Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default First long trip on the F3

I will be making a trip down to see family in Sylvester, Ga. then making my way back up to Mayland via the Cherohala Skyway / Blue Ridge Parkway in the last week of July.

First time long trip for me and was looking for advice on what to pack such as contents for emergency tool kits, best strap on bag for a luggage rack/ rear seat on a corbin.

Or maybe just what to expect on the way especially on the CS/BRP I am Familiar with the Skyline Drive portion in Va. but clueless on the rest.

Also any recommendations as far as lodging goes would be Greatly appreciated. I am driving my base F3 that has no tupperware so storage will be limited to whatever I can strap on my seat/Luggage Rack on my backrest.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I carry a tire repair kit and a small 12v compressor, cleaning supplies (just an old rag for washing, micro fibre towel, and a cleaner for the windshield). These work great for strapping anything down. As for bags about anything waterproof (I still use an old HD bag I have). Other than that, just your personal items.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

As far as emergency tools. Cell phone, credit card, and tire repair kit. Not much you can do on the roadside with a Spyder. Many companies make a tailbag that will strap to the seat behind you. Mine is a lesser known brand name, but it will hold plenty for a trip. Roll of quarters for a laundromat helps too. There is a new closure on the BRP until November of 2024. The road from Laurel Springs to Glendale Springs in North Carolina is closed for bridge replacement. There are also a couple of closures around Roanoke, Va. that are supposed to be near completion by now. If you do have to detour the routes are usually clearly marked and are usually pretty nice roads themselves. Christa's Country Corner near MP 312 at Pineola, NC is a must for a bite to eat. As far as accomodations just about any of the towns near the Parkway will have places to stay. I like Bedford, Virginia when I am going south, but I never have had a bad experience at any of the places I have stayed. Some like the Blowing Rock area can be a bit pricey for an overnight traveler. There are little to no services on the Parkway in spots and for gas you will need to exit. You don't have to go far to find gas or chow though. I just returned from Maggie Valley and riding the Parkway north. I am riding it back to the south and to Maggie in October. It never gets old.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Tool kit, compressor for tires and shocks, and tire repair items. Rain Gear and an extra pair of gloves.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

above: Cell Phone some form credit/Various pre paid cards, Hydration & snacks22E7559A-737E-426D-B788-78502593F00A.jpg
    plan all you can just be flexible & spontaneous to enjoy more unexpected things you may find along the way AMA memberships roadside adds some peace of mind. https://americanmotorcyclist.com/
    Collect a list of dealers addresses & phone numbers along your route to have on hand also some good just for a visit have a snack, ask about local sights(truck stops too) plenty of photo space memory however you may like. Laundromat & or hotel service as well as mailing items back home advisable rather than trying to carry. Many hotel chains have memberships rewards & suitable reservation systems to guarantee a room. (Ask about covered parking some do allow) keep someone informed to your progress & location fairly regularly ENJOY

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

if your overnight stop might be in Little Switzerland, here is a cheaper place to stay. They serve free breakfast and supper with room charge. https://alpineinnnc.com/

here is the more expensive place, looks like a Swiss Chalet https://www.switzerlandinn.com/ both have real good views of valley, they are on top of mountain ridge, overlooking valley.

you will want to stop at highest point(just over 6,000 ft)on BRP, just north on Maggie Valley, there is a nice big parking area.

IF you have time, and I highly recommend, Mt Mitchel, highest point east of Mississippi River. about 6,648ft. it is a FREE state park
    Last edited by Woodaddict; 07-01-2022 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Mt M
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

What others have said. If you don't already own some, Rok Straps cannot be beat for strapping things down. Amazon sells them and they actually have some Amazon Basics branded versions now which are very well made and cheaper. Good luck on your journey and keep the shiny side up.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    What others have said. If you don't already own some, Rok Straps cannot be beat for strapping things down. Amazon sells them and they actually have some Amazon Basics branded versions now which are very well made and cheaper. Good luck on your journey and keep the shiny side up.
    I was thinking of getting the Momentum Vagabond or Road Warrior bags from lamonster ,it has its own straps and can double as a backrest for me. Although I could use the Rok straps for my "overnight bag" that I can put on the luggage rack.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Forgot to mention if depending on BRP warranty roadside program: will need VIN# & usually the closest dealer you want to take to. They may look up, but really not a network support. Just the operators google search from info you give them. Personal experience they provided the phone number & that still was not much help (years ago & was fairly bad mood considering situation ). With the AMA operators does help to request a flatbed tow usually more available than a motorcycle tow equipped truck. Also review tie-down procedure in the manual, very well may be Tow’s first Spyder.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I met some friends from NY in Asheville on 6/16 and rode north on the BRP with them from A'ville to Blowing Rock where they continued north on the Pkwy to Roanoke. They told me that just south of the NC/VA state line there was a detour that took them off the Pkwy and through some real broad red neck, narrow little mind country that they were very glad to get out of. You may find some Pkwy construction still ongoing in this area. There is a stretch north of A'ville where the Pkwy is marked "Rough Road" for quite a stretch and the sign isn't kidding; pot holes, broken pavement, etc. I agree with Woodaddict, the ride up Mt. Mitchell is a must see/do. Stuff a small first aid kit in your luggage and I strongly recommend a Camelbak for hydration.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    if your overnight stop might be in Little Switzerland, here is a cheaper place to stay. They serve free breakfast and supper with room charge. https://alpineinnnc.com/

here is the more expensive place, looks like a Swiss Chalet https://www.switzerlandinn.com/ both have real good views of valley, they are on top of mountain ridge, overlooking valley.

you will want to stop at highest point(just over 6,000 ft)on BRP, just north on Maggie Valley, there is a nice big parking area.

IF you have time, and I highly recommend, Mt Mitchel, highest point east of Mississippi River. about 6,648ft. it is a FREE state park
    Thanks for the links, I will be needing someplace to stay half way between Georgia and Md. I will see how these work out on my timeline.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Forgot to mention if depending on BRP warranty roadside program: will need VIN# & usually the closest dealer you want to take to. They may look up, but really not a network support. Just the operators google search from info you give them. Personal experience they provided the phone number & that still was not much help (years ago & was fairly bad mood considering situation ). With the AMA operators does help to request a flatbed tow usually more available than a motorcycle tow equipped truck. Also review tie-down procedure in the manual, very well may be Tow’s first Spyder.
    After 40 years of going up and down 95 between the DC area and Raleigh I always keep an active AAA membership. Had to use it unfortunately when I was run off the road last year by a cage.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Tool kit, compressor for tires and shocks, and tire repair items. Rain Gear and an extra pair of gloves.
    We recently did a 1,500 mile trip on our Spyders. I bought a pair of dishwashing gloves. I had two pairs of motorcycle gloves, but once they got wet, it was uncomfortable. The waterproof dishwashing gloves worked well.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

OK, So I went and ordered the following items for the trip ...

REV'IT! Pacific 3 H2O Rainsuit

Oxford Rain Seal Over Boots

Rok straps and a good ole Igloo cooler to strap on the rear shelf.

KEMIMOTO Motorcycle Dry Bag 50L Waterproof Motorcycle Duffel Bag

and DISHWASHING GLOVES I'll just switch to those by default when I put my rain gear on. Thanks for that Idea Rick!

I'll have spare boots and gloves in the dry bag just in case. It has a compartment just for that.

I got lucky and was able to reserve a room at the dragon on the tail of the dragon at deals gap during a weekday. I will be travelling from Tifton Ga. early in the morning so I will be headed up to the west entrance to the CheroHala Skyway and work my way over to the dragon and stay there the night.

I will hit the Blue Ridge Parkway the next day and stay in Roanoke , sorry Woodaddict I tried to make my timeline work to go to Little Switzerland but it just didn't work out this trip. The alpine inn looks awesome and want to head back there sometime but not this time as I have my "bucket list" of must haves this trip.

I also just got my Motohorn installed today and it aint no joke that thing is frigging loud. I just need to find a switch for my fog lights as my OEM switch just crapped the bed and got stuck in the on position and I need a new one now. Changed the oil last week so that is all good. Hopefully everything will make it here on time.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 07-07-2022 at 11:46 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

If you wind up staying at Little Switzerland at Big Lynn's Don't stay in 117-120 rooms I stayed there last year after and left the second night ,(room 117) was going to stay there a week.

Bring a coat with a liner in it , it gets cool in the higher elevations , enjoy the ride.
    Wish I was going there too. I love that area.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

I'm jealous of your trip - we did the Cherohala, Blue Ridge, Tail ride several years back with our two wheeler. Trying to get back there now that we own a Spyder. Enjoy that trip!

The only thing I can recommend that we have always carried was a tire kit and small compressor (Other than the bike's tool kit (and now, on Spyders, the obligatory 2 -12mm wrenches)). All the above advice is solid in my opinion.
    I never thought of dishwashing gloves..........
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Well, I can take the light switch off my list. Luckily motorsports inc. in Hanover had one but wow, $112.0 for an OEM Auxiliary light switch. Hopefully this one lasts more than 18 months like the original one did. and I keep my baby in the garage so it hasn't been exposed to anything other than the storm a couple of weeks ago.

Which air compressor does everyone use?

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

This may sound silly but, pack a couple pair of extra socks. Nothing beats dry socks when you need them.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Yep those will be in the dry bag , I got the Kemimoto 50 L bag it is supposed to hold 5 days of clothes and keep them dry. It also has a bottom pocket for boots and gloves as well as a side pocket. I will probably line it with a trash bag as just in case until I can trust it.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 07-08-2022 at 06:00 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post

Which air compressor does everyone use?
    I used to carry the Harbor Freight one,
    https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-10...tor-63745.html

and I will again, once I get a 12V outlet installed on the bike, but for now, I switched over to a Ryobi battery operated one,
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I had to replace the chuck, I hate the lever-lock. You lose too much air letting it loose.

Hopefully the links work.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I decided to go with something a little more compact and doesn't connect to the electrical system.

Also saw with all of the "portable" battery powered or 12v compressors of that size there were heat issues with the compressor.

Got the V1 tire repair kit.

It is a little more of an expensive one but it has a metal chuck to where other companies had a plastic chuck. Just plug and pop a Co2 cart. Should only take one to get my quatracs to 18 depending on the outside temp.

I could see where there could be problems with this in cold weather but I will be in mostly hot weather so not a worry.

3 Bottles for 47 PSI on 120/70R17
    3 Bottles for 32 PSI on 180/55R17
    4 Bottles for 40 PSI on 195/65R15

Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 07-12-2022 at 01:10 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

The dishwashing gloves have been with me on the last 4 bikes/trike/Spyder I have owned.
    Friends laughed like crazy when they saw them, wouldn't be caught dead wearing them...
    I really don't care how it looks - they work great and I didn't spend an arm and a leg on fancy "waterproof" gloves.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    The dishwashing gloves have been with me on the last 4 bikes/trike/Spyder I have owned.
    Friends laughed like crazy when they saw them, wouldn't be caught dead wearing them...
    I really don't care how it looks - they work great and I didn't spend an arm and a leg on fancy "waterproof" gloves.
    I didn't even have to go out to get them I just realized I have a fresh pair out in the garage still in the package I haven't used yet. Normally I use them for spreading amdro and weed and feed with.

They are a nice bright yellow to go with the yellow and black rainsuit. My hands will be very visible!
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 07-12-2022 at 06:34 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I started my journey yesterday and saw my son in Richmond Virginia then proceeded to go down and see my aunt and uncle in Raleigh North Carolina and stayed there the night, then proceeded today from Raleigh down to Tifton Georgia. No pictures to post yet as all I was doing was sitting in stop and go traffic on 95 both days was so glad to get off of it in Savannah today and head down 16. I will probably post some pictures once I start making it up towards the Cherohala skyway.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Time to update your riding map! Be safe. We were down that way 2 weeks ago when all the flooding and tornados came through. The northern part of the parkway was a mess! Be safe.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”