Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question HCM filter - does it really need replacement?

Has anybody changed the HCM Filter and found it contaminated……needing replacement? The filter is $129+ ….kinda costly!
    (The HCM filter protects the trans in case of engine failure)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2023 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Bajaron has best deal. If you want to run it past 28K that's your business or risk, whatever you decide.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

It’s necessary! That’s your transmission filter. Your motor oil serves both the transmission and your engine. You’ll pay $27.95 for BOTH the oil and transmission filters from Bajaron. And you’ll get a new o-ring for each, plus a new copper crush washer for both the oil tank and engine.
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh Danny Boy, Oh Danny Boy, The 1330's are different, the HCM filter is internal an costs much more.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Has anybody changed the HCM Filter and found it contaminated……needing replacement? The filter is $129+ ….kindda costly.
    I'm kinda Frugal , so I changed mine at 35,000 and now at 75,000 mi I going to change it again ..... I'm 75 and have don'\t ride as much as I used to, so this will likely be my last change..... PS my trans works as it always did .... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I first changed my filter I replaced it with Ron's filter. The new filter and the one I removed from the spyder were identical. I examined the filter I removed with a magnifying glass and could not find any difference between it and the new one. Well, the color of the one I removed was different because of the engine oil it had on it. I could be wrong here but the filter appears to be a safety device keeping large metal debris from entering the engine from the transmission compartment. In other words, a chunk catcher. I intend on checking the filter closely again and if nothing is in it and it's not damaged in any way, then it's going back on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    When I first changed my filter I replaced it with Ron's filter. The new filter and the one I removed from the spyder were identical. I examined the filter I removed with a magnifying glass and could not find any difference between it and the new one. Well, the color of the one I removed was different because of the engine oil it had on it. I could be wrong here but the filter appears to be a safety device keeping large metal debris from entering the engine from the transmission compartment. In other words, a chunk catcher. I intend on checking the filter closely again and if nothing is in it and it's not damaged in any way, then it's going back on.
    At the present time I'm thinking the same way! At best I think to clean it and put back in if it doesn't show any damage, but I've been wrong on occasion.(so I've been TOLD! Bill
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    At the present time I'm thinking the same way! At best I think to clean it and put back in if it doesn't show any damage, but I've been wrong on occasion.(so I've been TOLD! Bill
    Been there myself. Just stand by, I'm sure we'll be tagged on this one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Talking It's not a $100 oil strainer

From the service manual:
    Double layer suction filter:
    1st layer: Fibre glass fleece (10 microns)
    2nd layer: metallic screen (50 microns)
    There are also three oil strainers [sieves] in the oil sump cover.

The SE6 HCM is much like a 80s-90s electronically controlled automatic transmission in that it has its own oil pumps (two) and tight tolerance solenoid valves (four) operating spool valves. There are two big differences:

(1) like most motorcycles, the HCM is lubricated with shared engine and transmission oil rather than specialized long-life transmission fluid.

(2) like most motorcycles, the clutch plate wear material (nine friction plates) is shed into that engine and transmission oil (the bands for planetary gears are less prone to this).

I have a 90K 2014 (3rd owner) which spent much of its life towing a trailer so I've looked at the cost of replacing the HCM. About $500 if you do it yourself and already have the tools.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Default HCM Filter

I did my HCM at 26000 when I was changing the oil. Just out of curiosity, I pried it apart to see what was in it. Not a lot, but it certainly does catch some machining bits, etc. Here’s a couple of photos. Definitely worth changing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    From the service manual:

There are also three oil strainers [sieves] in the oil sump cover.

The SE6 HCM is much like a 80s-90s electronically controlled automatic transmission in that it has its own oil pumps (two) and tight tolerance solenoid valves (four) operating spool valves. There are two big differences:

(1) like most motorcycles, the HCM is lubricated with shared engine and transmission oil rather than specialized long-life transmission fluid.

(2) like most motorcycles, the clutch plate wear material (nine friction plates) is shed into that engine and transmission oil (the bands for planetary gears are less prone to this).

I have a 90K 2014 (3rd owner) which spent much of its life towing a trailer so I've looked at the cost of replacing the HCM. About $500 if you do it yourself and already have the tools.
    Bert, So you are saying to change the HCM filter as suggested at the proper intervals? Or, do a thorough cleaning and put it back in if it doesn't show damage? We are listening to one that has better knowledge of this! TIA Bill

Spyder Garage

Most of the 1330 HCM's we've changed look good as new. Very little, if anything, in them. We've had 2, I believe, that had enough to warrant changing. The thing is. If you can't document changing at the prescribed, 28K interval. BRP has valid grounds do deny a warranty claim for any issue impacted by the HCM filter system. I'm not saying this is kosher if the filter is clean. And I don't attempt to fear monger about warranty. Personally, warranty issues are not a big part of my private concern process. However, I know there are those who are very concerned about protecting themselves in this area. So I offer the facts to be applied as needed.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Toys are Expensive

Quote Originally Posted by JSRT View Post
    I did my HCM at 26000 when I was changing the oil. Just out of curiosity, I pried it apart to see what was in it. Not a lot, but it certainly does catch some machining bits, etc. Here’s a couple of photos. Definitely worth changing.
    Remember that the HCM filter has a very Big job to do. As seen from the post above, Some people make the wrong choices. I have always stated that if you don't have the money to maintain your TOY ......Best Not Get the Toy. Enjoy Your Day. .......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-16-2023 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many won't see post titles, only Thread Titles! ;-)
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Thank you…..kindda what I was looking for.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do you have any idea why there are so many holes / tears in the fabric ..???? .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow that doesn't look good at all. What did the magnet on your drain plug look like? After seeing that did you tear apart your main oil filter to see what was in it?

Spyder Garage

The tears are from prying it apart. It didn’t come apart easily. The first couple oil changes had very minor bits on the magnet - as many do. Nothing on more recent oil changes.
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

If you're inclined to skip or stretch out the HCM filter replacement I wouldn't do it at the first interval. There are going to be contaminants from assembly and initial break in that the original filter will catch as JSRT's pictures show.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

The debris in the HCM filter depicted in JSRT's public service photos is from the engine and transmission captured by the 50 micron brass screen. That screen and the 10 micron fleece stand between the engine oil sump and the HCM itself, the first component of which being the oil pumps. If that debris had reached the tight tolerance solenoids, you would be replacing the HCM.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    If you're inclined to skip or stretch out the HCM filter replacement I wouldn't do it at the first interval. There are going to be contaminants from assembly and initial break in that the original filter will catch as JSRT's pictures show.
    After reading about the HCM filter; JSRT's pictures, Bensonoid's intel, and Bert Remington's mechanical input. I've come to the conclusion that I will be replacing the filter on the first interval as it comes due in another 8K miles. At about a 1/2 cent a mile it is good insurance to "Ride More, Worry Less". Thanks all, Bill