Spyder Garage

Default What am I doing wrong for belt adjustment on 2013 RT?

Hi, attempted to tighten the belt today and did so until I came to adjust the alignment. I wanted to bring the belt inwards, but all that happens is the black end cap becomes loose and I can't get the adjustment necessary for alignment. I'm moving the right hand (as viewed from the rear) adjuster anti clockwise to try to bring the belt inwards; any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks, David.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

There is a world of things going on there and it is or should be a simple thing to do, but it isn't! When you loosen your shaft do not back it off finger loose, leave it a like on the snug side to give you some friction there so when you make an adjustment it will stay there. When the cap is loose like you say it is, you have to put your wrench over the axle nut and give it a tap with your hammer on the side that's loose to tighten the cap, this is where the axle needs to be a little snug, so it stays put when you tap it! Once you have a system down it will get easier, but you lesson will be painful. Hope I helped!! PM me if you want to talk.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mikey. Please send an email via my profile. David
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Please see Warning Sticky!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mikey, if you wouldn't mind elaborating I'd really appreciate it David
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Please see WARNING Sticky!,

Spyder Garage

Davos, you recently made a topic in regards to belt adjustment, with Spyder jacked and rear wheel spinning while engine idled.

Please clarify the process you are utilizing.

If setting tension and belt alignment / tracking while rear wheel is raised, BajaRon states this to be their preferred method on customer machines. He is likely your best reference source of adjusting via that method.

Myself, I accomplish a hybrid sort of method. Rear wheel raised to set belt tension to specs indicated in the service bulletin. Belt alignment as I accomplish it is done on ground.

Spyder Garage

Never attempt to make a belt adjustment by loosening the adjuster. You'll fail every time. Make all adjustments in the clockwise, tightening direction so that you get positive movement of the axle. If the belt is already too tight, loosen the adjuster beyond what you need, smack the rear tire with a soft blow hammer (or the ends of the axle) with something that won't cause damage to get the axle to move forward against the adjusters. Then achieve correct adjustment by tightening to the desired amount. I also recommend tightening the axle nut as much as possible while still allowing for movement with the adjusters. This way you won't lose your adjustment when you do the final tightening of the axle nut.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-16-2024 at 11:18 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Many thanks everyone, I'll try again today David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davos View Post
    Many thanks everyone, I'll try again today David
    It's a learning process. But if you hang in there, you'll get the hang of it and should get satisfying results.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

It is a learning process, and one of the things I learned is that the tightening process for me always results in the right-side adjustor cap being loose. I have found that for me, the best thing to do is run a ratcheting tie down strap around the rear wheel, then up front somewhere and ratchet it as tight as possible. I then tighten the axle nuts. Nothing moves.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2024 at 01:35 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Many thanks for all the help guys David

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help. I sort of got it right but don't know if the alignment side is correct as there is a large gap between the axle and the end of the the adjustment slot (right side, alignment), any thoughts David