Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Honestly, the only reason I'd take the course is if it was required by the state, or if it'll save me money on insurance.

I just don't believe there's any NEW things I can learn....especially on some dinky parklng lot where you can't get any speed going and practice emergency/evasive maneuvers to its full effect.

In my opinion, of course.
    I did it just go to get familiar with the controls, lack of front brake, no counter steering, semi auto shifting, no clutch, and no left foot gear shift. It helped me figure out the inherent limits of the machine. Despite being in a parking lot, it was surprisingly challenging and helped me overcome the "death grip" and the "oh my it's going over" feeling. I saved the $99 on my insurance premium so it was a wash. Just 12 or so hours of my time and I made some new friends too. I already had my motorcycle license so I didn't need the course for that - but I admit it was fun and essentially free. If it didn't teach me a lot of new life saving skills, it certainly made me, as a new Spyder rider, get a lot more enjoyment out of my machine in a shorter period of time, so for that it was worth it alone. I would recommend it just for the laughs I had.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-20-2022 at 06:14 PM. Reason: ,'s ;-)
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Rode my Honda Shadow Phantom to the dealership. Waited about 2 hours to sign the paperwork because they were "busy". The sales guy took me out back where I saw my Spyder for the first time (bought sight unseen). He bluetoothed my phone, showed me the gears, brake, etc. and off I went. Rode an hour and a half home. No problems ever with looking for front brake, foot shifting, etc. The only issue I had was the left/right sway from gripping the handlebars too tight. Took about 300 to 600 miles to kill that issue. These things are easy to ride....and fun.

sn
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerandchips View Post
    Rode my Honda Shadow Phantom to the dealership. Waited about 2 hours to sign the paperwork because they were "busy". The sales guy took me out back where I saw my Spyder for the first time (bought sight unseen). He bluetoothed my phone, showed me the gears, brake, etc. and off I went. Rode an hour and a half home. No problems ever with looking for front brake, foot shifting, etc. The only issue I had was the left/right sway from gripping the handlebars too tight. Took about 300 to 600 miles to kill that issue. These things are easy to ride....and fun.

sn
    That takes guts to buy something like a Spyder "sight unseen". What if you really hated it ??

Me ?? I tried to test ride one in our Reno dealership. The guy said, "Sure, you can test ride it. But you can't leave the parking lot".

I'm thinking to myself, "Just what kind of bull**** test ride is that ?? I can't even get out of 2nd, for crying out loud"

So I did the next best thing and rented one in Vegas. (Don't think that outfit is there anymore). There, I took a Spyder through its paces: in-town 25-35 mph putts, all the way to 80 mph blasts down an interstate.

It was then and there that we decided that a Spyder will somehow make its way into our garage. And a few months later, a 2018 RT Limited found its way there !!
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think MSF Basic training is good for anyone never having ridden a motorcycle because it teaches awareness more than actual riding skills. Plus, for those states where a motorcycle endorsement is required for a Spyder, a new Ryder still needs to know what's on the written test.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think MSF Basic training is good for anyone never having ridden a motorcycle because it teaches awareness more than actual riding skills. Plus, for those states where a motorcycle endorsement is required for a Spyder, a new Ryder still needs to know what's on the written test.
    I totally agree with this statement. Illinois Department of Transportation offers motorcycle and three wheel motorcycle training throughout the State for $20. My class was three days, a Thursday evening and eight hours on Saturday and Sunday. We rode Rykers on an enclosed course at a local community college and used one of their classrooms. It was a wonderful event for my wife and I to attend. The instructors were phenomenal and said they teach the same class to motorcyclists at a local Harley Davidson dealer for $250.

The classroom part was eye opening for all who attended whether they were new or experienced riders who never took a safety course. They drive time in the supplied Rykers was fun and a good time to learn about how they operate and handle through a variety of traffic situations. My wife and I attended the class which I must warn you fills up fast and the classroom sizes are small. After going through our program we received a card to bring by to our IDOT DMV license facility. Our written and driving test were all performed at the training event so all we needed were photos. With possession of the motorcycle safety training course we were entitled to a small discount on our insurance. A week after we took our safety class we purchased a new Spyder RT Limited and began driving her upon the roads.

I would highly recommend this program to others. We were told about it at iMotorsports in Villa Park. The class was through Harper College in Palatine. They have multiple training sites in Northern Illinois. If you’re not in this area check at the IDOT website for motorcycle training to find a location throughout the state. It was a good choice for us because we did not own a Spyder at the time nor did we know a owner who did and would allow us to take the test at the DMV using their bike.
    Last edited by Woodenfish; 04-12-2022 at 02:58 PM.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Shoei Neotec 3
    Cardo Packtalk Edge Duo
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

I second this. I took the MSF course before I got my first M license and it was great--I used skills learned in that class more than once over the several years I was riding. Anyway, life happens and I found myself without a motorcycle for a period of 3 or 4 years, so I took the class again when I was able to buy another bike--just to refresh my skills (I still had the M endorsement on my license, so I didn't need it for that). During the class, one of the guys who'd never ridden asked me why I was there since it seemed I already knew how to ride. I just told him there's no substitute to practicing those skills because when you ride a motorcycle long enough, you're going to need to know how to avoid a collision. I never took the class again when I switched from 2 to 3 wheels, but I still rely on evasive maneuvers I learned from MSF. Plus there's the insurance discount.
    '22 Spyder RT in Hyper Silver
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Several years ago I took the state sponsored basic training course even though I'd ridden my Goldwing for a few years already. A telling testimony about it's worth was the fact, according to the instructor, there was a cadre of senior riders who took the course every year simply for the refresh value.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    That takes guts to buy something like a Spyder "sight unseen". What if you really hated it ??

Me ?? I tried to test ride one in our Reno dealership. The guy said, "Sure, you can test ride it. But you can't leave the parking lot".

I'm thinking to myself, "Just what kind of bull**** test ride is that ?? I can't even get out of 2nd, for crying out loud"

So I did the next best thing and rented one in Vegas. (Don't think that outfit is there anymore). There, I took a Spyder through its paces: in-town 25-35 mph putts, all the way to 80 mph blasts down an interstate.

It was then and there that we decided that a Spyder will somehow make its way into our garage. And a few months later, a 2018 RT Limited found its way there !!
    I did research before I purchased but I had faith on the experience. I just wish I had known about the fitment issues. I'm furious over that still. But, that is another issue
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerandchips View Post
    I did research before I purchased but I had faith on the experience. I just wish I had known about the fitment issues. I'm furious over that still. But, that is another issue
    I bought mine sight unseen as well. After a couple decades riding 2 wheels, at 65 I was finding the weight of my Yamaha Venture to be a bit much in parking lot situations. I had guys I ride with who have Spyders but I had not ridden one; had not even sat on a RT. Found a fabulous deal on a demo 2018 RTL about 900 miles/ 1500km away, so a hopped on a plane, picked up the bike and rode it home over 2 days. First 100 km I thought "What the hell did I just do?"... by the time I got home I was totally hooked. As others have said, unlearn counter-steering and the death grip on the bars and just enjoy!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

I rode two wheels for 50 years; after riding 25 years I took a two wheel course; it suprised me what I learnt and was doing wrong. It made me a better rider, they pointed out just little things I was doing wrong. Having someone watch while you are on course so they can see things sure helps. Then when I got my Spyder I took a class and learnt things that Spyders like and do not like. Enjoyed the class, met some new friends. I feel you can always learn something new that can help you ride better. Just like on this Forum, there's a lot of info to maybe help you and your Spyder ryding better.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2022 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Caps & them = then ;-)

Spyder Garage

I took the Can Am rider course in Memphis recently and really enjoyed it. I originally took it to see if I would like Can Am's, but also because of my lack of meaningful experience with 2 wheel motorcycles, I felt it was necessary. I think the most valuable thing it gave me are the exercises to practice on for when I am able to purchase a new Spyder. I know nothing is as good as real live riding on roads for experience, but the practice exercises will help me in getting comfortable with riding a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Training...probably not..practice, absolutely, especially transitioning from 2 wheels. My wife never rode 2 wheels, but she hopped on a Ryker and just "got it"....Now she's on a '21 RT and doing awesome.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Training?

....You can do what want for training.
    I have always been a Safety First type of person.
    The Life you Save might be Yours.
    Only have One Life to Live ....
    Last edited by Little Blue; 04-19-2022 at 09:14 PM.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy4810 View Post
    Kind of hard to go to training when the closest is over 400 miles away.
    150 miles isn't much better. I'd be willing to take a training class. But, that's too far away.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ....You can do what want for training.
    I have always been a Safety First type of person.
    The Life you Save might be Yours.
    Only have One Life to Live ....
    I’ve always been a 2342D631-C3FA-4E2D-8A52-1593591D8AA6.jpeg kinda guy not really I’m a big safety proponent
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GrampaEJ View Post
    150 miles isn't much better. I'd be willing to take a training class. But, that's too far away.
    I hear you, although I drove 175 miles to attend the Three Wheel Basics class sponsored by BRP. I don’t regret one mile of the trip nor the cost of the motel. Plus I’ve been riding 2 wheels for many years and have been thru 3 safety classes on two wheels and have learned something useful at each and every class, including the Spyder class. I’d urge you and any one else to attend the class regardless of your prior experience, we’re never too old to learn until we’re dead
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Sea-To-Sky)
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Experience riding a snowmobile is the closest thing to driving a Spyder. I last rode a motorcycle in like 1984(Kawasaki 650 SR), however rode snowmobiles for years up until around 2006. In end of Oct 2020 I bought the used 2018 Spyder and took the $99 course here in Arizona in early November that year. Washington State would not except the Arizona course for my drivers license endorsement, so I just took the course again in Washington when I got home last spring. I do not regret either course.

The thing about the Spyder is DO NOT try to steer it on the open road, just guide it! That is to correct to the left, push forward lightly on the right handle bar and the other way around to correct the right. I run cruise control most of the time on the open roads and just rest my hands on the handle bars. Twisties, shift your weight to the inside on a corner like the snowmobile and look to where you want the trike to go.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I work on the basis that you might get to the same level as taking a course, but the course accelerates getting to that level of comfort and proficiency. This reduces the chance something bad might happen during the extended period of gaining the experience. Here in Utah you can ride a Spyder or Riker with a full motorcycle license, but I think as we now have a tiered scheme for motorcycles you might have to have the second tier bike license to ride an engine over 600 cc, but I’m not sure about that detail. If you however do not have a motorcycle endorsement you have to get a 3 wheeler endorsement, easily done through the training. However going this route does not cover you for motorcycle. Now 3 wheelers need a license depending of what kind of trike you have. 3 wheel vehicles with side by side seating and a steering wheel class as auto cycles so you only need car license. So Vanderhalls and Polaris vehicles are effectively classed as cars for licensing purposes in Utah. Complicated, but this has all happened piecemeal and nobody thought this out from a clean sheet of paper as these various generations of vehicles became type approved. I’ve no idea if there is a state testing ground that exists for trikes? Even for motorcycles it has a test for tier two motorcycles that is very difficult to pass unless you use a big bike with limited steering lock. I took my bike examiner had to tell me where to lose the minimum ate the Triumph Thunderbird Sport could not physically turn the tightest corners. It was just stupid. The course was set up for a moped or very small bike. I’ve no idea how they cope, if at all with trikes. I asked these questions of the licensing bureau and the person had absolutely no idea of how it all worked. How did the license tie ring apply to trikes, they had no clue and they said that would probably make up what they thought was sensible. Heaven help us in how that would all work in places like California or New Jersey?
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Total newbies take the course. It will instill proper habits.
    My wife got her M/C license at 50 by taking the MSF course. She only 2-wheel M/C'ed for a few years and took a break until she turned 65 and said I need a Spyder. Since we snowmobile the Spyder was an easy transition for her, ''it's like a sled on asphalt'' is her comparison.
    For me when I take her Spyder for a spin it's the no hand brakes mental flag that has to be stuck in my old head since I'm still on my Road King.
    The HD is getting heavier by the year now, no gold in those golden years for sure.
    Hopefully the market will get better next year either new or used so I can transition over to a F3 for myself.
    Nothing like being ''in the wind''.
    Last edited by cravenfun; 04-20-2022 at 10:39 AM.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

I had no trouble switching from 2 wheels to 3 wheels. Traded my 2 wheeler in and drove off with a 2012 RTS. Only two things took a little getting used to was, reaching for the clutch handle and secondly not putting my feet down when stopped. As far as driving & cornering with it I caught on pretty fast.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I think the value of the course is way more than 50% defined by the instructor or maybe lack thereof.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I was quite surprised to find that the owner's manual of my 2012 RTL contained a training course layout with several different exercises diagramed. I went to Walmart and bought a couple of packages of big red plastic drink cups to use as cones. I have found that many churches have large parking lots and they are mostly empty Monday thru Saturday, so I set up in one of those and had lots of fun with the practice. That was what helped me make the transition from 47 years on 2 wheels. As for a class, especially if you have not been a rider before, you could learn attitudes and awareness that you might not pick up except thru hard experience. It will also point out bad habits that have crept in over the years and remind you of things you should be doing but may have been neglecting. I've had my M/C license since they started issuing them in Utah in 1970. The course they used back then was the parking lot of the driver's license office on 5th West in Provo, very small. The only part that really unnerved me was when the examiner had me go to the far end and accelerate as hard as I could then stop on a line. And he stood behind the line. I made the stop. Oh I was on a Norton that could accelerate pretty hard.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-21-2022 at 02:18 AM. Reason: ' ' 's after ,'s ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

My wife was thinking about taking the course but it was a 2 day event and where it was being offered was a bit too far for her to go. I took her out to a parking lot a few times to get used to the trike but it didn't take long before she was riding highway speeds. The course may have helped but me taking her out and her having riding time, I think, was much more advantageous to her.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Funny thing happened Wednesday. I offered to haul a friends golf cart from the East Valley up to Show Low where they summer out of the valley heat. We stopped at the bottom of the Salt River Canyon, and use the restroom and stretched our legs. There were two HD guys in the parking lot and I thought about saying I had a three wheeler as I was getting to old for a two wheeler. As I came out of the restroom I watched one of the guys drop his Harley!!!! Guest my thoughts jinxed him!
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 04-23-2022 at 02:53 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I offered to haul a fried golf cart from .......
    A fried golf cart???

I know you meant "friend's golf cart" but some typos are just too good to ignore!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)