SPYDER TOUR
Day 4
I awakened in Kittery, Maine. Which was good. That’s where I went to sleep. For breakfast, I ate the cardboard-style waffle featured in most upscale motels. Swapped stories with a man from Park City, Utah. He is visiting all fifty states to see and identify fifty birds in each state. It may take a while.
Another sunny day with the temperature at 64 degrees started the ride. The temperature then dropped to the mid-fifties. I stopped, added a sweatshirt and rain pants to combat the cold wind created when traveling at 70 mph.
Before this ride, I had not ridden a motorcycle in Maryland, Delaware, New Hampshire, or Vermont. They’re now checked off on my Bucket List.
Vermont proved a treat. Well-paved roads topped hills that think they are mountains, swooped through verdant valleys, skirted bogs that undoubtedly harbored a moose or a moosette. Cattails in ditches looked like exclamation points. Pines fought for space with deciduous trees sporting fall’s rainbow colors. Rock-bottomed creeks and rivers flowed into pristine lakes.
Quaint towns, villages, and hamlets featured hundred-plus-year-old houses with front porch swings and Adirondack chairs. Interesting to me, I saw no dogs, horses, or cows. I saw one raven atop a lightning-struck tree.
I ended the day in Utica, New York.
Expenses:
Breakfast: $ 0.00 Motel fare, waffle
Lunch: $ 33.00 ( Keene, VT golf course clubhouse established in 1897.)
Dinner $ 33.67 (Delmonico’s Restaurant in Utica, NY)
Misc. $ 0.00
Gas: $ 47.75
Motel: $153.50 (Best Western)
Day’s Total: $267.92 Trip Total: $835.31
Today’s Miles: 283 Trip Total: 1,535