Spyder Garage

Default Whining at 45 MPH - Anyone recall what causes this?

I'm sure I saw a thread on this once, but can't find it. The sprocket recall was done recently and since then there has been a whining sound around 45 MPH. Nothing before that and it goes away once I'm going faster than that. Anyone recall what causes this? Thanks
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I get some of the same thing on mine. In fact, I've had it before on the original sprocket after a belt adjustment had been made. At one time it squealed like a banshee until it was readjusted. I think its the belt rubbing the front sprocket that causes it; seems to me adjustment is a sensitive thing. Some folks have the knack and do it themselves; I tried but never got it right.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjr00 View Post
    I'm sure I saw a thread on this once, but can't find it. The sprocket recall was done recently and since then there has been a whining sound around 45 MPH. Nothing before that and it goes away once I'm going faster than that. Anyone recall what causes this? Thanks
    Having that issue with my 2020RT, I can give one case opinion and results: I took my RT to a dealer complaining of a "really loud whine between 47-52mph". The service manager rode it and said "that really IS a loud whine!", and they replaced the front sprocket and bolt under warranty (my Spyder was over the 2 years, and about 9000 miles at that time). Result: I still have the whine, but not so loud, and it's tolerable.......
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

I would have to ask, which recall sprocket did they put on, the latest and greatest, the white one, and how is your belt alignment look?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

There was a period just a couple of years back when quite a few owners of newer Spyders complained of this whine, and eventually BRP issued the ceramic coated White Front Sprocket as a 'fix' (altho it was really only a 'minimisation' ) but then it got swamped in all the Sprocket Failure discussion and the back & forth about the 'Interim Fix' requiring testing, moly-paste & re-torquing of the Front Sprocket before the end result was known & eventually what needed to happen when decided that the Front Sprocket Failure Recall ended up needing the Silver Sprocket with Washer & new bolt for it's 'Final Fix'

And IIRC, there was a much earlier TSB referring dealers to address complaints about similar whining noises at a given speed by putting a pea-sized dab of BRP's XPS Grease (or a belt compatible silicone grease) on the rear pulley for the belt to pick up & distribute fully thru operation; but that was back almost 10 years ago now, and I think it was for all Spyder models prior to about 2014-15....

Seeing as how your Spyder's recently had the Silver Sprocket & Washer etc fitted, maybe that 'undid' whatever had been done earlier to reduce the whine that needed the White Sprocket to remedy - or maybe the issue that needed the White Sprocket fix wasn't even considered when the fix involving the Silver Sprocket was developed....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2023 at 08:36 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I got the latest and greatest and the belt looks the same as before the sprocket replacement. Puzzling...
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I would have to ask, which recall sprocket did they put on, the latest and greatest, the white one, and how is your belt alignment look?
    They did NOT install the white pulley, and the belt alignment is within specs (a playing card thickness from inside flange). My RT is a 2020.... Isn't the white pulley for the "red rust of death" issue?
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xwingnut View Post
    They did NOT install the white pulley, and the belt alignment is within specs (a playing card thickness from inside flange). My RT is a 2020.... Isn't the white pulley for the "red rust of death" issue?
    Nope! The WHITE pulley came out earlier, and it's for the 'whining at 45mph' issue; the 'latest and greatest' is the only more recently available SILVER pulley with washer & Locktite, which is for the 'red dust of death' issue!

Ya really gotta keep up with these things, they're changing pretty quick!

I got the latest and greatest and the belt looks the same as before the sprocket replacement. Puzzling...
    Why would the belt be any different??

AFAIK they don't change the belt under the sprocket recall, and they shouldn't really need to do anything at all to the belt apart from walking it off the rear pulley to give them enough slack/room to replace the front sprocket; then walk it back onto the rear pulley without changing anything in the way of alignment OR tension?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-04-2023 at 05:33 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I had a 2020 RTL and it had a noticeable whine at those speeds but with the engine panels, was tolerable. Now, have a 2022 F3L Special and the whine noise is really loud with the exposed engine area. The bike did come with the white front sprocket in front. I just stay outside those speeds that bring out the annoying whine.

Spyder Garage

I used to get this annoying whining sound coming from the rear, then I left the wife at home. All good now. Until I get home then it starts again...
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Spyder Garage

My guess is the belt tension has changed a bit (less) and it why it has lessened some... Might wanna try an even lower tension setting as a lot of folks have reported that it has stopped their "noise" and "vibrations"... I have lowered it on my '15 F3S due to vibs and it also now no longer makes a minor squeaking/rubbing noise when I wheel it in and out of the garage pre-post ryde....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 F3L, had the sprocket recall done about month ago and started noticing the rub/whine noise at low speeds. Just got back from having it adjusted, the belt was barely rubbing on the new pulley. However, when I rode it back down the mountain, I live on 181 in Morganton,NC…great motorcycle road…I noticed the high pitch whining again, even with my full face helmet on. The rub is gone but the whining is worst! I have the new silver pulley “fix”. I didn’t have any whine or rub with the old sprocket.
    Last edited by spyderwoman; 05-05-2023 at 01:47 PM.