Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone Added a large (7") Carplay Display screen to a Spyder RT?

I ride a 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S.

I have been using a ram-mounted Garmin GPS to plan our routes for our summer vacation rides. The GPS is old, and even with all updates installed it is not accurate, compared to Google maps or Waze, as I found out on my last trip.
    I have been looking at Carplay-capable display screens and thinking of adding one to the bike using the existing Ram mount. Has anyone added a display or iPad or something similar for navigation? I am thinking of linking from my phone to the display so I can use Google maps, Apple maps, or Waze at my discretion. Also, I am looking at the 7" screen, not the 5" - more for ease of viewing than anything else. Thanks!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2024 at 04:43 PM.

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know of a product from a company called Carpuride (Carpuride.com) that supposedly gives Apple Carplay and Android Auto to a vehicle not so equipped.

NOTE: Other than the existence of it, I know NOTHING of the product, this is NOT an endorsement.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2024 at 04:42 PM.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder3 View Post
    I ride a 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S.

I have been using a ram-mounted Garmin GPS to plan our routes for our summer vacation rides. The GPS is old, and even with all updates installed it is not accurate, compared to Google maps or Waze, as I found out on my last trip.
    I have been looking at Carplay-capable display screens and thinking of adding one to the bike using the existing Ram mount. Has anyone added a display or iPad or something similar for navigation? I am thinking of linking from my phone to the display so I can use Google maps, Apple maps, or Waze at my discretion. Also, I am looking at the 7" screen, not the 5" - more for ease of viewing than anything else. Thanks!
    I have the Carpuride W702 installed on a 2023 Spyder RT, so far, I am loving it. I did use the BRP app for about a month, but I prefer to use Waze or Google Maps, hence the purchase. To install it, I ordered the Bar Clamp with 1” ball from Lamonster Garage (link below for visual reference). And I am powering it via the USB port in the “glove box” which I have had no issues with. But I also do not have any other accessories or power draws on the electrical system, so your mileage may vary on this.

My setup has my iPhone connected to the Carpuride unit as well as my Cardo unit on the helmet. I can control maps, and music from the Carpuride screen. Because it is Apple Car Play, only certain applications will show up on the Carpuride screen (you probably know this but throwing it out there just in case). Also, I have not tried adding the handlebar controls into the mix yet, so I’m not sure if that will work. I have seen a post on Facebook where someone said they were able to.

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...all-lamonster/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2024 at 04:44 PM.
    ~ PJ ~
    2023 Spyder RT STD - Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

There's a recent youtube video about installing a Carpuride on a "8 year old" Spyder RT.

https://youtu.be/2bwMUJZXAt0?si=kFv7TnE_HPax-Nw-
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

I just recently purchased a Carpuride from a forum member but have not yet installed it. I just received the parts to add a dual USB port to where I have blank switch covers. Hoping to get that installed soon.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2024 at 04:39 PM.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I bought the 5" Carupride and have it mounted on the left side handlebar. I Bluetooth my phone to the display and use CarPlay. The Carupride is then Bluetooth-ed to the Spyder so directions and music come out the bike speakers. My phone is also Bluetooth-ed to my headset to take calls. I prefer this connectivity, others I know send all the sound to their helmets, but we don't always wear our modulars, sometimes we wear half helmets, so I like the sound out of the bike's speakers. I've had the unit glitch once or twice where I had to cycle it on/off to get it to connect, but overall, I am pleased with it. It is nice to have different map apps available.

(I plan on adding the center mount ram ball attachment when we stop at Lamonsters next month.)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2024 at 04:39 PM.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

For those that attached the Carpuride to their Spyder, does it receive its power source via the USB connector in the front dash stowage USB connector? Can it be Bluetooth connected to the bike or do you run it through your phone to use the bike's speakers?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2024 at 04:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    For those that attached the Carpuride to their Spyder, does it receive its power source via the USB connector in the front dash stowage USB connector? Can it be Bluetooth connected to the bike or do you run it through your phone to use the bike's speakers?
    I have mine powered from a switched wire under the seat. Phone gets bluetoothed to the Carupride, Carupride bluetooth to the bike. I "unpaired" my phone from the Spyder to prevent any confusion in the computer. Either the bike's or mine..........
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Have a W502 on order. Thought that the W702 would block seeing the bike's instrumentation more than what I would want, besides a 5" diagonal screen would be sufficient to see maps.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, that 7" might be a wee bit big, but if mounted to a Ram ball on the left handlebar with a long Ram clamp mount it could be adjusted out of the way... Def getting intrigued with having one of these Carpuride units, as ACP/AA isn't available on my 2024 S2S (still waiting and waiting and waiting ad nauseum).
    I can use my phone paired to my helmet and have Google maps send directions to the helmet, but I kinda like to see where I'm going on a map too... I also see a Carpuride unit with 2 cameras - that might be nice for recording rides and definitely for backing up into garages etc. I just don't know if that unit is fully IP67 for motorcycle use or how to mount the unit...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-03-2024 at 08:26 AM.
    2024 RT Sea to Sky screen now working but codes will remain until BRP releases the ACP update.
    2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green (guess what? NO errors at all in 9 months of owning!) Such a sweet S2S :-)

Spyder Garage

I'm going to take pics of the mods I did over the weekend. I installed the 7" Carupride, and with the ball mount, it fits good, and it doesn't interfere with my speedometer cluster.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-03-2024 at 10:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

looking forward to the pics.
    2024 RT Sea to Sky screen now working but codes will remain until BRP releases the ACP update.
    2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green (guess what? NO errors at all in 9 months of owning!) Such a sweet S2S :-)

Spyder Garage

Current Ride: 2015 RT Limited
    Previous Rides
    2015 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600
    2006 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600
    1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900 w/2003 ZRX1200 Stage 3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    looking forward to the pics.
    I'm going to try and post them tonight after I get my lawn done.

Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...89#post1707389

Not sure if this link posted correctly - but I did post a pic of the 7" carpuride installed on my RTL in a different thread.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Here's the pic of the Carpirude. Pardon the dirty bike. I had to replace the battery yesterday and haven't had a chance to wash her yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Quickdraw; 06-05-2024 at 05:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    Here's the pic of the Carpirude. Pardon the dirty bike. I had to replace the battery yesterday and haven't had a chance to wash her yet.

My Zumo XT2 was a close fit between the Helibars. Looks like your 7" Carpirude has to ride behind the bars.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by troop; 06-05-2024 at 05:28 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    My Zumo XT2 was a close fit between the Helibars. Looks like your 7" Carpirude has to ride behind the bars.
    It does fit between the bars, barely, but I didn't want it interfering with my key. It sat right over it. Also, with it being between the bars, it was a distraction when looking at my gauge cluster.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    It does fit between the bars, barely, but I didn't want it interfering with my key. It sat right over it. Also, with it being between the bars, it was a distraction when looking at my gauge cluster.
    OK - The picture is a bit misleading as I have direct sight line to the gauge cluster with the XT2 up/between the bars. But, I am also 6'3" and sit quite high in the RT seat
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-06-2024 at 06:19 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    OK - The picture is a bit misleading as I have direct sight line to the gauge cluster with the XT2 up/between the bars. But, I am also 6'3" and sit quite high in the RT seat
    I'm 5' 10" (yes that is average so stop laughing). I can see the cluster gauges, but the unit is distracting to me if I put it between the bars due to the ball mount and ball mount coupler I'm using. Might also be a little OCD thrown in there as well. When it stops raining, I'll try and get a better picture while sitting on the seat.

Spyder Garage

I went with the 5" display thinking that the 7" would be wee bit larger than needed. The 5" fits well on the ball mount right center in front and powered through the center usb connection.

Spyder Garage

just came back from my first test run with the Carpuride ACP. the ball mount attached to existing mount on bike and plugged into the bike's usb connection. BT my phone to the device. I BT the device to bike as a helmet audio. Used the map app to a fueling station and audio came through bike speakers. I was listening to XM while exercising this am up town on ear buds. when came out turned off earbuds and started bike which then sent audio through bike speakers. the ACP is better than my Garmin which I have used for years. Paid $181.00 direct from factory. feel this is a good setup. Yes easy to use and readily easy to see during daylight. Time will tell if it is better than before.

Spyder Garage

Glad you liked it and it was apparenlty easy to setup. I may just have to do this for my 2024 S2S that still doesn't have ACP or AA ..lol

After looking at Amazon and measuring on the bike, I am thinking I would want the 7" screenmounted on a longer 4" RAM clamp mount on a RAM ball stud on the left hand upper most handlebar bolt. Just need the longer Ram clamp mount. That way I can move the Carpuride over to the left to be out of the line of sight of the cluster. I would use the mini glove box USB to provide power....

As we get older, having bigger screens helps with tired old eyes. Just sayin'

So a question for all those with the Carpuride units - can you operate it with touchscreen enabled gloves? Was that easy or kinda not so much?

BTW, Amazon lists this W702 7" Carpuride unit as $249 plus $40 discount plus another $25 discount. With tax and shipping, $196 - YMMV
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-08-2024 at 04:07 AM.

Spyder Garage

Jester72, How to you have the carpuride audio setup on your bike to have map directions come through the bike speakers? Is the bike radio control set at bluetooth radio output or do you have it set on auxiliary output? having issues with mine.

Spyder Garage

Update on my Carpuride. It has the 7" screen, and it does not fit between the bars. I thought for sure it did, but nope. I still like where it is, though.

20240608_151325.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-08-2024 at 04:27 PM.