Spyder Garage

Default Does a brand-new bike burn oil during break in?

Brand new 2022 F3L delivered to me with 0.6 miles on it. Now I have 352 miles on it and, using BRP oil check procedures, am down about 1/2 - 3/4 of 1 qt. Owner's manual states to add 1 qt. of oil if below minimum on dipstick...I was just barely below the min mark. Is it typical for a brand new Spyder to be down some oil during the break in period? A person at the dealership who sold me bike says to take it in for diagnostics...really?
    I have previously owned 5 other 2-wheeled bikes in my life and had to often times add less than a qt. of oil between maintenance, especially for mountain riding.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2023 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

The 1330's are notorious for NOT burning any oil. It sounds to me that the dealer did the wrong oil level check when prepping the Spyder. It happens a lot. Re-check your oil (per the manual) top it off where it "should" be, and you should be good to go.

Make sure there are no oil leaks...that would indicate a problem.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GWHIZZ View Post
    Brand new 2022 F3L delivered to me with 0.6 miles on it. Now I have 352 miles on it and, using BRP oil check procedures, am down about 1/2 - 3/4 of 1 qt. Owner's manual states to add 1 qt. of oil if below minimum on dipstick...I was just barely below the min mark. Is it typical for a brand new Spyder to be down some oil during the break in period? A person at the dealership who sold me bike says to take it in for diagnostics...really?
    I have previously owned 5 other 2-wheeled bikes in my life and had to often times add less than a qt. of oil between maintenance, especially for mountain riding.
    According to everyone who owns a Spyder and my own experience, the 1330 engine DOES NOT BURN OIL- PERIOD ..... Are you Absolutely SURE you're checking it according to the owner's manual? The engine MUST be up to operating temp (at least 3 yellow boxes on the Temp gauge) .... stop your Spyder and let it idle for 30 to 60 seconds. ....shut off the engine & check the dip stick .... I usually keep it a bit over the LOW FILL line ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2023 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The 1330's are notorious for NOT burning any oil. It sounds to me that the dealer did the wrong oil level check when prepping the Spyder. It happens a lot. Re-check your oil (per the manual) top it off where it "should" be, and you should be good to go.

Make sure there are no oil leaks...that would indicate a problem.
    I agree with you, and I think same. I am going to top it off and see if it happens again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    According to everyone who owns a Spyder and my own experience, the 1330 engine DOES NOT BURN OIL- PERIOD ..... Are you Absolutely SURE you're checking it according to the owner's manual? The engine MUST be up to operating temp (at least 3 yellow boxes on the Temp gauge) .... stop your Spyder and let it idle for 30 to 60 seconds. ....shut off the engine & check the dip stick .... I usually keep it a bit over the LOW FILL line ..... good luck .... Mike

I am sure about the oil check procedure, as I have a 2018 that I still own, too. My dip showed oil just below minimum... owner's manual states to add 1 qt. The difference between min and max on the stick is 1 qt.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2023 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Absolutely follow the owner's manual! Your dipstick is about 9-10" shorter than the distance to the actual oil level; there has to be some tray, cup, upper reservoir, or something that retains oil for a while. If you wait, it will drain, and you will show below the "min" on the stick.

I screwed up once, and had to drains some, not the funnest thing to do!

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

clean oil is hard to read, use a paper towel, lay dip stick on it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2023 at 04:26 PM. Reason: us... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdave View Post
    Absolutely follow the owner's manual! Your dipstick is about 9-10" shorter than the distance to the actual oil level; there has to be some tray, cup, upper reservoir, or something that retains oil for a while. If you wait, it will drain, and you will show below the "min" on the stick.

I screwed up once, and had to drains some, not the funnest thing to do!
    I check the oil correctly. I own a 2018 and know how to do this, however, NEVER did I own a brand new bike.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2023 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I check the oil correctly. I own a 2018 and know how to do this, however, NEVER did I own a brand new bike.
    It's the same engine!!!!! ..... could the person who put yours together have screwed up the oil? ..... ABSOLUTELY! .... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2023 at 04:28 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It's the same engine!!!!! ..... could the person who put yours together have screwed up the oil? ..... ABSOLUTELY! .... good luck .... Mike
    what do you mean by screwed it up? I do believe they maybe shorted it a bit.

Spyder Garage

Always check your oil level after any oil service, including the 1st one. It is unfortunately common to get underfilled or overfilled service. I agree with the others here. If you are checking your oil level correctly (and it appears that you are), then it was underfilled by the dealership that prepped your machine. The 1330 does not burn oil, new or old. Fill and then check after a few hundred miles. I think you'll find it stays put. If you find it low again, you definitely have a problem that needs to be addressed.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

what do you mean by screwed it up? I do believe they maybe shorted it a bit.
    Not putting the correct amount of oil in the engine/trans. .... to me that's " screwing up " the job ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

If you don't have any leaks that you can see, just ride it now that you have got the oil level where you want it and keep a eye on it for a while! You will find that they didn't set your bike up the way they should have, but they didn't do any harm to your new child. Don't flip out and don't jump to conclusions that may not be true, besides you have a warranty with that ride and a spare in the barn! Get some miles on that thing you lucky dog!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Owned my 2019 F3-S since it was taken out of the crate and put together. Took it home on a trailer and double checked everything the dealer did to it. Adjusted all the fluid levels and checked all the fasteners. It has never used a drop of oil that is even measurable with the dipstick, in all the time I have had it. Didn't use any oil when it was new, and doesn't use any oil now. Everything is done according to the service manual, except for the oil changes, which are done every 5,000 miles, no matter what the manuals or Can Am says.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Owned my 2019 F3-S since it was taken out of the crate and put together. Took it home on a trailer and double checked everything the dealer did to it. Adjusted all the fluid levels and checked all the fasteners. It has never used a drop of oil that is even measurable with the dipstick, in all the time I have had it. Didn't use any oil when it was new, and doesn't use any oil now. Everything is done according to the service manual, except for the oil changes, which are done every 5,000 miles, no matter what the manuals or Can Am says.
    Not a bad idea if you are using BRP blended oil. It consistently shears down to 20w viscosity between 4,500 miles & 5,000 miles. I think this is why the original service interval for the Spyder was 4,500 miles. People complained about the 'Short' service mileage and magically, without changing the quality of the oil, the service interval went to 9,300 miles.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not a bad idea if you are using BRP blended oil. It consistently shears down to 20w viscosity between 4,500 miles & 5,000 miles. I think this is why the original service interval for the Spyder was 4,500 miles. People complained about the 'Short' service mileage and magically, without changing the quality of the oil, the service interval went to 9,300 miles.
    I don't use the BRP oil. I use Lucas full synthetic for motorcycles with wet clutches. I still change it every 5,000 miles just like I have done for many years on various brands and sizes of bikes.

I do believe the modern bikes are built to closer tolerances, and I believe the water cooled bikes could stand to go a little farther between changes than the old air cooled engines. I don't believe the factory Alchemists when they say you can go almost 10,000 miles on the same oil.
    Last edited by Gwolf; 07-12-2023 at 11:02 AM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver