Spyder Garage

Default Differences in leg angle/seating positions.

Good morning. I am in the market for a spyder due to a recent knee injury. Ortho says no two wheels until fully recovered post surgery, but there’s just too much riding to do this summer. I’ve been shopping the used market, and I found many private parties selling older RTs, and one or two newer F3‘s kitted out for two up riding. My local dealer had a demo day, and I got to ride a new RT and F3, which was really nice. I like the adjustability of the F3 that allow me to keep my legs fairly straight, but the new RT was manageable. My question for the group is how does the riding position between the older 990 RT and the newer 1330 compare? The only reference I have for the first generation bikes was a 2008 roadster with pegs which set my knee at too steep of an angle to comfortably operate the brake. Are there any fixes to move the pedal further forward on a floorboard situation? I have seen a handbrake conversion, but that seems quite steep unless I get a truly amazing deal otherwise.
    Thanks all!

Spyder Garage

Did you check this out? Handbrake and floorboards already installed.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...eelchair-Rider

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos View Post
    Good morning. I am in the market for a spyder due to a recent knee injury. Ortho says no two wheels until fully recovered post surgery, but there’s just too much riding to do this summer. I’ve been shopping the used market, and I found many private parties selling older RTs, and one or two newer F3‘s kitted out for two up riding. My local dealer had a demo day, and I got to ride a new RT and F3, which was really nice. I like the adjustability of the F3 that allow me to keep my legs fairly straight, but the new RT was manageable. My question for the group is how does the riding position between the older 990 RT and the newer 1330 compare? The only reference I have for the first generation bikes was a 2008 roadster with pegs which set my knee at too steep of an angle to comfortably operate the brake. Are there any fixes to move the pedal further forward on a floorboard situation? I have seen a handbrake conversion, but that seems quite steep unless I get a truly amazing deal otherwise.
    Thanks all!
    There are effectively NO differences in leg angle between the 2010-2013 RT V-twin/998 powered Spyders and the 2014-2019 RT Triple/1330 powered Spyders. There are only relatively minor differences between the Gen I 2010-2012 RT's & the Gen II framed 2013-2019 RT's, but the 2013's were intended to get the 1330 motor, only it wasn't ready in time, so while they got all the frame & brake upgrades, the 2013's had the V-twin 998 motor stuffed back in the hole that'd been 'upgraded' to take the 1330 Triple. So as far as seating arrangements & knee angles go, the only differences between any 2010 to 2019 RT's is if they have foot plates vs foot pegs! The foot plates that were available on the up-spec models, particularly the Limited models (Ltd's) do give you scope for a more 'foot forward' position; and of course, regardless of them having pegs or foot plates, you can always buy/fit Highway pegs - Lamonster Garage do some pretty good units there!

The RT Gen III model change that came in 2020 DID give the RT's even longer foot plates and therefore even more of a range for foot forward seating. But of course, they only come with that admittedly torquey but lazy 1330 Triple motor & the SE6 transmission, and not the high revving and exciting to ride 998 V-twin with the 5 speed in SE or SM!

There is an image available showing the variations in seating positions between the GS/RS's, ST's; & Gen I & II RT's if you search the older threads; and IIRC, there's even one (shown here much less often tho!) comparing the F3's & their various U-fit positions to the same Gen I & II RT's. You should be able to find them (eventually!) if you search on 'seating position' & tick the 'Search Titles Only', box but maybe (if they even show up for you??) the following quote with a link & 4 attachments showing seating positions for the RT, F3, ST, & RS will work/help a little?

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    Cycle Ergo will give you a good idea of the different bikes and how you will fit. https://cycle-ergo.com You can input your height and inseam and can even add a passenger with their data as well.

Do remember the seating position on the RT's effectively remains the same from 2010 right thru until 2019, with the foot plates of the Ltd's & up-spec models over the base model's foot pegs being the only real difference.

Hope you find what you're after.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-19-2024 at 10:43 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with Peter ( above ) ..... when BRP came out with the F-3 model .... as far as seating positions goes that was a major change .... other than that all the other Spyders are basically the same .... adding floor-boards and or highway pegs came change the other Spyders .... so the options are there ... good luck ...Mike