Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT won't idle and is sluggish in lower gears

I've had my 2014 Spyder RT (SE6) for a about a year and a half. The previous owner bought it new but didn't take exceptional care of it. It's never idled well since day one but it seems to be getting worse. Plus now experiencing slight sluggishness/hesitation on acceleration in lower gears. I've put about 1,200 miles on it since I bought it. Run multiple tanks of premium gas through it as well as several cans of sea foam and injector cleaner. Bike only has about 5,700 miles on it. Could it still be a fuel issue? Plugs? Vacuum leaks? What else should I be looking for? TIA

Spyder Garage

You don't say where in NC you live or how many total miles are on the Spyder, but if you can get it to Honda Can-Am of Winston-Salem so Steve Lewis can pull an Oral Roberts on it that should do the trick.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks JayBros. Winston's about 2-2.5 hours. I'm ~45min southeast of Raleigh out in the sticks. May have to get her up there. Dealer nearby is VERY pricey compared to others I've used. I'm pretty handy so was hoping for suggestions of what to look for.
    2014 Spyder RT-S (SE6) Black/Silver
    Front Tires: Hankook Ventus V4 ES 175-55R15
    Rear Tire: Kumho ECSTA AST 225/50R15
    Custom upholstered seat - silver(ostrich)/black
    TackForm Phone Mount

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Plugs are almost new (5700 miles). Vacuum leak, very possible. Also fuel filter or system. No guessing how or what past owner fueled his spyder with. Could have used a rusty dirty old jeep gas can. An early 14 RT has a reputation for being a good machine.

Spyder Garage

Hi skeggs50. If the dealer you are referring to is Iron Horse Motorcycles in Monroe NC, stay away from them. They are the worst dealer I have ever encountered. They are dishonest and expensive. I am a retired new car dealer and they are an embarrassment to the industry.
    Hope you sort out the issue with your trike. Did you add the amount of Seafoam that is recommended for the gallons of fuel? I added 4 cans for a running problem on a Goldwing and it cleared it up. I had tried a single can per tankful three times before doing the 4 cans and didn’t work.
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Check the air filter. If you haven't already.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First thing I'd do is check the intake air system for a restriction...Like a mouse nest...Next I'd remove the purge valve from the air cleaner box...If this valve is stuck open that's a direct vacuum leak...And its flooding the air box with gas fumes...The electric pump in the tank acts like a egg beater causing the fumes to be sucked and vented thru the air box...There is NO codes for the purge valve...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree 100% with the above 2 posts. Check the airbox first. My 14 was full of rodent food.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Got a new fuel filter recently. Haven't taken the time to install, but I will do so very soon. Thanks 2Dogs!
    TackForm Phone Mount

Spyder Garage

No, the dealer I a referring to is Brewer Cycles up near Henderson, NC. They are about an hour and a half from me, but worth the drive. The installed my new rear tire last summer for $150. Local dealer wanted about $450!

Perhaps I need to try more seafoam in addition to the other suggestions here. I think I used maybe half a can with each fill-up.
    TackForm Phone Mount

Spyder Garage

Had not even occurred to me to check the air filter. Installed a new one last summer, but have not checked it this year. Will do that and also check the purge valve! Thanks Larryd!
    TackForm Phone Mount