel Basic RiderCourse back in February, and since a helmet was required, I turned to Google to find a good helmet for someone who wears eyeglasses.

I ended up with a very nice helmet, that fit well, and did a great job at accommodating my glasses.
    It was a modular helmet, with nice venting, and even had a built-in sun shield you could pull down in front of your glasses or push up out of the way.

The helmet is gray, which isn't really a problem. The problem is that it's a Harley-Davidson branded helmet, with a big Harley-Davidson logo on the back, which you can see in the second picture.

After taking the 3-wheel course I decided to buy a Can-Am Spyder, and I ended up with a Vegas White Satin 2024 RT Sea-to-Sky. A lovely matte white color, which doesn't really go well with my shiny gray Harley-Davidson helmet.

So more time with Google, and apparently the HD helmet is actually made by HJC. Even more time with Google and I settled on an HJC C91 Solid helmet, in Semi Flat Pearl White color. It arrived this morning. It has built in speaker pockets for Bluetooth communication, and it is ready for the "SMART HJC Bluetooth" system (sold separately).

A bit of time removing the SENA 3S Plus headset from the HD helmet, and the headset is now installed in the HJC helmet. The speakers for the headset are attached to the helmet with velcro circles that adhere to the inside of the helmet. When I went to install the speakers, I found that the helmet already had the round velcro circles installed for the speakers, so I just pressed the speakers into the velcro that came with the helmet, routed the wires, placed the microphone, and then plugged in the USB charging cable to give the headset a full charge.

Here are the two helmets side by side:

helmetsfront.jpg

helmetsback.jpg

And while the Semi Flat Pearl White color isn't an exact match to the Vegas White Satin, it's a lot closer than shiny gray.

colorcheck.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2024 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

HJC makes some good helmets. I worked my way through three of them before moving up to a Shoei Neotec. Haven't had problems with my glasses on any of them (though every now and then I do catch one corner of my glasses when putting the Shoei on).

Thank you for getting a white helmet. I always cringe a bit when a student shows up to a class with a shiny new black helmet. I support their freedom of choice. But a helmet is one of the best things to use to help make yourself seen, and white is one of the best colors to choose for that.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2024 at 07:01 PM.
    2024 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Hell would freeze over before I bought anytime that said Harley on it, but HJC are good helmets. Maybe you could sell the other one. Or put a sticker over the Harley symbol and use it for your passenger.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2024 at 07:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PDXRTL View Post
    Thank you for getting a white helmet. I always cringe a bit when a student shows up to a class with a shiny new black helmet. I support their freedom of choice. But a helmet one of the best things to use to help make yourself seen, and white is one of the best colors to choose for that.
    Not to mention that this time of year it's soaking up all the sun's rays.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2024 at 07:02 PM.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Get a BrakeFree light from Lamonster and put it over the HD logo.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JB62 View Post
    Hell would freeze over before I bought anytime that said Harley on it...
    The Harley-Davidson helmet is a Capstone Sun Shield II H31 Modular Helmet - Gauntlet Grey.

If you do a Google search for the best helmets for someone that wears glasses, it's at or near the top of the list.

That's why I bought it, ignoring the branding.

It'll probably end up on eBay, sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Get a BrakeFree light from Lamonster and put it over the HD logo.
    An interesting idea, but I think the white helmet goes better with my Spyder.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

Always Good to have a spare

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I like the gray.
    HJC makes a good helmet. Color, who cares. I had a matching helmet with my first MC, aVTX 1300, then after 5 years and 100,000 miles it with a bright yellow for viability. The black Royal Star Venture I bought a blue/silver. After 75,000 miles and 7 years I traded for a Red Triumph Tiger, still blue helmet. 22,000 and 1 year I totaled the Triumph. Now I have a red Spyder. Had to replace helmet. The red was on sale so I bought it

If you like the Harley helmet put a reflective decal over it and ride. The main thing is protection.
    75 years Old, 50 IBA rides including Mile Eater Gold, 2 Mile Eater Silver, 3xSS3000, multiple SS2000&BB1500, many SS1000, 49 states, all provinces/territories with roads, Dalton Highway, Hatcher Pass, Death Valley, Mt. Evans, Lake Superior Circle Tour, Trans Labrador Highway. 15,000-20,000 miles/year. My VTX as it appears on Race Tech site

Spyder Garage

My first motorcycle was an '80s red Yamaha SECA 550. I bought a red helmet to go with it.

So now I have a white Spyder and a (nearly) matching white helmet.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

Just bought a new lid myself! CycleGear is having a helmet sale this week. Picked up a Shoei RF-SR in matte dark grey (which looks more silver-y than grey to me). Sale included a basic Cardo Spirit Bluetooth unit, installed, at no charge, but they credited me the value of that basic unit toward the purchase of a Cardo Freecom 2. Also purchased a Transitions visor for it. No chance to try it out yet, as have been super busy on the farm. Replacing my Bilt Techno 2 w/ DWO-5 Bluetooth. Had this helmet about 7 years. Bluetooth is OK, but helmet has lots of wind noise. Have been wearing earplugs, but wanting to get away from that except on long distance rides. Hence the new lid. Last few rides have been with my older HJC CL-17 in black/red, but 1) it has no Bluetooth or tinted/dropdown visor and 2) this helmet has hit the pavement at 55mph during my crash in 2017, so really need to quit wearing it. As for color and/or color matching, I’m not much into that. Thought the silvers were pretty visible, but my Spyder is yellow and my CTX1300 was dark blue, so not exactly color coordinating. Happy riding with your new lid!

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

I have the i10 full face and the i30 3/4 shell by HJC. Both helmets are very comfortable but also heavier than many others I've tried on. We have the Smart HJC communication devices as well.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BCNewell View Post
    Just bought a new lid myself! CycleGear is having a helmet sale this week.
    I received the "Helmet Week" flyer from CycleGear, so I knew about the sale, and I did buy it from CycleGear, but the C91 wasn't on sale.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee