Spyder Garage

Default Anyone else had problems updating CanAm/Garmin GPS Units?

I have a Garmin GPS for every vehicle I own, including an XT for my Harley. I use the Garmin Express program for all updates on them and have had no problems before. I bought this 2017 RT Limited used and it came with the Garmin Zumo 590LM installed and I assume it came as a package since BRP pops up on startup. I have used it a few times and it seemed to do OK, so I figured I'll just stick with it for now and maybe get another XT at a later date. Problem is, I can't get it to update on my Express program, it won't even recognize the unit! Has anyone else that's had one of these had this problem? Wondering if Garmin and BRP were in cahoots and maybe prevented them from being updated or provided a key to the original buyer? Not like there's been a lot of new roads built, so I'll not get lost, just wondering...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2023 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... Bloody spell checker! :-/

Spyder Garage

If computer will at least recognize device, then maybe express needs update check or the OS. Hopefully Garmin can help you more. Additionally maybe can attempt SD card, additional memory can help (&or- not sure if update will load to SD& transfer) good luck

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Did the PO remove his name from the registration with Garmin? Be sure to have him do that then you can put your name in there and see if that fixes your problem.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I've had issues at times updating my 590LM and it just seems random, I launch Express, it checks for updates, then prompts to plug in unit. I plug the unit in and wait and sometimes it's recognized, sometimes not, unplug/plug back in, change/check cable then if I'm lucky it appears happy and connects. Could be a Windows thing also detecting this USB device. Thank you Garmin, Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Like Uticat, I have had random issues with my Garmin 590 being recognized. I've also had a couple cables stop working with the 590, replacing it and then it worked fine.
    2023 Ryker Rally - Heritage White III
    Sport Windshield
    GPS Holder

Spyder Garage

The current version of Garmin Express on my Windows 11 computer is 7.16.3.0. I just started the program and it said I have an update for my 590. Plugged the device into the computer, ran the update and current version is now 3.30. Turned on 590, checked version, verified 3.30. I've never had a problem with my computers, Windows 7, 10, 11 recognizing either my Zumo 590 or Nuvi 2460. In all of my systems, Garmin Express takes longer to recognize than other software, like Sena Device manager. Garmin BaseCamp takes a little time to recognize the internal storage map version of my 590.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

To EVERYONE telling him to update Express.
    When you run the program the FIRST - VERY FIRST thing it does is UPDATE the program IF required!
    This is true both on WINDOWS and MAC!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I learned after much muttering and teeth gnashing that the cable is HUGELY important. I've got probably eight or ten USB cables lying around. ONE worked between PC and Garmin 590.

I don't have the cable that Garmin provided. A lot of pieces of original equipment didn't make it to me, the third owner.

Try buying or borrowing a good cable, one from a name brand maker, one that perhaps says "data" somewhere in its description and not merely "power." Or, if you have other electronic devices that use USB to transfer data, give that cable a try. (My medical device data/recharge cable did the job.)

Good luck.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (Front).

Spyder Garage

I too had an issue with my GPS and it being recognized. It is a 595 though. Turned out the cable I got with it and was using, was a power only cable NOT a data and power cable. Once I got a cable that would read/see the data, all is good.

Spyder Garage

I upgraded the Garmin 590 to be a 595: software update with a bit of kludging too. Looks like a 590. Functionally it's a 595. Not much difference between the two, though.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (Front).

Spyder Garage

My Garman XT would not connect to my computer either for updates. Luckily it can update via wi-fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What version of Windows are you using?

If its Windows 10/11
    1. Right click the Start Menu and choose Device Manager
    2. When it opens up click on the View menu and choose Show Hidden Devices
    3. When it finishes updating, click on the > symbol next to Portable Devices.
    4. Let me know if the Zumo 590LM or the model you are having difficulty with is in that list of devices. You should see the others you own there.
    5. Leave Device Manager Open

If it is there:
    1. Right click the Zumo 590 and choose update Driver
    2. Start Garmin Web Updater and wait 3 mins no less (this is one of timing in Windows)
    3. Connect the 590 and wait another 5 mins.
    4. Works OK - yes solved, No see next

If it didn't work and is in the list:
    1. Right click the Zumo 590 and choose [B]Uninstall Device[B/].
    2. Reboot your PC/Laptop
    3. After you log back on/in wait 5 mins for Windows to finish some activities it does in the background.
    4. Start Garmin Web Updater
    5. Allow it to sit for 2 mins then connect your 590 and wait another 5.

Let me know how you go and we can do some more based on the outcome.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White