Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

6 degrees this morning when I rode to work. My chin has been getting cold so I wrapped a scarf around my face, but the wind got it so I was riding along one handed trying to wrap myself back up- got it pretty good and fogged up my faceshield - I was warm enough but couldn't see where I was going.
    6 degrees and 60 mph got my knees a little cold too. Maybe it's time for overpants of some sort.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgwoods View Post
    6 degrees this morning when I rode to work. My chin has been getting cold so I wrapped a scarf around my face, but the wind got it so I was riding along one handed trying to wrap myself back up- got it pretty good and fogged up my faceshield - I was warm enough but couldn't see where I was going.
    6 degrees and 60 mph got my knees a little cold too. Maybe it's time for overpants of some sort.
    I just bought a polar balaclava. That thing is thin and fits under the helmet easily, but nice and warm. As preventative measure I also wear a neck tube. Then layer my old AF green "chinaman's underwear" *hope that doesn't offend anyone, it's what we called it* under my leathers, then put my rain gear on the outside to cut the wind. Gerbing gloves are the ! Plan to add the Gerbing jacket liner in the future. Have to see how the taxes work out and how much the company bonus is.

Lowest I rode in was 12F indicated on the bike. Thermometer on the house agreed with the bike.

Spyder Garage

I have never ridden in really cold weather so I appreciate some of the things I am reading here. The polar balaclava is a great idea since only my neck seems to catch a bit of a chill.

Has anyone had great success with all those heated gloves, pants, and vests?
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You cold weather ryders are actually helping me get my courage up as well. If the rain stops today I may need to take the Spyder out for a spin as well. It is only 43 here now, but that seems like summer compared to those of you up north.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Age, or wisdom? I have found that as time goes on I have less to prove in the Macho life. I have many times seen riders in T-shirts when I have a couple of layers on. But that's ok, I am riding s well as they are. So enjoy it, whatever way you can.
    The kids in my mobile home park are waiting for the bus in their shorts and t-shirts when its in the 30's outside as I go to work ????!!!!

I'm bundled up with my Homer Simpson PJ bottoms under my levis, 4 layers of t-shirts and a coat with insulated gloves plus I have natural insulation under my clothes if you know what I mean.

I'm glad I don't live in Canada, eh.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Default BRR

I am not necessarily a fair weather rider, but gee.....I was very chilly lots of times during the summer while riding in the east. Just thinking of having to peel off all the layers I've been reading about is daunting. At times I do shake my head and wonder what in the world we are doing riding when the cold wind goes right through my clothes. Then all the stuff you have to take off to get to the bathroom or a restaurant; you take up half a table with all the gear, LOL. We do have a car for such times when I feel like we don't have to prove anything to ourselves.
    Merry Christmas to all of you out there from very windy but mostly sunny Jacumba, CA.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I live where it is cold. I like the cold. I don't like being hot. Riding down to about 20f is fairly pleasant for me. Below that I am finding it a challenge, but certainly doable.

Yes I have heated gear. Folks in hot climates often have ventilated gear- its all specialized- just for different things.

I think the ideal riding temp is either the 50s or 60s. In the 70s I am fine as well but once it gets above 80 I am hot if I slow down, and the 90s- get me in the shade or in a pool, that's too hot to ride.

It's a good thing we all like different varieties of weather or we would all be trying to live in the same place.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    I have never ridden in really cold weather so I appreciate some of the things I am reading here. The polar balaclava is a great idea since only my neck seems to catch a bit of a chill.

Has anyone had great success with all those heated gloves, pants, and vests?
    The Spyder really blocks the wind well for the legs so I get by with a Gerbings heated jacket and gloves. The jacket is key. Mine fits my neck exactly right, hugs right to me and keeps me toasty warm. i can be riding at 12 degrees and my torso feels as warm as being home in the living room. I find that trying to use the same regulator for jacket and gloves is not working as the jacket is warm while the gloves a cool so I ordered a dual regulator set up so I can adjust the glove heat separately.

Once I get my hands happy my next challenge will be helmet shield fogging. I ordered some anti fog wipes to try , but I really need a new helmet. I have to ride with it cracked open fairly far and my face is getting cold at 70mph- don't ask me the windchill(!)

Once I get that stuff worked out I think I wlll be able to ride comfortably down to near zero, but it will still be a challenge getting everything on just right- certainly it is not like the convenience of a summer day, but I take all of the prep as part of the pleasure of choosing to ride on 2-3 wheels. Sure you can get away in a car faster but then you are stuck in a cage. I take a little more time and I am out in the world as I ride along. I like it!

These last few cold days as I have been in coffee shops and the like strangers walk up to me and shake my hand and say things like "Awesome Dude!" because they know their bike is home in the garage under wraps and I am still out.

Spyder Garage

jgwoods. Good story.

I just ordered a complete set of warming Underarmor. Including another balaclava.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Gerbings..... feel like you're riding in a clothes dryer on high heat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

11 degrees is pretty damn cold with just those few layers. I have the gerbing gloves, insoles, pants, and jacket heated and it is starting to get chilly for me at 24 degrees this past week riding 25 miles in the morning to work.

Of course it takes an hour to go that far around here.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jsmiley View Post
    11 degrees is pretty damn cold with just those few layers. I have the gerbing gloves, insoles, pants, and jacket heated and it is starting to get chilly for me at 24 degrees this past week riding 25 miles in the morning to work.

Of course it takes an hour to go that far around here.

I have an 8 mile commute so I get by with less of the heated gear. My usual day is an 8 mile ride to work, then 2 hours later a 10 mile ride to our other facilities, later 10 miles back, then 8 miles home again. I'm never out very long and total less than 40 miles a day.

There's another survey going on here about being comfortable with the SPyder as your only vehicle- I wouldn't be. I use my wifes car when the weather is awful but as a practical matter I ride the Spyder any time I can. Every time I go in and out I have to doff and don all the gear so I only wear what I have to to make it possible.