Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RTS Steering Column U Joints - big job to Replace?

It appears there is an upper and lower U Joint on the steering column. Based on previous comments about the play in my steering this might be a likely candidate that is causing the problem

How big of a job is it to replace these U joints. Are there any special considerations and special tools required.

Willie
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-04-2022 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BajaRon just did this for an earlier model (I believe 2013). The upper body work needs to be lifted and you will probably need BUDS to realign the VSS afterwards.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wait until the winter when your bike will be in winter hibernation so you don't to worry about how much time it takes. I haven't done but I read through the service manual because mine were changed out by the dealer. I'd say it's a piece of cake, albeit a large dry hard piece! The frunk needs to come off as well as the upper tupperware. The handlebar probably has to come off also, plus you'll have to disconnect the column from the DPS. The two U-joints and the intermediate shaft are a single assembly.

I'm not at home and don't have a copy of my service manual on my laptop.

Don't even think about starting to do it until you have the service manual if you don't already.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Shawn Smoak has a video of doing one. I remember watching it.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you checked the set screws on the U Joint?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2022 at 06:49 AM. Reason: check ed ?? ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fjrwillie -- your question is concerning because it implies you intend to make the adjustments and/or repair yourself.

The reason that is concerning is in another post you state your Spyder has 86,000 miles and yet you don't know if it has a swaybar. If that is a question you needed this community to answer, I doubt you have the skills needed to safely adjust and repair your steering mechanism. For your own safety I recommend service by a qualifier dealer with the BUDS equipment. And Yes it will be expensive due to labor hours needed to access the mechanism.

Spyder Garage

Highlight below. What do you need the BUDS system for to do this replacement. Once you have access to the steering mechanism, you imply it is not a simple unbolt and replace job.

Willie
    Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Fjrwillie -- your question is concerning because it implies you intend to make the adjustments and/or repair yourself.

The reason that is concerning is in another post you state your Spyder has 86,000 miles and yet you don't know if it has a swaybar. If that is a question you needed this community to answer, I doubt you have the skills needed to safely adjust and repair your steering mechanism. For your own safety I recommend service by a qualifier dealer with the BUDS equipment. And Yes it will be expensive due to labor hours needed to access the mechanism.
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is correct -- it is not a simple unbolt and replace job.

The DPS incorporates a sensitive torque sensor to determine steering angle/rate demand. BUDS is needed to realign this sensor to the Spyder chassis after a wheel alignment has been completed.

At 90K my Spyder steering is getting a bit sloppy so I've been studying my service manual to understand the mechanism and the effort needed to replace/repair it. I've previously removed the frunk (front shocks) and upper bodywork (spark plugs) so I have an appreciation of the effort required. If you haven't studied your service manual yet, this is a good time to begin.

Best wishes.

Spyder Garage

In line with what Bert said, the Steering Angle Sensor needs be zeroed to straight ahead travel of the bike. The SAS and Torque Sensor work together to determine how much steering assist the DPS provides during cornering. If the SAS isn't zeroed to straight ahead travel it will cause the DPS to not provide proper assist, i.e., differing amounts of assist for the same degree of turning effort left vs. right.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 09-06-2022 at 11:25 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Have you checked the set screws on the U Joint?
    The U-joints don't have set screws per se. There is a bolt that tightens the yoke (the female sleeve part that goes over the male spline end of the shaft) to the steering shaft by compressing it.

2014 Copper RTS