Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Thank you. I believe that is why some folks are able to claim success running off a sae lead designed for a battery maintainer.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I was trying to answer the OP's perfectly reasonable question, not start a debate.
    internet forum utahpete.... i'm glad i did not ask what's better 9mm or .45 because we all know 10mm rules.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    internet forum utahpete.... i'm glad i did not ask what's better 9mm or .45 because we all know 10mm rules.
    Just as long as you don't mind being kicked by a mule every time you fire the thing
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post

This is my experience and understanding of the difference.

I'm not saying I'm right. So, if there's something wrong with my observation or conclusion, I am open to having that pointed out to me.
    OK, I'll take a stab at it. The problem, as I see it, with your illustration is you show the battery as a load when connected to a charger. The battery is never a load in the usual sense of the word. An electrical load is a device or circuit that freely allows current to flow through it from the positive side to the negative side of the source, irrespective of the source voltage. (An exception is when there is a current blocking component that only allows current to flow when the voltage is greater than the blocking threshold.) When a battery is connected to a charging source, be it a charger or another battery, current is forced to travel through the battery only if the source + voltage is higher than the battery + voltage. Therefore the battery is not a load in the usual sense. It is also very unlikely the charger's pigtail + terminal will ever accidentally contact the negative terminal. Charger cables with alligator clips are a whole 'nuther safe handling issue!

When it comes to pigtails with SAE connectors being attached to the battery for any reason, be they permanently connected or temporarily connected by alligator clips, safety precautions are paramount. You don't want an exposed terminal connected to the + terminal of the battery as you illustrate. If it were to contact any part of the vehicle that is grounded you would have instant sparking and fireworks, and maybe even a fire! That is why all charger/maintainer pigtails connected to the battery have the + terminal as the recessed terminal. Every charger/maintainer that has an SAE connector has the exposed terminal be the positive terminal since in order for it to work the charger + terminal must be connected to the battery + terminal.

Any cable for a load connected to vehicle power using an SAE connector, such as a trailer pigtail, always has the positive terminals exposed and the negative terminal recessed. It has to be that way because all the + terminals on the vehicle side need to be recessed to protect them from accidental grounding. The ground terminal on the vehicle side is exposed since it poses no risk if it contacts a grounded vehicle part.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

A picture is worth a thousand words. Battery tender SAE connectors are clearly marked + or -.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mac, your reasoning makes perfect sense and Bensonoids' photo confirms it. Thanks fellas.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    A picture is worth a thousand words. Battery tender SAE connectors are clearly marked + or -.
    There's always a fly in the ointment! My Battery Tender brand has the + & -markings as you show. My Diehard charger/maintainer has no markings but the lead going to the exposed terminal has a white stripe indicating it's the positive lead. Also, my NAPA charger/maintainer has a white stripe lead going to the exposed terminal and no + & - markings.

I think it's safe to say the exposed terminal on an SAE connector on the factory installed pigtail on a charger is always the + terminal. I think it's also safe to say every pigtail that connects to vehicle power with alligator clips or a cigarette lighter style plug, or is correctly and permanently connected to the battery or other vehicle harness connection, will have the recessed terminal be the + terminal. We can also be assured that every accessory intended to be connected to vehicle power via an SAE connector will have the exposed terminal be the + terminal. When using alligator clip connections always connect the red clip to the positive terminal of the battery. The + connection on any accessory always connects to a +12 volt source on the vehicle.

Now, I think we (I) have enough. Hopefully it has been helpful to at least one or two members!
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 10-31-2022 at 10:28 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I carry a Ryobi 18v Compressor on the bike with a 6ah battery. Has worked flawlessly for 2 years
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION