Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I get a few local stations. But i dont brother. I just use my music on my phone with the bluetooth connection.it works good for me.
    2021 Limited , Brake pedal widened Glacial Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

Personally I never use the radio, nor do I listen to music through my phone or any other device. While I always have the radio on in any of my cars, I prefer the lack of distraction and focus on the riding when on a motorcycle including my 2021 RT. I used to listen to the music on my phone via the helmet speakers, but one time was enough of being so engaged in the tune that I almost missed a vehicle attempting to enter my lane from a side street on my riight. Since that day I just listen to the sound of the engine and the wind. Even with an intercom system, wind noise makes talking with my passenger wife a frustrating exercise, so recently I removed the Sena system from both of our helmets and I do not miss it at all.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    All you have to do is add streaming to your XM subscription (if it's not already included) and you can stream from your cell, pc, laptop, tablet, etc. I have an XM on my 2014 RTL and stream it to my cell and other devices so I have it in my car through my phone.
    Good work around as long as you are in range of cell signal, which depends on the provider and geography, and you have a data plan to cover it all.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsSewn View Post
    Might need to change the thread subject but I'm going to ask here anyway as few of you have mentioned you have 2014 RTL and listen to your iPod. I too have a 2014 & have been using Sena 50S. However, my husband got tired of all the problems with 50S and had factory CB installed. I had previously had CB installed as we both had GoldWings and took him awhile to get his Spyder.
    My question is: I want to flip back to using my CB but I listen to audiobooks more than music. I had tried connecting my older iPod to the back but feel like I'm missing something. Please, any suggestions? I'm due to go on a 2 week trip mid June and need to be able to listen to something. Thanks.
    Sandie
    Do you have a wired headset? That is necessary to listen to the audio from the radio. Or, there is a Bluetooth adapter to listen to the audio via BT headset, but you cannot use the CB then. Did you have the audio set to iPod? Aux is not the one for iPod use. Is your iPod a generation supported by the audio system? I don't remember which ones are and are not.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I use the radio all the time. The only significant deficiency I've encountered is FM signal strength has to be strong, and range is limited to 30 to 50 miles from the transmitter. I never listen to AM. NPR is my go to network. I have an NPR app that uses GPS to list the closest stations to my current location.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

FrogmanDave, on the other hand I sometimes do rides of 1000+ miles in a day, 1,700+ in a weekend, (Iron Butt Rides) and radio stations, even streaming doesn't even work all that distance, and the tunes keep me awake. So yes, there's still a need or use for Antique old Ipods / and or 120+GB's of MP3's loaded on my phone, which I've discovered works better than the IPod in my '18RTL. Here's my June 18th weekend trip plan, and I still agree with the OP, the factory radio is sad, so sad.
    2022 Smackdab.jpg
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    FrogmanDave, on the other hand I sometimes do rides of 1000+ miles in a day, 1,700+ in a weekend, (Iron Butt Rides) and radio stations, even streaming doesn't even work all that distance, and the tunes keep me awake. So yes, there's still a need or use for Antique old Ipods / and or 120+GB's of MP3's loaded on my phone, which I've discovered works better than the IPod in my '18RTL. Here's my June 18th weekend trip plan, and I still agree with the OP, the factory radio is sad, so sad.
    2022 Smackdab.jpg
    No offense meant Dave. I haven't seen a working iPod in a long time. That's all. Man I guess you do put on the miles. To me that's crazy! You are an animal! Ride safe.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Well, opinions are like.....never mind! Riding across WestTexas requires some kind of noise other than the engine and programming in radio stations along the route seemed like a good idea. Didn't work. Horrible reception is the gremlin. Now if I could just locate 'Joel the Biker's' posted solution, I might find a solution....search didn't work.
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

I put songs on a thumb drive plug it in the usb in the trunk plays real good.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 I use the radio, while I am on the bike. I turn up the volume so other people can hear me.

Sometimes I get static, on the radio. I don't use any other devices ( Ipod, cell phone, or apps on my phone, BT).

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    Well, opinions are like.....never mind! Riding across WestTexas requires some kind of noise other than the engine and programming in radio stations along the route seemed like a good idea. Didn't work. Horrible reception is the gremlin. Now if I could just locate 'Joel the Biker's' posted solution, I might find a solution....search didn't work.
    I just typed in " Joel the Biker " , He's there !!!! .......... look at the posts by other members , on the right side column ...He was about 15 names down from the top ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

XM app on iPhone and I have 2 years free Apple music for the last 4 years ( Shhh Don't tell them).

Spyder Garage

My old flip phone has an FM stereo radio built in. It don't stream from the web like many of them. It is an actual FM radio. It also has a slot that will take a 32 gig mini-sd chip.

Bluetooth the flip phone to the helmet speakers and don't need anything else.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

BRP radios are a POS! The whole infotainment set up is a POS! Outdated, way more complicated than it has to be. All of the major bike makers, think touring bikes, have more modern and easy to use set ups! More powerful amps, and speakers that put out great sound. I have used my phone with XM/Sirius Bluetoothed to the bike. Much better sound. Also use it for GPS. It works great! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    BRP radios are a POS! The whole infotainment set up is a POS! Outdated, way more complicated than it has to be. All of the major bike makers, think touring bikes, have more modern and easy to use set ups! More powerful amps, and speakers that put out great sound. I have used my phone with XM/Sirius Bluetoothed to the bike. Much better sound. Also use it for GPS. It works great! Tom
    mostly ..... 2010 to 2017 could be successfully dealt with..... ( only " Joel the Biker " has been successful with the post 2017 audio system ).... I put a Bosche retractable Auto antennae on my 14 RT and got great long and short distance reception. ....I swapped out all the speakers ( made the rear 5.25" ) and I can't play it at Max volume it hurts my ears .... And I am hearing challenged ( to many .357 rounds ) ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The engine and all the stimulus when riding is all I've ever needed IMHO.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In my humble opinion, when Can-Am designed the Spyder, they envisioned a world where Bluetooth would reign over the integration of technologies used on a bike. Consequently they didn't invest much in the AM/FM receiver or the speaker system for that matter.

That's fine with me, because I'd rather not pay for a high end system I'll never really use. I never listen to the radio any more at home or in the car. I never use the speakers because sound is so much better through the headset (plus I'm not annoying everyone in earshot).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Cardo unit w/JBL wurks fur me...
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Spyder Garage

Default Really?

Quote Originally Posted by helton61 View Post
    I put songs on a thumb drive plug it in the usb in the trunk plays real good.
    I put songs on a thumb drive, plugged it into the USB in the trunk and .....how do you get it to play even fairly good? The only options for 'source' are radio and 'aux' and aux wants me to configure my bluetooth! a little explanation please, even by PM.
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Reading these posts makes me glad thhat I did not succumb to all the hype of the 2020+. My ‘14 sound system is no better or worse than what I had on my “wings”. I’m sitting on a motorcycle for gosh sakes, not sitting in a concert hall, so the sound quality suffers. I use my oem speakers with my ipod plugged into the bike in the trunk connection and play the music that I WANT TO LISTEN TO. A bbetter system will still not be concert hall perfect, and you can rest assured pay A HELL OF A LOT MORE for that wee pleasure. I’m happy with what I HAVE!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Reading these posts makes me glad thhat I did not succumb to all the hype of the 2020+. My ‘14 sound system is no better or worse than what I had on my “wings”. I’m sitting on a motorcycle for gosh sakes, not sitting in a concert hall, so the sound quality suffers. I use my oem speakers with my ipod plugged into the bike in the trunk connection and play the music that I WANT TO LISTEN TO. A bbetter system will still not be concert hall perfect, and you can rest assured pay A HELL OF A LOT MORE for that wee pleasure. I’m happy with what I HAVE!
    BBB, for 10 thru 17 it was never about the " Radio " .... it was the speakers, I use 2 ohm JBL's and couldn't be happier .....Mike

Spyder Garage

My '21 RTL was very slightly improved by changing to a longer aftermarket antenna - maybe 10% improvement. Luckily, for local riding I have the choice of three contemporary Christian stations (my preference) to choose from. I also have an old cell phone with blank SIM and much of my collection on an SD card in the trunk plugged into the USB port there. It connects to the RTL via Bluetooth. A drawback on that is the USB in the trunk is only hot when the bike is on. I have to remember to take that phone out and put it on a charger if not riding for a week or more.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I just plugged it in and it plays didn't have any trouble.

Spyder Garage

I use my phone and the BT connection to my Spyder RTL. Using Spotify in offline mode, I can play all my tunes anywhere, via playlists that have been downloaded to the phone. No data connection is used. Excellent sound.
    Last edited by linguine; 04-10-2023 at 11:47 AM.
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    XM app on iPhone and I have 2 years free Apple music for the last 4 years ( Shhh Don't tell them).
    Same here.

I have Sirius XM on my phone and stream to my headset. I also stream Sirius XM in my truck via Android Auto. Beats having to pay extra for a Sirius XM vehicle package.
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE