Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

If you search digital temp gauge and go back to 2013 or so posts, you'll find the parts needed to complete the job.

Spyder Garage

2024 RTL - ambient air temp showing on the dash appears to be several degrees high once the sun comes out (and yes, we do get sunshine in the PNW, but don't tell anybody). Any ideas where the sensor is and whether anything can be done so it correctly reports the air temp?

Obviously not a critical problem, but indicators that provide false information drive me crazy.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2024 at 05:59 PM.
    2024 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PDXRTL View Post
    2024 RTL - ambient air temp showing on the dash appears to be several degrees high once the sun comes out (and yes, we do get sunshine in the PNW, but don't tell anybody). Any ideas where the sensor is and whether anything can be done so it correctly reports the air temp?

Obviously not a critical problem, but indicators that provide false information drive me crazy.
    I have a 14 RT and it has always read 2 to 3 high ......I think they all do, based on numerous comments in the past 10 years .....Mike

Spyder Garage

It's not for the luxury of the rider. It's for the engine and computer for combustion! Just wait 'til you stop at a traffic light in HOT weather, it really goes up!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2024 at 07:04 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    It's not for the luxury of the rider. It's for the engine and computer for combustion! Just wait 'til you stop at a traffic light in HOT weather, it really goes up!!

Correct. The sensor is located where it can tell the computer what the air temperature being delivered to the throttle body is. 'Ambient' is probably not the best terminology for what this gauge reports. The ambient condition for the rider is not the same as for the throttle body.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2024 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I relocated the ambient temp sensor on our 2014. Plan was more accurate temp readings.

Downside was the location inside the airbox was similar to the oem location readings, but it demonstrated why the engine suffers badly on warm or hot days.

Spyder Garage

My 2018 F3L has always read up to 4 degrees above ambient. A quick mental calculation puts it into a proper ambient perspective.

Spyder Garage

I think we may be missing the point here. The temp sensor needs to have an accurate reading of the air going into the throttle body. Tamper with that reading and you're not going to get the correct fuel/air mixture into the engine. If you want a more accurate reading for the temperature you're riding in, then it needs to be coming from a separate system.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2024 at 07:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Peter for combining the threads. Sorry I didn't find the other one first.

And thanks to those who know what that gauge is for. I really appreciate the education.

Though for goodness sake, why doesn't BRP explain that? Or even better, why don't they use a bar meter like they do for the coolant temp? A little consistency would be nice. I know, or at least I'm learning, asking for such things from BRP may be asking for too much.

Now, on to try to find a thermometer that will work. Which I know is hard to do on a motorcycle, finding a place where the sensor won't be affected by engine heat or sunshine.
    2024 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Thank you Peter for combining the threads. Sorry I didn't find the other one first.

And thanks to those who know what that gauge is for. I really appreciate the education.

Though for goodness sake, why doesn't BRP explain that? Or even better, why don't they use a bar meter like they do for the coolant temp? A little consistency would be nice. I know, or at least I'm learning, asking for such things from BRP may be asking for too much.

Now, on to try to find a thermometer that will work. Which I know is hard to do on a motorcycle, finding a place where the sensor won't be affected by engine heat or sunshine.
    You make a good point and one that I'm not going to attempt to explain as sometimes I don't understand what BRP is thinking. They could have chosen not to publish the output. Your car has the same system (as do all fuel injected engines). It is an integral and necessary component to make the engine run properly. But you're never going to see the output unless you're plugged into diagnostic software. The temperature reading you see in your car is from a separate system, positioned so as to be relevant to the passenger environment.

I suppose what BRP does may be valuable information, but only if it is properly explained (which it is not). So you, as was I, can easily be confused as to why this sensor seems to be so inaccurate. I personally would rather not have a gauge than to have an inaccurate one. This one drove me crazy until I discovered its purpose.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-21-2024 at 08:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Correct. The sensor is located where it can tell the computer what the air temperature being delivered to the throttle body is. 'Ambient' is probably not the best terminology for what this gauge reports. The ambient condition for the rider is not the same as for the throttle body.

I think we may be missing the point here. The temp sensor needs to have an accurate reading of the air going into the throttle body. Tamper with that reading and you're not going to get the correct fuel/air mixture into the engine. If you want a more accurate reading for the temperature you're riding in, then it needs to be coming from a separate system.
    Ron, my apologies if it upsets you that I blended two of your replies.

You sir are quite correct that referenced ambient temp, and also ambient pressure, are utilized by the engine management computer to obtain a correct air / fuel ratio for conditions at that moment.

Contending with the inaccuracies of ambient temp is something I am very familiar with, and made serious modifications resulting in far better performance.

Therefore, while the ambient temp is indicated, unfortunately, the difference between actual ambient temp, reported ambient temp, and induction air temp can have a large variance.

The current setup on our 2014 RTS has a relocated sensor. Doing so, decreased engine power output. After some time recording data regarding engine induction temps, it became obviously apparent how the engineers did try for a true cold air intake, but in operation failed miserably.

To eliminate some of the issues, the newest body style RT series no longer runs a true cold air intake. The design team retained previous model year airbox, but eliminated the duct that picks up air, forward of the radiator. Bad part of these newer versions is that the air, heated by the radiator, flows up into the airbox.

So our setup, air sensor has been moved, and after a lot of effort and expense, I was able to get induction air temps much lower, and the engine generates more available horsepower. To the trained ear, the change in exhaust note from the true cold air induction, and along with that a far more correct AF ratio.

Mike, the Blueknight chopped up his airbox and added a plumbing elbow that hangs outside the bodywork. This almost mimics the latest gen RT series intake. Better, but heat soaked parts eliminate any and all gains.
    Last edited by PMK; 05-21-2024 at 08:36 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For 1st generation 1330cc Spyders, there are two air temperature and pressure sensors -- manifold and ambient -- input to the ECM. The ambient air temperature is sent to the instrument cluster via CANBUS. If both the fuel and coolant gauges are present, the instrument cluster emulates an analog NCT to drive the coolant gauge. If your digital coolant gauge uses an analog NCT sensor you might be able to directly replace the Spyder gauge with the digital gauge. Some fussing with load resistors maybe needed because the instrument cluster detects the presence of the coolant gauge and uses its LCD if it isn't present. Measure the resistances of the Spyder gauge and the digital gauge signal circuits and try to get them to match.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

The WHY they don't may be as simple as this ..... When you are in your car, it's enclosed ( or can be ) so you can heat the air or cool it .... you don't have that option on any Mtc. .... I don't understand why anyone needs to know the EXACT ambient air temp. .....If you really want to know jusy buy one of those little stick on thermometers and stop complaining..... Also the folks who complain about lack of these types of features are the same one that complain about the HIGH prices you pay for a Spyder ..... JMHO ....rant over >>>> Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Ron, my apologies if it upsets you that I blended two of your replies.

You sir are quite correct that referenced ambient temp, and also ambient pressure, are utilized by the engine management computer to obtain a correct air / fuel ratio for conditions at that moment.

Contending with the inaccuracies of ambient temp is something I am very familiar with, and made serious modifications resulting in far better performance.

Therefore, while the ambient temp is indicated, unfortunately, the difference between actual ambient temp, reported ambient temp, and induction air temp can have a large variance.

The current setup on our 2014 RTS has a relocated sensor. Doing so, decreased engine power output. After some time recording data regarding engine induction temps, it became obviously apparent how the engineers did try for a true cold air intake, but in operation failed miserably.

To eliminate some of the issues, the newest body style RT series no longer runs a true cold air intake. The design team retained previous model year airbox, but eliminated the duct that picks up air, forward of the radiator. Bad part of these newer versions is that the air, heated by the radiator, flows up into the airbox.

So our setup, air sensor has been moved, and after a lot of effort and expense, I was able to get induction air temps much lower, and the engine generates more available horsepower. To the trained ear, the change in exhaust note from the true cold air induction, and along with that a far more correct AF ratio.

Mike, the Blueknight chopped up his airbox and added a plumbing elbow that hangs outside the bodywork. This almost mimics the latest gen RT series intake. Better, but heat soaked parts eliminate any and all gains.
    I'm Mike (the BLUEKNIGHT) who "chopped up his airbox" - but that wouldn't be my terminology for what I did. I removed the plastic intake plumbing to the Airbox (including the rubber Elbow) and replaced it with a short straight 3" tube which creates an un-cluttered straight shot into the box - the air is Ambient temp. If I was drag-racing, I could put a piece of dry ice in the tube and see if that effected the performance. ....Mike I have an album with pics too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2024 at 11:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm Mike (the BLUEKNIGHT) who "chopped up his airbox" - but that wouldn't be my terminology for what I did. I removed the plastic intake plumbing to the Airbox (including the rubber Elbow) and replaced it with a short straight 3" tube which creates an un-cluttered straight shot into the box - the air is Ambient temp. If I was drag-racing, I could put a piece of dry ice in the tube and see if that effected the performance. ....Mike I have an album with pics too.
    Absolutely fully grasp your intentions, and while my words chosen may be slightly a skew, I should rephrase to mention you cut a large hole in the bodywork, allowing the three inch item to protrude.

In simple terms, anyone with a 2014 to 2020 series RT series can accomplish a completely reversible mod, by eliminating the forward duct and by doing so will have the same as the 2021 and after Spyder RT series airbox setup.

The unfortunate overlooked design flaw is how intensely the induction air path heat soaks, and even far, far worse is the recovery time required to drop temps even a few degrees. With my modified changes, I can easily witness, exactly how badly heat soaked items are, and can also monitor and see the change as the items cool.

Not uncommon to witness engine induction temps 25*f even up to 40*f greater than ambient temps from heat soaking. Recovery time of a stock airbox, riding without stopping can be 20 minutes, 30 minutes, or even longer. If stop lights are involved, the temps never recover. Cool dense air is what works best, unfortunately, a stock airbox can only deliver that at initial start up.

No doubt there are naysayers, simply consider though, how little air is consumed by the 1330 at partial throttle. The heat absorption, and heat soak amount exceeds the amount of cooling provided by the engine consuming air.

BRP / Can Am made the change in 2014 to move radiators forward and use a purpose designed powerplant. Unfortunately, those forward radiators now blast hot air all over the under body components, including the engine induction air components.