Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake fluid flush cost - yikes! Does this sound right?

Just dropped off F3 Ltd - needs brakes all the way around. Said they will check brake fluid, if it needs to be flushed the cost is about $425.00 because of the ABS. That was a jaw dropper. Anyone else had this done? Does it sound right? Just hit 15000 miles - and yea I drive it on the hard side. Why you ask, well cause I/we can and it's fun! Please, no haters. Just wondering does this sound right?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2022 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Break (shatter, broken) - brake (slow down, stop) Bloody auto-correct! %-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mstella101 View Post
    Just dropped off F3 Ltd - needs brakes all the way around. Said they will check brake fluid, if it needs to be flushed the cost is about $425.00 because of the ABS. That was a jaw dropper. Anyone else had this done? Does it sound right? Just hit 15000 miles - and yea I drive it on the hard side. Why you ask, well cause I/we can and it's fun! Please, no haters. Just wondering does this sound right?
    Need more details. What's included in the $425? What year Spyder? How many miles? How do you know you 'need brakes all around'?

Pads are about $35 / set x 3 = $105
    Brake fluid maybe $10

So, $310 for labor? It shouldn't be more than an hour in a professional shop.

ABS is not relevant.

YOU'RE GETTING RIPPED OFF!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2022 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The " ABS " charge is BS ..... also the price is BS. ..... changing Brake fluid is NOT rocket science ( even without speed bleeders ) ..... not changing the fluid in the ABS isn't an issue .... THERE ISN'T THAT MUCH IN THERE ..... I'VE DONE A FEW AND NEVER DID THE ABS .... Brakes worked great ..... good luck .... Mike ..... PS.. how many miles on the Pads now?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2022 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Default Brakes

Just performed a fluid flush, DOT 5.1, took about an hour with spousal units assistance. $18 for fluid, $13 bottle of wine and the rest is history
    Pads were good, got new ones from Summit Racing for the future, $80ish
    Last edited by Jane1330; 08-19-2022 at 05:41 PM. Reason: oops
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just checked. When I had the brake system flushed and refilled at a dealer in 2019, it was 1 hour charge $76 and 1 qt. brake fluid (DOT 4.0) $5.99.

Find another dealer!!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jane1330 View Post
    Just performed a fluid flush, DOT 5.1, took about an hour with spousal units assistance. $18 for fluid, $13 bottle of wine and the rest is history
    Jane, please check your owners manual. My 21 RTL requires DOT 4.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello Jane1330 Your brake system had DOT 4.0 brake fluid in it. You would need to flush your system many times with a buds unit to change the type of fluid you use. DOT 5.1 cannot mix with 4.0. and not very good for ABS. You cannot flush all the DOT 4.0 fluid out of the ABS system without a buds unit. See this article https://brakefluidstore.com/differen...t-4-and-dot-5/
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The " ABS " charge is BS ..... also the price is BS. ..... changing Brake fluid is NOT rocket science ( even without speed bleeders ) ..... not changing the fluid in the ABS isn't an issue .... THERE ISN'T THAT MUCH IN THERE ..... I'VE DONE A FEW AND NEVER DID THE ABS .... Brakes worked great ..... good luck .... Mike ..... PS.. how many miles on the Pads now?
    I might not put it in the same terms. But my conclusion is 100% in agreement here. If a company is going to rip you off like this, I'm not sure I'd trust them to do the work claimed either. You need to go elsewhere or do it yourself. If you pay these guys You know you're bending over before you write the check.

A lot of confusion about brake fluids. I think some are confusing DOT 5 with DOT 5.1. An understandable mistake. But a very important one.

Here is an article that will clear it all up and get everyone on the same page.
    https://epicbleedsolutions.com/blogs...-1-brake-fluid

The bottom line is that not all 5.1 is better than 4. And who among us has ever suffered brake failure due to heat (boiling) brake fluid? I've never heard of it in a Spyder. In a circuit track racing machine, yes, 5.1 would be a great advantage. But in the Spyder. It's simply overkill. Not that I'm against overkill. Just that it should be understood as such.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2022 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I might not put it in the same terms. But my conclusion is 100% in agreement here. If a company is going to rip you off like this. I'm not sure I'd trust them to do the work claimed either. You need to go elsewhere or do it yourself. If you pay these guys. You know you're bending over before you write the check.

A lot of confusion about brake fluids. I think some are confusing DOT 5 with DOT 5.1. An understandable mistake. But a very important one.

Here is an article that will clear it all up and get everyone on the same page.
    https://epicbleedsolutions.com/blogs...-1-brake-fluid

The bottom line is that not all 5.1 is better than 4. And who among us has ever suffered brake failure due to heat (boiling) brake fluid? I've never heard of it in a Spyder. In a circuit track racing machine, yes, 5.1 would be a great advantage. But in the Spyder. It's simply overkill. Not that I'm against overkill. Just that it should be understood as such.
    Yes DOT 5 is the bad one for sure. (BRP Spyder calls for DOT 4) The 5.1 should be ok if you want to spend that amount of money; but I will not be the test pilot for that on a Spyder.
    And I do agree they get way to much for a brake fluid change but I have seen a lot higher than the 425 above in places, crazy.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 08-19-2022 at 07:16 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I just checked. When I had the brake system flushed and refilled at a dealer in 2019, it was 1 hour charge $76 and 1 qt. brake fluid (DOT 4.0) $5.99.

Find another dealer!!
    I agree.....I just had mine done today by the dealer. Total cost IN CANADIAN DOLLARS.....$159.00

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

This post is a follow up to a previous post I submitted about a terrible squeaking chirping sound from what seemed to be coming from front and rear of the bike when I would brake and after I then accelerated. Blueknight helped with some insight that I wasn't able to do since I don't have a jack. So, Wow thanks for all the input. 15000 miles on my 17 F3 Ltd. & the brakes started squealing about a week ago. Got worse so brought bike in to Imotorsports to have them checked. After a quick check, I was told Front left was more worn than front right- they will be done in pairs as usual. They will let me know about rear brake and call me before they do any work after they spend more time looking more thoroughly. They brought up flushing brake fluid if needed, they looked at maintenance schedule and said it should be done every 2 years. I haven't checked my manual yet because they have the bike, nor have I checked that info out online. They will also do an oil change and the sprocket inspection too. Everyones knowledge here will help me level the playing field so they don't take me for a ride. Imotorsports has always taken care of me in the past - They have always serviced it since I have bought it there. I don't think, but I do hope I am not being taken for a proverbial screwing with an oil change! haha
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2022 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Break (shatter, broken) - brake (slow down, stop) Bloody auto-correct! %-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This post is a follow up to a previous post I submitted about a terrible squeaking chirping sound from what seemed to be coming from front and rear of the bike when I would brake and after I then accelerated. Blueknight helped with some insight that I wasn't able to do since I don't have a jack. So, Wow thanks for all the input. 15000 miles on my 17 F3 Ltd. & the brakes started squealing about a week ago. Got worse so brought bike in to Imotorsports to have them checked. After a quick check, I was told Front left was more worn than front right- they will be done in pairs as usual. They will let me know about rear brake and call me before they do any work after they spend more time looking more thoroughly. They brought up flushing brake fluid if needed, they looked at maintenance schedule and said it should be done every 2 years. I haven't checked my manual yet because they have the bike, nor have I checked that info out online. They will also do an oil change and the sprocket inspection too. Everyones knowledge here will help me level the playing field so they don't take me for a ride. Imotorsports has always taken care of me in the past - They have always serviced it since I have bought it there. I don't think, but I do hope I am not being taken for a proverbial screwing with an oil change! haha
    I'm 99% sure you do have a jack that will work ..... If you own a Car, check and see if it has a " Scissor " jack ( most common type for cars today ) .... if so, depending on what I'm doing I use one or two .... I don't think a worn rotor will cause it to squeak .... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2022 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Took my '17 RTL in for service in fall of '20 its 4th service. Had the brake fluid changed an bled since they hadnt done that yet on any of the services. Come time to pay they charged me 3 hrs time to do it at $120 an hr.. WTH I asked when paying. The service writer said it was a time consuming job to change an bleed. Then the hrs for the service done was added on, 4 more hrs.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Fluid Flush

Quote Originally Posted by ned64 View Post
    Took my '17 RTL in for service in fall of '20 its 4th service. Had the brake fluid changed an bled since they hadnt done that yet on any of the services. Come time to pay they charged me 3 hrs time to do it at $120 an hr.. WTH I asked when paying. The service writer said it was a time consuming job to change an bleed. Then the hrs for the service done was added on, 4 more hrs.
    Yes, This is the Covid-19 Cost of doing business. I got the same prices from my local dealer. They did the Fluid Flush and said the 'the Book' says this is a 3 Hrs job. Next time I will try and do this Brake Fluid Flush my self using Speed Bleeders. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ned64 View Post
    Maybe with a slow mechanic and a BUDS purge. Nether of which are needed. I always wonder if they actually do the BUDS purge. I have a hard time not being skeptical of service. It's so much easier to say you did it. And who will ever know? I always hope I'm wrong about this.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

DOT 5.1 is compatible with DOT 3/4..... my husband is a Master Technician and knows what he's doing... Thank you for your concern over a lowly female working on her Spyder....
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Spyder Garage

2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Hello Jane1330 Your brake system had DOT 4.0 brake fluid in it. You would need to flush your system many times with a buds unit to change the type of fluid you use. DOT 5.1 cannot mix with 4.0. and not very good for ABS. You cannot flush all the DOT 4.0 fluid out of the ABS system without a buds unit. See this article https://brakefluidstore.com/differen...t-4-and-dot-5/
    Look it up, DOT 5.1 IS dot3/4 compatible.....
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WDAVEY View Post
    Jane, please check your owners manual. My 21 RTL requires DOT 4.
    I used DOT 5.1 for a reason.....
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Spyder Garage

Just FYI, a high quality pneumatic bleeder will cost you around 225 to 250 at NAPA. That's ~half the cost your dealer quoted you add in the parts & brake fluid and you still get out cheaper than the dealer quoted and you have a durable tool that can be used on every brake job in the future.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used DOT 5.1 for a reason.....
    What reason?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Yes your brake fluid should be changed after two years per manual. Same for most all bikes. I hope all gos well!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

What reason?
    Availability, all the reason I need....
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Spyder Garage

What reason?
    Higher wet and dry boiling points. DOT 4 is what is called for in the owner's manual but 5.1 is a step up.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for all the great info- I have some great questions to ask before any service is done. Once again , but I'll say what has been said many times before- WHAT A GREAT COMMUNITY WE HAVE WITH SPYDERLOVERS AND ALL ITS PEOPLE!